High battery voltage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High battery voltage

Hi, i've just built a solar tracker as an experiment and have powered the two actuators with a 7ah sealed battery (NP7-12) the type you find as a backup in security alarms, i bought a small 20w solar panel that moves with the tracker to keep this battery charged. both panel and battery are new.
    We have bright sun here today and i've noticed the battery voltage is sitting at 17.30v. is this to high ? is it going to kill the battery? or is it with in a safe limit.

Thanks
    john

That is way high for a 12v battery. Do you use a charge controller, or is the panel wired directly to the battery ?

Your battery is a bit undersized for that size panel, 12v 10ah would be a better match to the panel and not be charging the battery so hard
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Originally posted by john.b View Post
      Hi, i've just built a solar tracker as an experiment and have powered the two actuators with a 7ah sealed battery (NP7-12) the type you find as a backup in security alarms, i bought a small 20w solar panel that moves with the tracker to keep this battery charged. both panel and battery are new.
      We have bright sun here today and i've noticed the battery voltage is sitting at 17.30v. is this to high ? is it going to kill the battery? or is it with in a safe limit.

Thanks
      john
      John. If you have connected the panel directly to the battery you will end up cooking it. That is why a Charge Control (even a cheap one) is something you need to control both the voltage and charging amps to a battery.

Comment

Hi Guys, thanks for getting back, the panel is connected direct to the battery without charge controller, the panel had two alligator clips for direct connection so i just assumed it would be regulated, that said i think it's for a car as it also come with a cigarette lighter type connection so maybe for a bigger battery, i have a PWM charge controller so will try that tomorrow.

Thanks again
        Take care
        john

Comment

Originally posted by john.b View Post
          Hi Guys, thanks for getting back, the panel is connected direct to the battery without charge controller, the panel had two alligator clips for direct connection so i just assumed it would be regulated, that said i think it's for a car as it also come with a cigarette lighter type connection so maybe for a bigger battery, i have a PWM charge controller so will try that tomorrow.

Thanks again
          Take care
          john
          Keep us informed on how you make out with the CC.

Comment

Originally posted by SunEagle View Post

Keep us informed on how you make out with the CC.
            Sorry you will have to forgive me i'm quite new to solar, CC ??

Comment

Ah penny just dropped Charge Controller,

Comment

The forum software clips many special characters .
                Try again with typing full names .

Comment

Hi, just a quick update on the battery voltage after using the PMA charge controller, over the last few days it's been quite overcast and the voltage has been sitting around 12.8v today was real sunny and the voltage hit 14.2v at best so i'd think that's now in the save zone.

Thank you all again for your help much appreciated

Take care
                  john

Comment

Working...
                  X