Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • judahis
    • Jul 2011

Goal zero portable systems

Has anyone had experience with Goal Zero (Goal0) portable systems? I am thinking of buying a $500system (30 watt panel) and battery supplying supposedly 350 watts. Add-ons seems extremely expensive: another 30-watt panel for $300 and another battery (supply another 350 watts) for $300. Any other suppliers similar? Goal Zero seems to get good reviews. My idea is to buy another supplier's panels and/or batteries to the system but do not know how feasible (and might void warranty?)
  • Sunking
    Solar Fanatic
    • Feb 2010

$10/watt for a panel? Going rate is around $2/watt and some for less.
    MSEE, PE

Comment

• russ
      Solar Fanatic
      • Jul 2009

You need to tell what your goal is for anyone to make useful comments. With what information has been supplied Sunking is 100% correct.
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• Mike90250
        • May 2009

Movers dolly/hand truck, milk crate and zip ties. A good start for building your own, while getting more, and sending less.

And there is this idea, of my Monolith

not as portable.

Photo is of what I call, my Solar Monolith. (How-To) A group of us bought several Unisolar 64 panels back in 2001, as part of the Alternative Energy Zone Village at Burning Man. I wanted to make a self-contained "box" that was portable [ha!] and did not drag a bunch of wires around. Well, it's all in one box, and fairly neat, but with a full sheet of plywood, and a couple of deep cycle batteries, it's barely lug-able (photo of innards) . I used Mayor Roger's idea of a 4" PVC pipe as a roller, to load and unload from my truck. It's been to several fairs, and many trips to the Playa .
        Mono_2005_CS_056.JPG
        Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
        || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
        || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
        gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• Mike90250
          • May 2009

Movers dolly/hand truck, milk crate and zip ties. A good start for building your own, while getting more, and sending less.

And there is this idea, of my Monolith

not as portable.

Photo is of what I call, my Solar Monolith. (How-To) A group of us bought several Unisolar 64 panels back in 2001, as part of the Alternative Energy Zone Village at Burning Man. I wanted to make a self-contained "box" that was portable [ha!] and did not drag a bunch of wires around. Well, it's all in one box, and fairly neat, but with a full sheet of plywood, and a couple of deep cycle batteries, it's barely lug-able . I used Mayor Roger's idea of a 4" PVC pipe as a roller, to load and unload from my truck. It's been to several fairs, and many trips to the Playa .
          Mono_2005_CS_056.JPG

(photo of innards)
          Mono_2005_CS_061.JPG
          Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
          || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
          || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
          gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Working...