Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Solar System So Far, how am I looking?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Solar System So Far, how am I looking?

So, I am living in northern California. I have 12 panels, but for now only plan on running 2 of them I think. The specs are,
    Rated max power. 220w +-3%
    Open circuit voltage. 36.6
    Rated voltage. 29.2
    Short circuit current. 8.08
    Rated current. 7.54.

Max system voltage. 1000
    Fuse 15 a

My charge controller is MPPT 40a
    12/24/36/48v
    Max pv voltage 150v
    Max pv input power 480w (12v) 960w (24v) 1400w (36v) 1700w (48v)

I have 4 brand new 12v deep cycle everstart 690 marine cranking amps and 101amp hours @ 1a.

I planned on running them in parallel and hope to achieve sufficient power for a few hours when sundown and replacement throughout the day without generator if I plan with weather right. One thing I'm still not certain about is circuit breakers. what size I should get.

Eventually I'd like to get the farm powered by more of it such as well, pumps for irrigations, power tools at times if I upgrade the battery system and get bigger or more charge controllers. But for now this will do for lights, charge phones, and a small led tv.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Hello DeadPhan as always the more info the better, you have done quite well explaining equipment but the application is a bit cloudy, e.g do you live in this I assume its a house full time or is it a holiday cabin? So does it need to power stuff all year round or just occasionally? You really should do a loads analysis how much wattage to each of the items mentioned draw when on, and how many hours a day they will be on for? What we need to be able to offer any advise is how many kW/hrs or watt hours the system needs to supply daily without knowing that its very hard to comment at all. The other thing is the batterys you have are not the type you want they will do a job for a while but they wont last that long, good luck with it, but I know next to nothing about off grid some other more knowledgeable folks might chimin if you supply some more detail, cheers

Comment

Thank you for the reply. It is cabin full time. I live here year round. I will mostly be charging a couple of phones, a Bluetooth speaker and 2 camping lights that have rechargable batteries through microusb ports. I currently do as much on a 100 watt solar kit a friend gave me. It is hooked up to some pretty spent batteries that were gifted to me that he was using and didn't take best care of but do ok keeping those things charged but they are on their way out and at only 100 watts those panels don't really recharge so great on anything but really clear days. I realize now for the amount I spent I prolly would of been better with 2 better batteries than 4 of those but I'll get better batteries next time I upgrade. The only thing I might use from time to time if I have company which isn't too often is a 32" LED TV. It uses 60 watts. This is this tv. https://www.insigniaproducts.com/pdp...12NA15/6080010
      I'd maybe run that for a few hours once in a while if I had company. Does that seem doable?
      Otherwise I watch things on my phone when alone. I have a Honda eu1000 generator for backup so I can recharge batteries if they run low prior to a cloudy day and whatnot but plan on being mindful of the weather outlook.

So pretty sure all I need now is 2 circuit breakers and some wire. I have read about alot of other bells and whistles like battery protectors and all kinds of things. I have alot more panels and over time hope to utilize the and have the whole farm running on solar if possible but starting off slow for now.

Apparently I need 63a type circuit breakers. I found these but curious about the 2 different voltages. One set is rated at 250v and the other 400v. I assumed all 63a would be same but I guess not? Would I rather the 400 or the 250? I'm guessing the 400.
      250V DC 2P Low-voltage Miniature Air Circuit Breaker Solar Energy Switch 16A/32A/63A (63A) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CWXTBZB..._uuLsCb28ZCS4V

uxcell 2 Poles 63A 400V Low-voltage Miniature Circuit Breaker Din Rail Mount DZ47-63 C63 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KNPVPQD..._XxLsCb5G6HH2G

Any advice greatly appreciated. Appologize for my lack of knowledge. I'm working on it. The math not super easy for me. Cheers.

Comment

I would suggest anything MidNite Solar for Breakers and boxes to keep things really simple. Keep DC to DC and AC to AC. You also did not list your inverter. Are you only running things DC?
        285Wx9 / MNClassic 150 / CSW4024 / TrojanL16H-ACx4

Comment

Atm I am running off of an everstart plus 750w inverter. The charge controller that came with current kit has USB ports but they must of gotten fried. I plan on getting a USB channel bar that connect right to the dc as well as a 12v to 5v dc to DC converter for the phones, and a DC power cord for the tv with a DC to DC boost converter for the television.

The manual that came with my charge controller said to get a 63a type circuit breaker. I can't find said type on that site but a neighbor told me the 63a 250v will do fine with my applications. Will let you know how goes all. Thanks. I will know once circuit breakers arrive and I hook up so hopefully few days.

Comment

[QUOTE=DeadPhan;n390704
            The manual that came with my charge controller said to get a 63a type circuit breaker.

