Generator/Inverter Wiring!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Generator/Inverter Wiring!

Im having issues getting my head round how i will wire my genny / inverter charger and combine them with consumer unit/distribution board....

This is my plan - please tell me if I'm wrong!!

START OF SYSTEM - Hyundai 6kw Generator with 32a output - 6mm cable running to a consumer unit with 4 outputs - An output to a 3kw Immersion heater, another to a 240v socket and lastly one to my AC in on Victron Inverter Charger.

From the AC out on the Victron Inverter Charger to another consumer unit with four outputs for the 24v/240v converted loads - END OF SYSTEM

I will have the solar part in-between but pretty much understand that bit.

I'm not sure I follow.

I take it this is an off grid solution? Can you detail your storage solution, voltage? I assume you'll be charging your storage with either generator or solar (and/or perhaps grid)?

Are you loads 120 or 240 or both? Do you have an auto transformer for phase balancing or does the Victron inverter charger also balance loads across phases?

Which Victron model are you looking at?

(www).victronenergy.com/inverters-chargers

Do you have a separate Solar inverter? Or are you looking at something like the Victron "Easy Solar" product? (not big enough for your application)

(www).victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Datasheet-EasySolar-1600VA-EN.pdf

Most folks here are probably more familiar with Midnight or Outback products.

Are you powering a pond / water feature? Or making hot water?

Comment

This document has some nice diagrams

(www).victronenergy.com/upload/documents/MultiPlus-II-to-MultiGrid-and-MultiPlus-comparison-EN.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by JSchnee21 View Post
        I'm not sure I follow.

I take it this is an off grid solution? Can you detail your storage solution, voltage? I assume you'll be charging your storage with either generator or solar (and/or perhaps grid)?

Are you loads 120 or 240 or both? Do you have an auto transformer for phase balancing or does the Victron inverter charger also balance loads across phases?

Which Victron model are you looking at?

(www).victronenergy.com/inverters-chargers

Do you have a separate Solar inverter? Or are you looking at something like the Victron "Easy Solar" product? (not big enough for your application)

(www).victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Datasheet-EasySolar-1600VA-EN.pdf

Most folks here are probably more familiar with Midnight or Outback products.

Are you powering a pond / water feature? Or making hot water?

Off grid house. Storage is 4 x Rolls S-550 @ 24v. Charging with Victron Inverter/Charger as stated via generator.

240v.

Why would i need a separate solar inverter - i have an inverter charger.

I have an Outback CC which charges the batteries from solar.

Im not sure you actually read my post really as the info is all there....

The solar part of this is not really that relevant...?

Comment

You're right, I don't understand your question. Are you asking about your proposed wiring diagram?

First, make a list of all of your loads. Then identify which loads will be generator only and which loads will be battery backup. Be sure to capture the voltage, current, and VA of each load, as well as the frequency and duration of use.

Assuming your generator is remote and supports either 120V or 120V/240V operation. First identify whether your generator loads are all 240V, all 120V or a mixture of the two. Assuming the immersion heater is 240V, it sounds like all are 240V.

In which case: run 4 wires from the generator (H+H+N+G) to a small breaker panel. Have a main breaker, and separate breakers for each of your generator only loads (immersion heater, outlet, Victron AC Input).

Presumably the Victron has 3 separate connections -- AC IN, AC OUT, and DC IN/OUT. Depending on the model of the Victron, some are able to support more output current than input current by meshing in power from the batteries.

Assuming your charge controller is DC only, it's DC out would be connected to your battery buss bars along with the Victron DC IN/OUT.

Then from the AC out of your Victron, run four wires to a small breaker panel with breakers for your battery connected loads. One key question here will be whether these loads are 120V or 240V or a mixture of both, How well / evenly balanced each half of the split phase is loaded (if you have a lot of 120V loads) and whether or not the Victron inverter/charger has a auto transformer capability.

I assume by "consumer unit/distribution board" you mean your load center / panel board / breaker panel?

Comment

Originally posted by JSchnee21 View Post
            You're right, I don't understand your question. Are you asking about your proposed wiring diagram?

First, make a list of all of your loads. Then identify which loads will be generator only and which loads will be battery backup. Be sure to capture the voltage, current, and VA of each load, as well as the frequency and duration of use.

Assuming your generator is remote and supports either 120V or 120V/240V operation. First identify whether your generator loads are all 240V, all 120V or a mixture of the two. Assuming the immersion heater is 240V, it sounds like all are 240V.

