Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • azdave
    • Oct 2014

Originally posted by robbyg

Well that does kind of depend on what your power company charges per KWH of usage. Another factor is how much DIY effort your willing to do.
    If you are making your own packs from EV batteries you can get a pretty big bank of batteries for a fairly low cost but it's going to be a lot of work form start to finish.
    That's why he should not expect to save on his electric bill going 100% off-grid in Texas compared to being on-grid, especially with the load requirements he is looking at.

Dave W. Gilbert AZ
    6.63kW grid-tie owner

Comment

• Fullblast
      • Jun 2021

This is not about winning the lottery.

It's about monetizing surplus energy/passive income.

​​​​The 3250 watt mining rig is a really efficient one that I am considering buying.

​​​​Right now I have several 1350 watt rigs on full power, and 800 watts each on eco mode.

I see no reason why a 10-15kw solar system paired with a forklift battery can't power mining rigs during peak sun hours. They only need to be run 24/7 for max profit.

I know the best way to engineer a system is from the ground up on the loads you will be running. I have an RV, the fridge is 2.7 amps, and a 4.9 amp air conditioner.

The AC is 13.5 kw daily if run 24 hours and the fridge is 7.5kw daily. I'm not sure if those numbers are constant on the fridge, I do not use propane with it.
      Last edited by Fullblast; 08-06-2021, 01:49 AM.

Comment

• bcroe
        Solar Fanatic
        • Jan 2012

Originally posted by Fullblast

The AC is 13.5 kw daily if run 24 hours and the fridge is 7.5kw daily.
        Do you really mean, AC is 13.5 kwHOUR daily if run 24 hours and the fridge is
        7.5kwHOUR daily? My energy star fridge-freezer uses only 1 KWH a day.
        Bruce Roe

Comment

• Fullblast
          • Jun 2021

Originally posted by bcroe

Do you really mean, AC is 13.5 kwHOUR daily if run 24 hours and the fridge is
          7.5kwHOUR daily? My energy star fridge-freezer uses only 1 KWH a day.
          Bruce Roe
          Maybe I wrote that wrong. If the fridge is 2.7 amps at 115v it is 310.5 watts.

310.5x24 is 7452 watts.

That's what the label inside the door says. I'm not sure if that is a 2.7 amp constant or when the compressor kicks in. I'm having a hard time trying to find energy consumption online for my particular Dometic rv fridge.

Does my math checkout? Thanks

Comment

• SunEagle
            Super Moderator
            • Oct 2012

Maybe I wrote that wrong. If the fridge is 2.7 amps at 115v it is 310.5 watts.

310.5x24 is 7452 watts.

That's what the label inside the door says. I'm not sure if that is a 2.7 amp constant or when the compressor kicks in. I'm having a hard time trying to find energy consumption online for my particular Dometic rv fridge.

Does my math checkout? Thanks
            No. when you multiply a number by another number you should use the labels. So 310.5 watts x 24 hours = 7452 Watt Hours or 7.45kWh.

But you are correct your frig may not use 2.7 amps continuously and the voltage may be different than 115V. So your kWh calculation may be off.

Comment

• Fullblast
              • Jun 2021

Okay thank you. I found where it says 439 watts.

So it would be 10.5kwh or 10536 watt hours.

​​​​​I need to find a spec sheet for my fridge to give my daily kwh when accounting for the compressor kicking in and out.

Comment

• SunEagle
                Super Moderator
                • Oct 2012

Okay thank you. I found where it says 439 watts.

So it would be 10.5kwh or 10536 watt hours.

​​​​​I need to find a spec sheet for my fridge to give my daily kwh when accounting for the compressor kicking in and out.
                Or get a Kill a Watt meter which will measure the watt hour usage of the load over any period of time desired.

Comment

• Fullblast
                  • Jun 2021

The fridge is in my RV and I have no access to the plug, unless I tear up some panels and cabinets.

I found a pallet of 30 Solar World 280 watt mono panels that were manufactured in 2015 for a great price.Are these a decent brand for solar panels?

On the panels, the open circuit voltage of 39.5, short circuit current 9.71,max power point current 9.07

This is an 8400 watt system, I may add a few more to get 10kw and pair it with a 1000ah forklift battery.

What would be the max number of panels I could put on a 1000ah forklift battery without frying it?

Im still trying to figure out how many panels i can put on a 600v 80 amp mppt controller. If these panels are 9.71 amps each , can only put 8 on each controller. 8 would be 77.68 amps correct?

Others here said I can use 3 80 amp controllers for a 10kw system, but I don't understand completely.

I appreciate the help.
                  Last edited by Fullblast; 08-06-2021, 02:48 AM.

Comment

• QuentinMedina
                    • Sep 2023

One approach to achieve a higher capacity at 48V is to use 24V power banks in parallel and then wire them in series to reach 48V. This way, you can double the amp-hour capacity while maintaining the desired voltage.Regarding your solar panel choice, the Trina 410s seem like a solid option for your setup. They should provide enough power to keep your rig running smoothly.

Mod edit. Removed commercial hotlink.
                    Last edited by azdave; 04-17-2024, 07:38 PM.

Comment

• PNPmacnab
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Nov 2016

I just heard bitcoin payout just halved. Hopefully there will now be less mining posts.

Comment

Working...