solar system for shed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Freeesun View Post
    Should I disconnect everything from the charge controller and reconnect it with the battery first?
    The charge controller should come with specific instructions on how and in what order to connect everything. You should not have anything connected to charge controller if battery is not connected.

On most controllers, you connect battery first. Then connect solar panel(s). Now you can safely connect the load. Between each device and battery can be circuit protection of your choice. ie fuse or breaker. You will kill a charge controller if not following instructions from manufacturer.

Comment

• I disconnected everything from the cc today and reconnected it the proper way. I don’t think I did any damage but I still connected it the right way for fun.

maybe if I was pushing a lot of amps to it when I connected the solar panel it might of messed it up but it was probably .1 amp or maybe not even.

12v 150watt, 80ah battery, 75 watt inverter.

Comment

• There wouldn't be much current if the batteries are charged.

Comment

• Ya I left it on a battery tender until I started using it. Really wish I bought a sealed lead acid instead of this one where I have to add water to it maybe once a month.

Comment

• What does everybody in here do about lighting for a 12v system? I would like to get some led lights but want them to have a high cri?

Comment

• Originally posted by Freeesun View Post
              What does everybody in here do about lighting for a 12v system? I would like to get some led lights but want them to have a high cri?
              Most of the newer RV lights are 12v but IMO do not provide a lot of illumination. Actually the best 12v lights I have seen are the kind found in the Harbor Freight solar panel package.

Comment

• Ill look into both of those. As soon as I type in cri for less it’s hard to find anything. Seems like it’s a lot easier to find a high cri for regular bulbs and not 12v.

Comment

• I like this vendor for 12V LED gear.. Generally, the Warm White color, gives me the best feeling. The daylight or 5600K is too blue for indoors, IMHO.
                  Warm White is lower lumens, but I think better quality. Most 12V does not carry a CRI number

https://www.wiredco.com/LED_Lighting...age_s/1874.htm

Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                  || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                  || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                  gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• I have a few regular light bulb sockets laying around the house and was wondering if I could use 12v dc light bulbs in them? The socket size is the same and I’m assuming that the socket can handle 120v so why not 12v. Here is the link to the light bulbs I’m thinking about buying.

12V LED Bulb E26 7W 630Lm 12 Volt Low Voltage Lights AC/DC 11-16V E27 A19 Edison Lamp(6000K Day White)40-60 Watt Bulbs https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07MCGH7N4/..._nt.aEbTP3M1GD

Comment

• Yes you can use them. But you NEED to be VERY careful, not to let anyone put a 12V bulb in a 120V socket, or a 120V LED bulb into a DC socket, either mistake can end badly.
                      Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                      || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

Comment

• Originally posted by Mike90250 View Post
                        Yes you can use them. But you NEED to be VERY careful, not to let anyone put a 12V bulb in a 120V socket, or a 120V LED bulb into a DC socket, either mistake can end badly.
                        I use 300 Watt 120 volt bulbs to bleed the voltage on 8 volt DC battery modules. What have I missed?
                        9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

• Originally posted by Ampster View Post

I use 300 Watt 120 volt bulbs to bleed the voltage on 8 volt DC battery modules. What have I missed?
                          Have you ever screwed in a 12V bulb on a 120V circuit? Not pretty.

I just wish the 12V bulbs has some type of inhibitor to keep them from being used on higher voltage circuits.

Comment

• Originally posted by SunEagle View Post

Have you ever screwed in a 12V bulb on a 120V circuit? Not pretty.

I just wish the 12V bulbs has some type of inhibitor to keep them from being used on higher voltage circuits.
                            Of course not. My question was with regard to the bad things that could happen with a 120 volt bulb on a 12 volt circuit. As far as I have experienced, nothing bad will happen except it will not be very bright. Hardly a safety issue compared to plugging in a 12v bulb into a 120v circuit.
                            9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

Of course not. My question was with regard to the bad things that could happen with a 120 volt bulb on a 12 volt circuit. As far as I have experienced, nothing bad will happen except it will not be very bright. Hardly a safety issue compared to plugging in a 12v bulb into a 120v circuit.
                              You are correct. There really shouldn't be an issue with a 120v bulb on a 12v circuit. Possible Mike was focused on the other way, 12V on a 120V circuit when he posted the warning.

Comment

where I stated 120v LED bulb . An incandescent bulb might barely glow. A LED bulb with electronics might behave oddly with 12VDC, depending on it's driver circuity.

Comment

Working...
                                X