X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SunEagle
    replied
    Originally posted by Sunking
    True but much easier to just use the Power Factor where Watts = PF x VA.

Doesn't require a calculator, only a 5th grade education.
    Boy. There is always someone smarter that likes to give me a poke.

I do use the formula to determine how much kvar is needed to improve a poor power factor.

Like you said the math is easy and used in many applications.

Leave a comment:

• Sunking
    replied
    Originally posted by SunEagle
    The formula is also used to calculate power factor where the based is kw the height is kvar and the hypotenuse is kva. The angle between the kw and kva is the % power factor.
    True but much easier to just use the Power Factor where Watts = PF x VA.

Doesn't require a calculator, only a 5th grade education.

Leave a comment:

• SunEagle
    replied
    Correct any unit of measurement works. Like building a foundation for a building or laying out walls. It is the exact same formula used to find the relationship of AC impedance and resistance relationship.
    The formula is also used to calculate power factor where the based is kw the height is kvar and the hypotenuse is kva. The angle between the kw and kva is the % power factor.

Leave a comment:

• Sunking
    replied
    Originally posted by Naptown
    Or any numbers for that matter
    In a right triangle base squared + height squared = hypotenuse squared
    Very useful when squaring up a rectangle by yourself.
    Correct any unit of measurement works. Like building a foundation for a building or laying out walls. It is the exact same formula used to find the relationship of AC impedance and resistance relationship.

Leave a comment:

• Naptown
    replied
    Or any numbers for that matter
    In a right triangle base squared + height squared = hypotenuse squared
    Very useful when squaring up a rectangle by yourself.

Leave a comment:

• Sunking
    replied
    Originally posted by Naptown
    Yes but 3 squared + 4 squared = 5 squared
    The Pythagorean theorem
    Correct to make a perfect right triangle is what any carpenter knows. Take 3 toothpicks. One 3-inch, 4-inch, and 5 inch. Lay them down with the ends touching to form a right triangle, and you will have a perfect 90 degree right triangle. Very simple basic trigonometry.

Leave a comment:

• Naptown
    replied
    Yes but 3 squared + 4 squared = 5 squared
    The Pythagorean theorem

Leave a comment:

• Sunking
    replied
    Originally posted by shella
    lol i was really really trying to understand........ but i got lost when 3+4 = 5
    3 + 4 does equal 5. Any carpenter or steel man will tell you that.

Leave a comment:

• shella
    replied
    I chuckled when I first read this post. This is pretty much a DIY forum and the posters looking for help have ZERO electrical knowledge and all this is is GREEK to them and will never understand one bit of it.
    lol i was really really trying to understand........ but i got lost when 3+4 = 5

Leave a comment:

• gore1977
    replied
    OK!

Leave a comment:

• Beanyboy57
    replied
    Originally posted by SunEagle
    Maybe not drop out of the conversation just tone down your attitude that anyone that does not believe in what you believe in is old fashion or gets a profit from the fossil fuel industry.

I have been working with solar pv systems since the mid 70's. I truly believe in this technology along with finding the holey grail of batteries. I also know that people who think renewable energy sources will provide us with 100% of our needs do not know the rest of the story. Being in the electrical engineering and power distribution field for 40 years I believe I have learned a few things that can and can't happen with our current technology.

So instead of attacking others or using fear tactics with reference to radioactivity and those nasty fossil fuel pollutants try to keep an open mind while we help you learn more about this technology. I am on your side and want this technology to work but I am also pragmatic and realize that wishing for something to happen and learning how to make it happen are two different things.
    Fair comment, point accepted.

Leave a comment:

• inetdog
    replied
    Think about that a second or two. Those that put McCarthy down was from the Screen Actors Guild (SAG) which is composed of actors, news media, and broadcast professionals. They now have their man in office. That was the start of Political Correctness and censorship in the USA.
    I think this thread has wandered off topic into an area better continued in the General discussion forum. Just my opinion.

Leave a comment:

• Sunking
    replied
    Originally posted by Solarhobby
    I then pointed out to my child that the person residing in the white house (he who must not be named) is hell bent on redistribution of wealth. McCarthy wasn't such a witch hunter after all!
    You think they pointed this out in school? Not a chance!
    Think about that a second or two. Those that put McCarthy down was from the Screen Actors Guild (SAG) which is composed of actors, news media, and broadcast professionals. They now have their man in office. That was the start of Political Correctness and censorship in the USA.

Leave a comment:

• SunEagle
    replied
    Boy you're not kidding!
    I have a teenager who I was helping study history recently. The book discussed the roots of communism and Marxism where it was described that the main tenant of Marxism was redistribution of wealth. A couple chapters later McCarthy was discussed and demonized for his "witch hunt".
    I then pointed out to my child that the person residing in the white house (he who must not be named) is hell bent on redistribution of wealth. McCarthy wasn't such a witch hunter after all!
    You think they pointed this out in school? Not a chance!

Anyway, does anyone use capacitors to improve the power factor of their load?
    Yes capacitors will improve your power factor, but they can also worsen your power factor depending on the amount of harmonic distortion is on your power distribution system.

The harmonics are generated by electronic equipment (computers, ups, inverters) and variable frequency drives for your motors. If you don't install capacitors with harmonic mitigating capabilities you may be just wasting your money.

Leave a comment:

• Naptown
    replied
    OOPs my bad.
    Just kidding The crack was about us not you.

Leave a comment:

Working...