X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The_realTW
    Solar Fanatic
    • Feb 2021

Originally posted by SunEagle

I believe while the book does not apply to your application it should provide some basic information about solar and power generation regardless of the installation.

Also remember that conservation will still have a better payback then adding panels and batteries.
    Agreed, I’m just griping, I don’t have an attic or bathtub lol, I’ll muddle on through!

Comment

• J.P.M.
      Solar Fanatic
      • Aug 2013

Originally posted by The_realTW

Hey there, the reason I asked is because while its a great source of information, none of it is relevant to myself. My "setup" is a cargo trailer converted into a tiny home, i dont have a fireplace, or washer/dryer lol. I am reading the whole thing regardless.
      My apologies for my laziness for not breading the entire thread.

Comment

• The_realTW
        Solar Fanatic
        • Feb 2021

Originally posted by J.P.M.

My apologies for my laziness for not breading the entire thread.
        does that mean I dont have to read it all

EDIT: I am 70+ pages into the book, and so far I have learned how to fix my HVAC (Which I dont have) heat my swimming pool (which I dont have) and how to read an energystar label, which I learned years ago, also I cannot forget the numerous mentions of looking in the phone book for professionals for audits (What a phone book LOL)

Comment

• J.P.M.
          Solar Fanatic
          • Aug 2013

does that mean I dont have to read it all

EDIT: I am 70+ pages into the book, and so far I have learned how to fix my HVAC (Which I dont have) heat my swimming pool (which I dont have) and how to read an energystar label, which I learned years ago, also I cannot forget the numerous mentions of looking in the phone book for professionals for audits (What a phone book LOL)
          Further apologies for the "breading" typo.

As for what you read and its worth to you, and as I often write at the end of my posts, take what you want of it. Scrap the rest. All my stuff is no more than opinion and a serving suggestion anyway.

Maybe some parts of the remainder of the book will give you some new knowledge and information about the solar energy resource and solar design that you will find useful for the future and perhaps help you avoid getting screwed in the same fashion that seems to have brought you here in the first place.

I wish you all the best in your future endeavors.
          Last edited by J.P.M.; 02-14-2021, 01:33 AM.

Comment

• The_realTW
            Solar Fanatic
            • Feb 2021

Originally posted by J.P.M.

Further apologies for the "breading" typo.

As for what you read and its worth to you, and as I often write at the end of my posts, take what you want of it. Scrap the rest. All my stuff is no more than opinion and a serving suggestion anyway.

Maybe some parts of the remainder of the book will give you some new knowledge and information about the solar energy resource and solar design that you will find useful for the future and perhaps help you avoid getting screwed in the same fashion that seems to have brought you here in the first place.

I wish you all the best in your future endeavors.
            Hey there, isn’t at the end of the day everyone’s advice just a suggestion, I mean even experts are wrong sometimes. I’ll read another 70 pages today. My thought I’d eventually I’ll reach a part in the book where my specific area starts to be explained. At least worse comes to worse I’ll have a good idea of the general solar industry (well at least how it was in 2014 lol)

also I’m sure there are more detailed books to cover that cover “tiny home” mobile setups, but I’ll give this one it’s full read before pursuing others.

Comment

• Ampster
              Solar Fanatic
              • Jun 2017

Hey there, isn’t at the end of the day everyone’s advice just a suggestion,......
              With that approach you may have good luck searching the Internet for some advice from someone with a similar use case. There are RV and tiny home user groups that may offer more specific advice. I prefer videos because of my learning style. It takes a great deal of discipline however to separate the good advice from the bad advice on Youtube.
              9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

• The_realTW
                Solar Fanatic
                • Feb 2021

Originally posted by Ampster
                With that approach you may have good luck searching the Internet for some advice from someone with a similar use case. There are RV and tiny home user groups that may offer more specific advice. I prefer videos because of my learning style. It takes a great deal of discipline however to separate the good advice from the bad advice on Youtube.
                Strangely enough I’ve never trusted YouTube for this sort of thing. The majority of people out there are “experts in their own mind” , same with Reddit which honestly couldn’t wire a gumball machine correctly.

that is why i trust the stuff on this forum, real people willing to talk real world issues, not out for clicks or subscribers. The authenticity itself is refreshing.

