Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The_realTW
    Solar Fanatic
    • Feb 2021

oh btw everyone, based on my current knowledge I do believe the two panels are in series and the batteries are in Parallel , the reason I suspect this is because the + of one battery is connected to the - of the other. then they go to the inverter. Obviously swapping this out would allow me more AH but also have to run more cables, something to think about as I now am getting 12 volt 400AH, but the othe way would give me 800AH correct?

Comment

• Ampster
      Solar Fanatic
      • Jun 2017

Originally posted by The_realTW
      oh btw everyone, based on my current knowledge I do believe the two panels are in series and the batteries are in Parallel , the reason I suspect this is because the + of one battery is connected to the - of the other. then they go to the inverter. Obviously swapping this out would allow me more AH but also have to run more cables, something to think about as I now am getting 12 volt 400AH, but the othe way would give me 800AH correct?
      Two 12v batteries in parallel would give you twice the Amphours at 12 volts. Two in series would be half the Amps at 24 volts. The Watthours would be the same.
      Parallel is positive to positive and same for negatives. Series is one positive to negative which is why voltage adds.
      9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

• The_realTW
        Solar Fanatic
        • Feb 2021

Originally posted by Ampster
        Two 12v batteries in parallel would give you twice the Amphours at 12 volts. Two in series would be half the Amps at 24 volts. The Watthours would be the same.
        Parallel is positive to positive and same for negatives. Series is one positive to negative which is why voltage adds.
        right all that ! . what he said! Why is it I still get those two confused!

Comment

• The_realTW
          Solar Fanatic
          • Feb 2021

Originally posted by Ampster
          right all that ! . what he said! Why is it I still get those two confused!

Oh keep in mind the system is running TWO 6 volts, not 12, so combining them as we are now would make the 12 volts @ 400AH, I think....

But if the voltage is split otherwise it would be 6 volts @ 800AH, yeah that may not work!

Comment

• The_realTW
            Solar Fanatic
            • Feb 2021

Also hey Mods! Is there a reason why I am always "unapproved" doesnt that make more work for you?

Comment

• sdold
              • Jun 2014

Originally posted by The_realTW
              Also hey Mods! Is there a reason why I am always "unapproved" doesnt that make more work for you?
              FWIW it's not just you, there is one other long time member that this seems to happen to. It's something about the forum that hasn't quite been figured out yet. We'll try to approve your posts ASAP until it's sorted out. Maybe having two members with the problem will lead to figuring out what the problem is.

Comment

• The_realTW
                Solar Fanatic
                • Feb 2021

Originally posted by sdold
                FWIW it's not just you, there is one other long time member that this seems to happen to. It's something about the forum that hasn't quite been figured out yet. We'll try to approve your posts ASAP until it's sorted out. Maybe having two members with the problem will lead to figuring out what the problem is.
                I hope so, I really love it here, and hate when that happens. I am in Mexico which according to like "Every website" i visit lately is the "spammer kingdom" (which we all know is in Nigeria lol), so Maybe thats it.

I appreciate the looking out though

Comment

• azdave
                  • Oct 2014

Originally posted by sdold

FWIW it's not just you, there is one other long time member that this seems to happen to.
                  FYI...In my situation, posts from my home PC always go straight to the forum but every post from my PC at work are always held for mod approval. Don't know if that clue is helpful of not. Sorry to divert the thread but with no PM's allowed here there is no other way to communicate.

Dave W. Gilbert AZ
                  6.63kW grid-tie owner

Comment

• SunEagle
                    Super Moderator
                    • Oct 2012

Originally posted by azdave

FYI...In my situation, posts from my home PC always go straight to the forum but every post from my PC at work are always held for mod approval. Don't know if that clue is helpful of not. Sorry to divert the thread but with no PM's allowed here there is no other way to communicate.
                    And i have asked our IT department to find out why your posts go to Moderation. I am usually on the forum and try to get them approved when I see them but sometimes I am not fast enough so they stay in limbo for a while.

Comment

• The_realTW
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Feb 2021

Originally posted by SunEagle

And i have asked our IT department to find out why your posts go to Moderation. I am usually on the forum and try to get them approved when I see them but sometimes I am not fast enough so they stay in limbo for a while.
                      Honestly nothing I am saying here is life critical, were very much in the planning stages

I do appreciate it, I suspect it could be the "frequency" of the posts picking up some silly archaic automated spam thing, also I am in Mexico so everytime I try to edit a post it gets "held" again I was in IT for 20 years, and I always found forums to be very restrictive, especially if people didnt customize them instead of leave them in their default configurations

Comment

• The_realTW
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Feb 2021

Originally posted by azdave

Its all good Dave.

Bet you love solar in Gilbert huh, I once filmed a movie there, we did a scene at some feed store grrrr couldnt tell you the name, except it was a local place, real nice people. We shut the entire place down for two days.

I digress

Comment

• The_realTW
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Feb 2021

Happy hump day everyone, Although silly I know, we all can learn from this!

coldnogood.jpg

Comment

• The_realTW
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Feb 2021

BOOK IS CURRENTLY ON LOAN 02\28

Hey Guys, I just found out I can "loan" the solar book I bought for free. I guess it works through Amazon but you dont need to have an account. I think that is awesome as someone here might really be able to benefit from the information. Oh also I cannot use the book while it is on loan, so now would be the perfect time for someone to do this, as I do not need it until I get back to Nebraska.

I really hope this can help someone out!

41hqysC+IeL.jpg
                            Last edited by The_realTW; 02-28-2021, 07:39 PM.

Comment

• The_realTW
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Feb 2021

Hey solar peeps, just wanted to give you all an update: Not much going on with the solar right now, but other parts of the home are being recreated. I do not know if we are allowed to promote our social media here, but eventually I will give the link when I start redoing the solar.

Here is a couple workups of whats been going on with the TW, stay safe everyone. Only 13 more days until the USA, then about another week after that until I am digging it out of the snow in Frozen Nebraska!

Attached Files

Comment

• The_realTW
                                Solar Fanatic
                                • Feb 2021

Hello everyone, I wanted to update you all on the fact I have returned to the states. I also wanted to tel you that some weird things have taken place.

first, while in Mexico I completed 3 books and a “mini course” on solar, and feel quite confident that I was never given a chance with the current system, and I am ready to rebuild the “right way” once I get the tiny home back to Utah.

also coincidentally now that I’m back the guy that did my solar the first time has started calling me asking me to pay the remainder of the money I owe him for his work. Honestly not sure how I will handle that.

Back to the solar, here is a few photos of the setup. I’ll give you more later when I can get on the roof of my SUV and photograph under the panels where the labels are. I can see the labels I just can’t read them.

also regarding the current setup I returned to Nebraska to find the solar 100% charged! My suspicion is that even though these batteries were stone cold dead when I put this thing down in January, they had absolutely no draw for 50 days or so , but the solar was engaged, it probably had all the time to soak up the sun and fully recharge. The good news is that means the batteries are actually still alive, and if fully charged through the winter, they would not have low acid content which means they would not freeze.

I’m on the second night of solar use and the meter went down to 57% this morning when I got up to go to the bathroom, but after the sun came back up we went right back to 100%.

my thinking is these batteries would work with more panel applied so they can be charged properly, but I won’t know that until i can do a proper energy audit and get some KW totals.

more soon and thanks everyone!

ok apparently I cannot upload photos from the mobile side, I’ll have to get my laptop out and send them later! It’s probably a size restriction on the forum!
                                Last edited by The_realTW; 04-02-2021, 09:36 PM.

Comment

Working...