Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Prius as backup generator with midnight classic as voltage converter possible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by travissand View Post

To rule that out I disconnected it from the grid completely with the same results.
    That's too bad. These guys used to sell the Converdant inverter for Prius HV battery but stopped a while back. However, it looks like they will start again so you may want to contact them to see what they can offer.

https://plugoutpower.com/

Comment

• Originally posted by Ampster View Post

My brother owns a rental house on Maui. He said with those rates it made sense to install a Powerwall in conjunction with his solar install.
      At $0.60/kWh I would expect most battery systems will pay for itself over time. Add to the fact that a lot of HI POCO's won't even allow you to feed any excess power back onto the grid. Batteries start to make sense.

Comment

• Originally posted by J.P.M. View Post

I live in the state known for the highest in the country. I also live in the city known for the highest in the state. My electric bill is cost per kilowatt-hour, no time of use complications happen in my city. It's just cost per kilowatt-hour plus the monthly fee or whatever I'm not quite sure how they calculate but it comes out to over $0.60 a kilowatt hour for me. My Hilo electric bill.jpg
        I appreciate the HI situation but it's a one off with pricing forces not applicable to the rest of the U.S.
        I was waiting for someone from HI to chime in.
        Everything costs more in HI.
        That's the price of living in paradise, but it's paradise, not the rest of the U.S., and an anomaly with respect to reasons why stuff, including electricity costs so much relative to mainland U.S. retail residential electricity prices. [/QUOTE]

True but it's still a kick-ass generator when compared to all the other options. I'll even go so far as to say it's better than $20,000 generators in some circumstances. And if you read back you'll see that with my low night time power usage and the Prius method there's ways for me to cut the cost per kilowatt-hour nearly in half of what I'm doing now. I understand it would still be more expensive than most utility companies but that's not the intent of this thread. I wasn't trying to match the utility company I was trying to beat the little quiet efficient Honda generators which I did quite successfully.

Comment

Working...
        X