Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jayson
    • Mar 2020

solar system catastrophe and rebuild

Thanks for having me here. I really can use some expert guidance to get my system running optimally again, if possible. The short version, sparing the gory details of my Coronapocalypse escape from Denver is that after 2k miles of driving in all conditions, 2 of my panels ripped off my roof during 80 mph gusts driving over a steep pass in the first 200 miles.
  • Jayson
    • Mar 2020

Not sure why it only posted the first paragraph here...lost all of the rest of the post and details. Ugh

Comment

• SunEagle
      Super Moderator
      • Oct 2012

Hello Jayson and welcome to Solar Panel Talk

Sometimes the forum software will cut off a post depending on either the font being used or if "cut and paste" is used. The only solution would be to type out the entire post.

Comment

• Jayson
        • Mar 2020

Okay, I didn't cut and paste or change any fonts. I will retype everything in a notepad and copy it here. Does it just delete it or is it still salvageable on your server? I sent a mail to the no-reply email. Thanks for responding quickly.

Comment

• SunEagle
          Super Moderator
          • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Jayson
          Okay, I didn't cut and paste or change any fonts. I will retype everything in a notepad and copy it here. Does it just delete it or is it still salvageable on your server? I sent a mail to the no-reply email. Thanks for responding quickly.
          I believe the software just cuts off the post. I don't know if it goes into a "bin" or it is just gone but I have no access to the Server.

I also should tell you that due to the spammers using the email account that has been turned off. The best way to get the Admin's attention is just to make a post in the General section.

Just another point. The spam software is very critical of first time posters and may put the entire post into the "unapproved" folder waiting on one of the Mods to review it first. So I would not include any web sites in your post.
          Last edited by SunEagle; 04-03-2020, 12:09 PM.

Comment

• Jayson
            • Mar 2020

Thank you SunEagle. I'm waiting for high noon sun to get some current readings. Maybe I'll get lucky and a mod might find it before retyping all of my system details and what I've been through, again. If I don't see something in a few hours, I'll do it.

Comment

• SunEagle
              Super Moderator
              • Oct 2012

Thank you SunEagle. I'm waiting for high noon sun to get some current readings. Maybe I'll get lucky and a mod might find it before retyping all of my system details and what I've been through, again. If I don't see something in a few hours, I'll do it.
              Ok. I hope your system is salvageable. What happened to you is common for RV solar installations that are not properly anchored.

Comment

• Ampster
                Solar Fanatic
                • Jun 2017

bed-mattresses-on-top-of-minivan-usa-EH98AD.jpg You are not alone
                9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

• Jayson
                  • Mar 2020

Thanks for the vote of confidence ampster!

Okay...to briefly recap my extremely detailed post this morning that got eaten by the system here....

Mounted and drove the panels for months, in all conditions. No problems checking regularly. Metal strapped to roof anchors, the panels themselves ripped from the bolted grommet holes. Yes i feel stupid, no I am not...been researching and planning this for nearly 2 years...just lacking real-world experience and usage of the system.

Posting in chunks so I don't lose all this again.

Comment

• Jayson
                    • Mar 2020

This happened a week ago. I've been at a campsite repairing and testing. What I started with:

6 flex panels, 160w each, 22.8 voc, 8.6 amps per panel.

Wired 3 groups of 2 in series parallel for a desired total of 41v and ~25amps.

Mpp all in one solar controller/charger/inverter (24v pip lvlv) handles 145v and 80 amps.

2 12v Battleborn 100ah wired in series.

Ñever saw more than 250w coming from 960w of panels.

Where I'm at now:

Scrapped the 2 questionable panels(run over by semis), even though they were pushing voltage.

Now I have 4 panels (640w) wired in series/parallel. Tested individually and as an array. Pulling 41v as desired but amps are very low. RightNow in full new Mexico high noon sun, mppt shows 41v, less than 100w. Minimal amps.

Comment

• Jayson
                      • Mar 2020

I don't have a DC current tester (multimeter) that can handle more than 10 amps safely. I have a bayite hall effect sensor on the incoming array ± which shows 1-2 amps at best.

Questions:

Can I wire one group of 2 in parallel to increase amperage?

What else could be the issue?

What should I do/test at this point?

I have a full complement of solar and electrical tools and parts.

Thanks for your attention and advice.

Comment

• Jayson
                        • Mar 2020

I am charging...slowly. Battleborns are incredible and have kept me going despite my abuse. Running minimal appliances til I can get a stable charging platform happening.

I have rechecked the mppt programming several times to insure my parameters are correct. Will the controller show actual wattage being produced or just what it is using? This is where the "real-world" experience is lacking. Hard to get real stats with 2/3rds of my starting array!

All input is greatly appreciated.

Comment

• Ampster
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Jun 2017

I am charging...slowly. Battleborns are incredible and have kept me going despite my abuse. Running minimal appliances til I can get a stable charging platform happening.
                          That is the beauty of Lithium batteries. You don't have to keep them fully charged every day.
                          9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

• Jayson
                            • Mar 2020

Only pulling 100watts max according to the pv input readout on the mpp controller. 1-3 amps, which matches the hall effect amp meter.

I'm only running fridge 45w, coffee pot 800w for 8 minutes/day, and various USB devices and chargers. My voltage ranges from 26.0 to 26.9.

I was excited to get wiring and testing new loads but afraid to run much more until I get the array producing more juice...

Any input about testing or working with the panels to get more incoming?

Is 41v, 16a enough to effectively charge these batteries during a full day of use?

Why is the amperage so low compared to the ~5 to 6 I was expecting?

Prior to installation I tested all the panels at 21v, 5.7a.

Comment

• Bala
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Dec 2010

If it were me,

I would test each panel individually for short circuit current, your amp meter will do that.

Once you determine if your panels are actually performing you can go from there.

For future see if you can get hold of a meter with DC clamp meter, they are available quite cheaply now.

Comment

Working...