In which case: run 4 wires from the generator (H+H+N+G) to a small breaker panel. Have a main breaker, and separate breakers for each of your generator only loads (immersion heater, outlet, Victron AC Input).

Presumably the Victron has 3 separate connections -- AC IN, AC OUT, and DC IN/OUT. Depending on the model of the Victron, some are able to support more output current than input current by meshing in power from the batteries.

Assuming your charge controller is DC only, it's DC out would be connected to your battery buss bars along with the Victron DC IN/OUT.

Then from the AC out of your Victron, run four wires to a small breaker panel with breakers for your battery connected loads. One key question here will be whether these loads are 120V or 240V or a mixture of both, How well / evenly balanced each half of the split phase is loaded (if you have a lot of 120V loads) and whether or not the Victron inverter/charger has a auto transformer capability.

I assume by "consumer unit/distribution board" you mean your load center / panel board / breaker panel?
            You have pretty much just replicated what i said in my Original post.

All the loads are 240vac and 24dc output of the battery.

120v does not come into the equation.

4 wires from a generator!!?? I think you might mean 1 cable into a 'breaker panel'...
            Last edited by antonycurley; 02-08-2019, 04:37 PM.

Comment

Ok, so you have no 120V loads? Lighting, computer, tv, cell phone charger, fridge, freezer, microwave, coffee maker, etc.?

Yes, 4 wires, L1, L2, N, and G. All 4 conductors may be in the same cord from a common outlet (L14-30R), but all 4 will needed to be landed in your breaker box.

L1 to L2 = 240V
              L1 or L2 to N = 120V
              G = chassis ground

In one location (only), N will be tied to G, and earthed. Either at the generator, or at the load center, but not both.

Be sure your 240V outlet on your generator is not GFI.

Comment

Originally posted by antonycurley View Post

4 wires from a generator!!?? I think you might mean 1 cable into a 'breaker panel'...
                The intent, I believe, was to make clear that whether loose wires or cable there need to be four conductors: L1, L2, N, and EGC (ground).
                And if there is a ground to Neutral bond at the generator you either need to disconnect that bond or make sure there is no similar bond anywhere else in your AC system. Otherwise you will have problems with GFCI breakers or receptacles in some locations.
                SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

Ok. All a bit above my head at the moment. I'm in the UK. It's 240v. I have live, neutral and ground (earth).

I tried to keep it simple at the outset but it's all got a bit technical. 😂

Comment

I'm just wanting to know about wiring it up as stated In my original post!!

Comment

Anthony, you want help but are short people(not being friendly)....not a good combination. Maybe you should hire an electrician. Honestly your original post has very little information, maybe you should reread it.

They last part they are talking about is called bonding. In the US we are required to connect the neutral wire to the ground wire at only one place, this is called bonding. You are in UK so you guys don't use 120VAC so you don't have a neutral wire. I really don't know your answer but a local electrician should.

Good Luck

Comment

I'm not being short - I do apologise if it came across that way.

I just tried to lay to lay it out basic in steps of how I thought it should be wired and it seemed to me that it just strayed away from what I was asking.

Anyway. Thanks for the input.....

Comment

Originally posted by NewBostonConst View Post
                          Anthony, you want help but are short people(not being friendly)....not a good combination. Maybe you should hire an electrician. Honestly your original post has very little information, maybe you should reread it.

They last part they are talking about is called bonding. In the US we are required to connect the neutral wire to the ground wire at only one place, this is called bonding. You are in UK so you guys don't use 120VAC so you don't have a neutral wire. I really don't know your answer but a local electrician should.

Good Luck
                          I don't agree that Anthony was being short. He also wasn't asking for help. He merely asked for feed back. There is a difference.
                          Furthermore he stated he was in the UK, so how does talking about US practices provide useful information?
                          9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

It provides useful information to the other people trying to help him....reading through the posts most people thought it was a US install and it is not and thus likely wired different. I am also letting him know there is a difference and that he can't just assume all diagrams he finds will work in his situation.

Comment

Hello Anthony,
                              I have a similar setup in a off grid with a multiplus and genny.
                              I wired the genny straight to AC in on the multi, and AC out is feeding the main and only one AC distribution board. Any excess available power from your genny will just pass thru to the loads, no need to wire into two separate board, because it will only be life when the genny runs. Off grid makes no sense.
                              Besides , having only one AC distribution for your loads, you can take advantage of the very useful future of the multiplus/quatro: power assist function.

Comment

Working...
                              X