Midnite Solar has the 63 amp dc breaker you need.
            2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

I was also wondering about how I might be able.to utilize more panels. my charge controller says, Max pv input power 480w (12v) 960w (24v) 1400w (36v) 1700w (48v).

Now, does this mean, if I was to wire my battery bank in series to get 24v, then, and only then, could I add the extra 2 panels bringing to 4 panels and the wattage to 880 versus 440 on just the 2?
              O
              My panels rated voltage is 29.2. I was told this means they are 24v panels. Is that so?
              This would surely help batteries charge quicker and fuller during day, but would I get the same amount of amp hours running the same devices as I was initially anyway.
              But then I would also need a step down inverter or regulator to bring the 24v down to 12 on my current inverter, yes?
              I'm thinking with my 4 batteries in parallel as long as I dont run too low that the 440 watt panels should do ok recharging because my 100 watt panel kit does pretty good even on days with overcast.

Comment

Short answer, yes.

It looks like your charge controller will handle 40 amps charge current @ 12 or 24 volts. That would be 480watts or 960 watts. So doubling your battery voltage, at the same current, doubles the watts. It's as easy a P=I*E...

You need to make sure that you size your battery bank suitably. FLA batteries want to see C/8-C/12. Too little charge current and you will sulphate your batteries. Too much and you will boil your batteries.

Comment

I have 4 brand new 12v deep cycle everstart 690 marine cranking amps and 101amp hours @ 1a.

Comment

I decided to test the batteries as my circuit breakers will be here Monday and I have gas in the generator to bring the batteries back up to full on charger. I was just curious. Batteries are resting at 12.8. When I hook up and play the tv and 2 phones and a chromecast, it drops to 12.35 reading on multimeter and stays steady going on hour and a half right now. Reading 12.2 steady on the inverter LCD. is that not bad for a load draw so long as it's pretty much staying at that voltage? At what voltage with draw would be wise to call it and shut down?

Comment

Originally posted by DeadPhan View Post
                      Are they new enough that you can still take them back?

Those are not true deep cycle batteries. They are not well suited for this application.

Comment

I had to send friend into town to get them and he lost the receipt. Sux I don't drive n live way out in the sticks so often need to have neighbors grab supplies or get a ride. I would only be able to I'm pretty sure just exchange for new of same batteries though .I'm keeping up on these as I've bought a hydrometer, and have generator as backup to keep them charged even on days I draw down and no sun. I plan on investing in some good agms next. Do you think I should get a good 6 to 9 months out of this bank? Longer maybe? Idk .I know it will be fine for lights and phones for a while as the old batteries and 100 watt setup does that fine. Just wondering how often I might be able to watch TV on the big screen but usually only do with company over which is usually neighbors every so often for a few hours here n there .few times a week or so. More or less depending on weather. I ran for few hours other night and it stayed at 12.2 with load and when shut off and let get back to resting it was resting at 12.65. After a few hours of tv. Will batteries be able to handle this as long as I keep charged after watching one night? Or will they degrade just from a 25 to 35 percent draw often and recharging in itself? Tommorow my circuit breakers should arrive so we'll see I gather.

Comment

I had to send friend into town to get them and he lost the receipt. Sux I don't drive n live way out in the sticks so often need to have neighbors grab supplies or get a ride. I would only be able to I'm pretty sure just exchange for new of same batteries though .I'm keeping up on these as I've bought a hydrometer, and have generator as backup to keep them charged even on days I draw down and no sun. I plan on investing in some good agms next. Do you think I should get a good 6 to 9 months out of this bank? Longer maybe? Idk .I know it will be fine for lights and phones for a while as the old batteries and 100 watt setup does that fine. Just wondering how often I might be able to watch TV on the big screen but usually only do with company over which is usually neighbors every so often for a few hours here n there .few times a week or so. More or less depending on weather. I ran for few hours other night and it stayed at 12.2 with load and when shut off and let get back to resting it was resting at 12.65. After a few hours of tv. Will batteries be able to handle this as long as I keep charged after watching one night? Or will they degrade just from a 25 to 35 percent draw often and recharging in itself? Tommorow my circuit breakers should arrive so we'll see I gather.
                          From those batteries, you might get 1000 cycles to 35% Depth Of Discharge (DOD). So figure about three years of that use. Greater DOD means fewer cycles. Do not plan to go beyond 50% DOD except in emergencies and then try to recharge within a day or two.
                          SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

Thanks. At what reading when drawing the load of the tv should I consider 50% DOD

Comment

Thanks. At what reading when drawing the load of the tv should I consider 50% DOD
                              The best indication is by the specific gravity of the cells rather than voltage for FLA. You can find tables at Battery University.
                              You can also approximate by knowing the AH capacity of the battery bank and knowing the Amp drain of the TV on the average. As long as the drain is less than
                              C/20 you can just compare AH consumed to rated AH capacity.
                              SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

Working...
                              X