Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bradmck
    replied
    Thanks Mike - I didn't realize that and appreciate you jumping in (almost instantly at that). I was going to go through my settings again.

Leave a comment:

• Mike90250
    replied
    just an FYI, PM's are disabled on this forum

Leave a comment:

• bradmck
    replied
    Huh - actually I can't either. I've never tried on this forum. Add @gmail.com to my username and you can reach me. Or of course my work email is still an option. Good to bump into you! I hope all is well with you and yours.

Leave a comment:

• pbennison
    replied
    I am almost positive we know each other. For some reason I cannot PM. Can you try to PM me?

Leave a comment:

• bradmck
    replied
    You sound like someone I know - look at my username and feel free to PM me. I'd be very curious how this worked out for you as I have a similar situation. I've asked this forum a couple of times for advice and they were awesome - but I never executed. I've revived my interest and am looking to start with at least battery charged by the genny for our weekend cabin.

Leave a comment:

• pbennison
    replied

Well, it is getting warmer up here in NY and I plan to start purchasing some equipment. Below is my first stab at a list of equipment I am going to purchase, (thank you MichaelK!). I will build the prototype at my house for proof of concept then disassemble and bring to cabin.

- (6) 250W grid-tie panels - Santan Solar
    - (8) 6V batteries - I have a friend in the battery business
    - Epever 50A MPPT controller 12/24/36/48V - Amazon
    - Schneider 4048 48V Sine Wave 120/240VAC split-phase inverter - Amazon
    - Transfer Switch, Lugs, heat shrink, cables, etc.

My next step is to figure out the last item on the list, (Transfer Switch, Lugs, heat shrink, cables, etc.). Is there a site/can someone help me decide all the miscellaneous items that will be required.

Leave a comment:

• chrisski
    replied
    I did build my own cables to lock the portable panels, and I’m glad I did. Most nights I’ve used the RV the wind has picked up and the cables have kept the panels from blowing away. So, for securing the potable panels the cable has been awesome. Of course, the panels have flipped over, so now I put them inside at night. I have stayed at the edge II a mountain near a flat area these times. The wind is calm, but when the sun sets it picks up. There’s not a weather station nearby, and the weaather reports I can read don’t get predict this wind.

I have four 100 watt panels and these have outperformed the 600 watt panels on my roof. I usually get about 30% more power off the portable panels.

The roof panels are tiltable, but because the winds have been as much as 25 gusting to 35, I do not tilt the panels. Also, the flat panels on the roof are set to be set up parking so they face south. Sometimes the spot or few won’t let us do that, so obstructions like the vent pipes and AC cause shading.

I face The portable panels towards the sun two or three times a day. Because true portable panels are tilted and faced at the sun, I also get useful sunshine two hours earlier in the day.

One other thing about the portable panels is they are not maintenance free like the roof panels. I’ve done some repairs from wind damage. Not to the glass and cells, but I’ve had to rivet a hinge back in and make some repairs to my Anderson power poles I used as connectors.

If I’ve used 165 AH out of my 220 ah useable in my 440 AH bank and its a sunny day, by 1 pm the panels are charged. When it’s been cloudy, we’ve used around 110 ah, and the panels have still managed to charge the batteries with help from the generator for an hour or two that provides 15 AH. Sunny days, that’s mostly from the portable panels, and cloudy days, mostly from the flat panels, followed by the portable panels, followed by the generator.

Leave a comment:

• pbennison
    replied
    Originally posted by chrisski View Post
    For the solar getting stolen, not sure how valid a concern that is. I was worried about my portable panels, but they’ve been fine. For a cabin build, a lot of that stuff is bolted down. If you worry about that stuff disappearing, you may need to just forget the idea of living out there. Could be a valid concern if police reports make that likely. My father in law got decades of enjoyment out of his cabin. There was one incident of teenagers breaking in to have a party during the week when it was not occupied. That didn't ruin all the fun had out there.

Plz keep in mind there’s a bit left out of this like wiring, mounting, and battery holders. My RV build was 10% to 20% of the cost building a collection of tools. My guess is if you’re not tooled up and have a lot of extra hardware for mounting lying around, could cost close to the estimate.
    I also have an RV and thinking of building a smaller portable version, 24V, two 12V batteries and a couple 250W panels. Is that something along the lines you did for the RV? Any advice and/or suggestions, plans, pics, etc. for the RV build would be much appreciated.

Leave a comment:

• pbennison
    replied
    Originally posted by chrisski View Post
    For the solar getting stolen, not sure how valid a concern that is. I was worried about my portable panels, but they’ve been fine. For a cabin build, a lot of that stuff is bolted down. If you worry about that stuff disappearing, you may need to just forget the idea of living out there. Could be a valid concern if police reports make that likely. My father in law got decades of enjoyment out of his cabin. There was one incident of teenagers breaking in to have a party during the week when it was not occupied. That didn't ruin all the fun had out there.

