solar system for shed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mike90250 View Post

where I stated 120v LED bulb . An incandescent bulb might barely glow. A LED bulb with electronics might behave oddly with 12VDC, depending on it's driver circuity.
    I totally missed the LED part. I guess it depends on the driver circuit whether it ends badly (for the driver) or oddly. I can imagine a 12v incadescent bulb might explode when put on a 120v circuit and it could send pieces of glass outward if that happened.
    9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

• I know with battery’s they have a c rating for charging and discharging. What I’m wondering is what does everything think about hooking up a battery tender on my 4 wheeler? It pulls half a amp or 1 amp and I know that way below the c ratings of my battery.

I have a 75 ah deep cycle battery and would like to connect my battery tender to it but want to make sure I’m not messing up the battery slowly.

The shed dosent get used much in the winter time so it would be pretty much only this taking power.

what do you guys think?
      12v 150watt, 80ah battery, 75 watt inverter.

Comment

• Originally posted by Freeesun View Post
        I know with battery’s they have a c rating for charging and discharging. What I’m wondering is what does everything think about hooking up a battery tender on my 4 wheeler? It pulls half a amp or 1 amp and I know that way below the c ratings of my battery.
        what do you guys think?
        It may depend on the chemistry. I used a battery tender on a pick up truck that had a weak lead acid battery and it kept it topped up because the truck, like most modern vehicles, had vampire loads and was not driven enough to stay charged.
        9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

• It’s a lead acid deep cycle

Comment

• I have two 6v batteries but they are connected using a dc connection and have usb outs. I can’t open it and play around with them they are just a extra battery when I go camping.

I have it it hooked up to a 6v solar panel but it’s not really doing a good job in the winter time charging both of them.

what I would like to do is buy a 50 watt or 25watt 12v panel and charge my two 6v battery’s. I’m wondering if there is something that I can buy to change the voltage from a single 12 to 2 6vs?

Comment

I have two 6v batteries but they are connected using a dc connection and have usb outs. I can’t open it and play around with them they are just a extra battery when I go camping.

I have it it hooked up to a 6v solar panel but it’s not really doing a good job in the winter time charging both of them.

what I would like to do is buy a 50 watt or 25watt 12v panel and charge my two 6v battery’s. I’m wondering if there is something that I can buy to change the voltage from a single 12 to 2 6vs?
              Well to charge a 12v battery system you need about 17volts. Most "battery" 12V panels really deliver between 17 & 18volts but to keep a set of FLA batteries properly charged you need about 1/10th the Ah rating. So if your two 6V batteries create a 12V 200Ah battery system you would need about 20amps to charge them.

So that 6V panel is just about useless for your batteries and even a 50watt panel will not do the trick. For 20amps you would need about 240watts and a MPPT type CC or 4 panels that can delivery more than 5 amps each wired in parallel to a PWM type CC that is rated 20 to 30amps.

Building a solar/battery system is not necessarily cheap.

Comment

• I should of gave the information on which battery’s I have I have the voltaic v44 they’re small battery’s you put into your pocket as a spare.

I didnt know if i could charge both of them with a 12v panel.

Comment

• I actually just figured it out... I could run the solar panel wording to the battery and right beside the battery have a cc with dual usbs out and connect each one to these battery’s.

Comment

I should of gave the information on which battery’s I have I have the voltaic v44 they’re small battery’s you put into your pocket as a spare.

I didnt know if i could charge both of them with a 12v panel.
                    But what is the Ah rating of those V44 batteries and how are they supposed to be charged?

Comment

• 12000mah so 12ah? They get charged with a dc Input at the side of them which accepts 5-6v and 2a max. And I have two of them

Comment

12000mah so 12ah? They get charged with a dc Input at the side of them which accepts 5-6v and 2a max. And I have two of them
                        Well a battery that small might be charged with a small wattage panel but they are Lithium chemistry type batteries and will require a proper charger.

The only way I see it working is for you to use an inverter with a 5-6v output connection but they probably need a 12v battery to connect to first and you will need to get a 12V PWM solar charger that works with a larger pv panel.

Comment

• I have a question and it might be stupid or a really easy answer but I just bought some led outdoor lights that have a small solar panel on them that charge a double a battery.

I read a post on this forum where someone wanted to run their lights off of solar everyday and the system would cost a lot of money for that.

I don’t want to run mine everyday just whenever I’m in the shed I want to turn them on. I know they sell wired 12v outdoor lights but they are really expensive in comparison to what I paid for these.

so my question is can I run these battery powered solar lights off of my shed solar system? I know the voltage for the aa battery’s is 1.5 and lithium is 3, I believe these lights use the 1.5 v. Is there any way I can solder the positive and negative of each light together and run it to my fuse box? Maybe add a resister in the line?

thank you all again for the responses

Comment

so my question is can I run these battery powered solar lights off of my shed solar system? I know the voltage for the aa battery’s is 1.5 and lithium is 3, I believe these lights use the 1.5 v. Is there any way I can solder the positive and negative of each light together and run it to my fuse box? Maybe add a resister in the line?

thank you all again for the responses
                            simply, NO

No safe or sane way to connect a solar light to 120VAC

Why not use a regular LED night light that's designed for 120VAC and bypass the fireworks.

danger do not touch hurt while you die.jpg

Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                            || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                            || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                            gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• Not 120v my shed runs off of a 12v battery. So it’s 12v dc to 1.5v dc.

ive seen voltage regulators that are cheap and go from 1.5-3-6-9v and so on. Couldn’t I just do that?

Comment

• Sorry, I didn't know you had 12VDC at the shed. So using a buck or linear voltage regulator to drop the voltage, and then use a LED driver circuit to limit the amps (LED will gleefully suck all the amps they can and burn out in an instant)
                                Or you can simply buy some 12VDC RV lighting, or roll your own with LED bulbs with integral drivers for 9-30V like these:
                                https://www.wiredco.com/10-LED-SMT-S...olwhiteled.htm
                                Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                                || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                                || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                                gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Working...
                                X