Comment

• Mike90250
                  • May 2009

The better you can define your usage and loads, the better the planning and results. expect to run 3 scenarios before you nail it down and start buying things
                  Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                  || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                  || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                  gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• SunEagle
                    Super Moderator
                    • Oct 2012

Strangely enough I’ve never trusted YouTube for this sort of thing. The majority of people out there are “experts in their own mind” , same with Reddit which honestly couldn’t wire a gumball machine correctly.

that is why i trust the stuff on this forum, real people willing to talk real world issues, not out for clicks or subscribers. The authenticity itself is refreshing.
                    I have to agree with you that YouTube videos can be misleading and provide totally wrong information to those people that believe everything they see on the internet. While some videos (very few) can be helpful most others are just a way for people to get their 15 minutes of fame or just want to trick people into believing something that is not true.

Comment

• The_realTW
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Feb 2021

Originally posted by Mike90250
                      The better you can define your usage and loads, the better the planning and results. expect to run 3 scenarios before you nail it down and start buying things
                      I’ll do it a thousand times if it will work like I was promised from the beginning. I mean the first “shakedown” trip when I was out on that peninsula, miles from nowhere watching tv and listening to the ocean. I was completely self sufficient, and then everything went from bad to worse until the lights wouldn’t stay on for five minutes.

Yeah I’ll put the work in , you guys are nice enough to guide me, I’ll put the work in and get it done right.

Comment

• The_realTW
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Feb 2021

FYI: I just want to make clear that the wiring used on the INSIDE of this build was all to code (Well as good as it could be considering there is no codes for this sort of thing) and all the outlets and lights and fuses were placed properly. I am hoping the offending problems lie in the batteries/inverter/panel setup and that the controller and everything backwards can be saved. Otherwise a complete gutting of the interior would be very costly indeed. I am going to dig back into the book right now!

Thanks everyone

Comment

• The_realTW
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Feb 2021

Too late lol A4A1DB23-37DA-48AE-9891-9E205809F46D.jpeg

Comment

• Ampster
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Jun 2017

Strangely enough I’ve never trusted YouTube for this sort of thing. ..........
                            I agree, I view most of them with distrust. It does take a lot of viewing and discipline to separate the valuable knowledge from the chaff. You also have a head start on many people who might find value in that book for dummies. Glad your system is working.

9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

• J.P.M.
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Aug 2013

YouTube is the new idiot's bible (the old one iss The Readers' Digest). Because YouTube is effectively unvetted for technical stuff, it's undisciplined and therefore unreliable.

This place is probably a bit better than that but still mostly anonymous which can cause some folks to be a bit more casual with the facts and overstate their experiences and credentials as a consequence.

Caveat Lector. Or, looked at another way and somewhat cynically - but probably more safely - know that you'll probably get what you pay for (or less).
                              Last edited by J.P.M.; 02-14-2021, 05:19 PM.

Comment

• The_realTW
                                Solar Fanatic
                                • Feb 2021

I just read another 70 pages or so, and I am learning a bit more! As for the comments about Youtube and this forum, I would trust someone here far more then YouTube, although to be fair they could be in both places. I have always found people who do not have to say "smash that button" with a perfect haircut and fluorescent white smile after "installing all day" less trustworthy.

People here speak proper grammar, and for the most part you get the sense they know at least partially what they are talking about, and my education and skills as well as my drive to learn from the mistakes, that will hopefully take me the rest of the way.

BTW: none of that was a slight against any of you, I am sure were going to do fine. Next up some ugly drawings/sketches of my future ideas. Hang tight!

Comment

Working...