Plz keep in mind there’s a bit left out of this like wiring, mounting, and battery holders. My RV build was 10% to 20% of the cost building a collection of tools. My guess is if you’re not tooled up and have a lot of extra hardware for mounting lying around, could cost close to the estimate.
    Agree.....Funny, I actually thought to my self after totaling up, that this will be more than just the "big" stuff. I have some stuff around and figure I have 20-25 % additional costs.....As for stuff disappearing, well, that sucks...........hopefully, that doesn't happen...

Thanks everyone.....these forums are really awesome...getting experience from people that have actually done this is worth sooooo much.....

Leave a comment:

• chrisski
    replied

Originally posted by MichaelK! View Post

Very doable. You can get eight 6V batteries at Costco right now for 99$ each. Throw in tax, and core charges, and you might be ~1100$ out the door.

To keep that charged...210Ah X 0.125C charging rate X 52V charging X 1.25lossfactor = 1706W. If you get six 250W grid-tie panels like I did that would be 55$ X 6 = 330$

Epever makes a 50A controller that can do 12/24/36/48V for 210$ plus tax.

A really nice 48V Sine Wave 120/240VAC split-phase inverter is the Schneider 4048. 1540$

This would be a system that produces at least 5kWh of power in winter on the sunny days. On batteries, with no more than 50% depletion, you'd have the same.

Leave a comment:

• pbennison
    replied
    Originally posted by MichaelK! View Post

Very doable. You can get eight 6V batteries at Costco right now for 99$ each. Throw in tax, and core charges, and you might be ~1100$ out the door.

To keep that charged...210Ah X 0.125C charging rate X 52V charging X 1.25lossfactor = 1706W. If you get six 250W grid-tie panels like I did that would be 55$ X 6 = 330$

A really nice 48V Sine Wave 120/240VAC split-phase inverter is the Schneider 4048. 1540$

This would be a system that produces at least 5kWh of power in winter on the sunny days. On batteries, with no more than 50% depletion, you'd have the same.
    Thank you. I appreciate the advice and guidance. This will make our cabin much more comfortable to spend and enjoy our time there.

Leave a comment:

• MichaelK!
    replied
    Originally posted by pbennison View Post

Hmmmm. I have two portable generators, a 3500W generator (very loud) and a 2000W generator (very quiet). My concern about this was the time it takes to charge batteries, but I guess if I have enough and don't deplete too much I could keep them charged. Maybe something along the lines of a 48V golf cart battery system?

Leave a comment:

• pbennison
    replied
    Originally posted by foo1bar View Post
    I don't know if I'd do solar - I probably would just do generator + batteries (so the generator isn't running all the time and/or can get by with a smaller generator.)
    I would be concerned about the solar getting stolen since there's no one around for significant parts of the year..

BTW - you said electric would be 3x the cost of the cabin.
    Are there other properties that would benefit and would be interested in getting electricity service as well? (And willing to pay for it?)

How much does the property increase in value if it has electrical service?
    Hmmmm. I have two portable generators, a 3500W generator (very loud) and a 2000W generator (very quiet). My concern about this was the time it takes to charge batteries, but I guess if I have enough and don't deplete too much I could keep them charged. Maybe something along the lines of a 48V golf cart battery system?

The cabin was listed for sale with one benefit being, "no neighbors". I have seen some land nearby that is being advertised with more than one lot. I guess sometime in the future tht is a possibility, but for right now I am on my own.

It would definitely increase. However, the first estimate I got from National Grid was 3500 feet @45 per foot ($157,000). The cabin cost $55,000.

Leave a comment:

• foo1bar
    replied
    I don't know if I'd do solar - I probably would just do generator + batteries (so the generator isn't running all the time and/or can get by with a smaller generator.)
    I would be concerned about the solar getting stolen since there's no one around for significant parts of the year..

BTW - you said electric would be 3x the cost of the cabin.
    Are there other properties that would benefit and would be interested in getting electricity service as well? (And willing to pay for it?)

How much does the property increase in value if it has electrical service?

Leave a comment:

• foo1bar
    replied
    Originally posted by pbennison View Post

Ok, this may sound foolish, but here goes. How do I get a 6V battery (Trojan L-16) to produce 48V? Do I get 8 of these?
    Yes. 8 of 6V in series will give you 48V.

You can also buy 2V batteries - and 48V would be 24 of those.
    if you need more amp-hours, you'll wind up getting 4V or 2V batteries. More amp-hours == larger plates. Larger plates == heavier/bigger. But since a 6V battery is 3 of 2V cells, they can be separated out. And it's a lot easier to move three of 200lb 1600Ah 2V battery than if it were a 600lb 1600Ah 6V battery

Leave a comment:

Working...
X