Built A tiny home, but it has solar issues

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mike90250
    • May 2009

I've recently had to give up a planned install on an RV. The owner can't even unlatch the hood of his truck, he was yanking on the prop stick trying to get the hood to release.
    There is no way I could train him to to plug the red plug into the red jack for his remote panels.

What I'm saying is you have to have some background and common language. Start with the book "Solar Power For Dummies" seriously. It covers the basics, gives a start to the terminology, and leaves you in a position to ask questions we can answer and not have to have a tutorial for each step
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• sdold
      • Jun 2014

The_realTW, thanks for hanging in there and and I second Mike's suggestion to read the "Dummies" book, I find them the best way to really absorb a topic fast. "Calculus for Dummies" was the only way I finally "got" it. Between the book and this forum you'll be up to speed in no time.

Comment

• The_realTW
        Solar Fanatic
        • Feb 2021

Thanks Again Guys, Ill buy the book today, hopefully I can get an Ebook, since I am in Mexico!

EDIT:

Umm Guys!, Which One?

Comment

• Mike90250
          • May 2009

Solar Power Your Home For Dummies

Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
          || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
          || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
          gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• J.P.M.
            Solar Fanatic
            • Aug 2013

Originally posted by The_realTW
            Thanks Again Guys, Ill buy the book today, hopefully I can get an Ebook, since I am in Mexico!

EDIT:

Umm Guys!, Which One?

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=solar+pow...f=nb_sb_noss_2
            Snoop around on the net and you can find a free but slightly dated PDF download.

Comment

• MichaelK!
              Solar Fanatic
              • Jul 2015

I already told you I have no knowledge of this stuff. When I built the TINY I learned a lot, but paid someone else to do the solar. I am fully capable and eager to learn all there is to know to make this right.
              Don't get discouraged! We all have to start somewhere. I first learned about DC working on my car. Since you already have experience working with DC, and have 5 multi-meters, you are already ahead of some. We here are happy to help. What I would suggest though is don't make impulse purchases of random equipment that appears to be a good deal. Flesh out your ideas to the group here and get a critique of your design. And always remember that in series volts add, but amps stays the same. In parallel, amps add, but voltage stays the same.

Comment

• The_realTW
                Solar Fanatic
                • Feb 2021

Originally posted by MichaelK!

Don't get discouraged! We all have to start somewhere. I first learned about DC working on my car. Since you already have experience working with DC, and have 5 multi-meters, you are already ahead of some. We here are happy to help. What I would suggest though is don't make impulse purchases of random equipment that appears to be a good deal. Flesh out your ideas to the group here and get a critique of your design. And always remember that in series volts add, but amps stays the same. In parallel, amps add, but voltage stays the same.
                Not discouraged at all, in fact I am ENCOURAGED. I will learn more and lay out my system before moving forward. I will also accept help and critique from this forum, as it sounds like the members are ready to do so!

Comment

• The_realTW
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Feb 2021

Originally posted by J.P.M.

Snoop around on the net and you can find a free but slightly dated PDF download.
                  Would the outdated one be any good, how much as solar changed since (The one i found was from 2014) same book different cover, also I am not against buying the latest version, again it doesnt matter to me which one, Im curious which one I would benefit more from,

Comment

• J.P.M.
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Aug 2013

Would the outdated one be any good, how much as solar changed since (The one i found was from 2014) same book different cover, also I am not against buying the latest version, again it doesnt matter to me which one, Im curious which one I would benefit more from,
                    If you need the basics, which appears to be the case, since PV panels, inverters and wiring, the basics of electricity, energy conservation techniques and the basics of the solar resource haven't changed much or not at all between the time of the original publication and the revision, those things are pretty much the same.

Since the free PDF is available for the price of a few keystrokes and mouse clicks, I'd download and read it. Then, I'd order/buy the revised copy and read it as well, noting the changes.

Comment

• The_realTW
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Feb 2021

If you need the basics, which appears to be the case, since PV panels, inverters and wiring, the basics of electricity, energy conservation techniques and the basics of the solar resource haven't changed much or not at all between the time of the original publication and the revision, those things are pretty much the same.

Since the free PDF is available for the price of a few keystrokes and mouse clicks, I'd download and read it. Then, I'd order/buy the revised copy and read it as well, noting the changes.
                      I like it, thanks. Yeah I think the basics of electricity havent changed much since the edison/Tesla years. I will start boning up tonight! Im sure it will be fascinating reading!

Comment

• J.P.M.
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Aug 2013

I like it, thanks. Yeah I think the basics of electricity havent changed much since the edison/Tesla years. I will start boning up tonight! Im sure it will be fascinating reading!
                        You're welcome. The read will most likely put some real meat on your questions. That will enable subsequent answers to those questions to cover more ground to fill in knowledge gaps your questions help you to see.

Good luck and happy discovery.

Comment

• The_realTW
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Feb 2021

Love you guys and all your help, but I'm on page 40 and its talking about my energy bills (which I do not have) and where my trees should be in my yard. Is there a certain section I should be reading. Its interesting information to be sure, but so far I saw one graph of household usage VS solar availability that looked remotely interesting. Im certain there is a specific area I can drill down, or do I read the entire book?

Thanks, and happy Saturday

Comment

• J.P.M.
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Aug 2013

Love you guys and all your help, but I'm on page 40 and its talking about my energy bills (which I do not have) and where my trees should be in my yard. Is there a certain section I should be reading. Its interesting information to be sure, but so far I saw one graph of household usage VS solar availability that looked remotely interesting. Im certain there is a specific area I can drill down, or do I read the entire book?

Thanks, and happy Saturday
                            I'd do the whole thing, but only you can say what needs to be read first. If it was me, I'd start at the beginning and spend a lot of time on the first 3 chapters dealing with use reduction and energy conservation. If lowering your electric bill is one of the goals of the exercise, you're combined project cost will be lower and you'll save more energy and $$'s by reducing the load the PV has to replace before getting what will be a smaller and less costly PV system.

Just don't size the PV on the old (higher), preconservation electrical usage and billing. Doing so - if you're like most homeowners - will most likely result in what's probably already going to be an oversized PV system.

Comment

• The_realTW
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Feb 2021

I'd do the whole thing, but only you can say what needs to be read first. If it was me, I'd start at the beginning and spend a lot of time on the first 3 chapters dealing with use reduction and energy conservation. If lowering your electric bill is one of the goals of the exercise, you're combined project cost will be lower and you'll save more energy and $$'s by reducing the load the PV has to replace before getting what will be a smaller and less costly PV system.

Just don't size the PV on the old (higher), preconservation electrical usage and billing. Doing so - if you're like most homeowners - will most likely result in what's probably already going to be an oversized PV system.
                              Hey there, the reason I asked is because while its a great source of information, none of it is relevant to myself. My "setup" is a cargo trailer converted into a tiny home, i dont have a fireplace, or washer/dryer lol. I am reading the whole thing regardless.

Comment

• SunEagle
                                Super Moderator
                                • Oct 2012

Hey there, the reason I asked is because while its a great source of information, none of it is relevant to myself. My "setup" is a cargo trailer converted into a tiny home, i dont have a fireplace, or washer/dryer lol. I am reading the whole thing regardless.
                                I believe while the book does not apply to your application it should provide some basic information about solar and power generation regardless of the installation.

Also remember that conservation will still have a better payback then adding panels and batteries.

Comment

Working...