Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freeesun
    replied
    A Note about Deep Cycle Batteries and Low Voltage Cut-off

that article vs that picture I have no idea.

Leave a comment:

• Freeesun
    replied
    I have a fla and I read a article that said no less than 11.6v but when I look at photos in google the same picture shows up saying that 11.6v would be considered around 20% which is very low to discharge it at.

Leave a comment:

• sdold
    replied
    The low voltage cut off is a last line of defense to prevent permanent battery damage. Routine depth of discharge should generally be no more than 50% for FLA and 80% for AGM.

Leave a comment:

• Freeesun
    replied
    I’m never going to stop having questions it seems. Now I’m reading about battery cut off and I’ve read a article that said to never go below 11.6v But I see charts that show 12.6v as 50%.

11.6v seems really low, I have a deep cycle battery but now I’m not really sure what I should cut it off at.11.6v is 20% according to these charts online.

Leave a comment:

• Freeesun
    replied
    I was a complete newb until All of you guys gave me some fantastic advice. And it seems like I know everything there is to know until I decide to take the next step, then I’m confused again

it was funny when people were sending me pics of extension cords and telling me to buy those instead of a solar system I liked that

Leave a comment:

• littleharbor
    replied
    220 posts and counting. Who would have thought a post called "Solar System For Shed" would run this long?
    Merely an observation.

Leave a comment:

• Freeesun
    replied
    I have a cheap cc bought from amazon for around $25 I believe. I’m going to leave my setup this way just didn’t know that the load terminals on cheap cc can’t pass through many amps.

i have my battery connected directly to my main fuse box but I don’t want to put a switch there because I want my battery to charge when I’m not in the shed. What I plan on doing is putting a switch in between all the positives from the dc appliances I have.

again for the millionth time thanks every body for the answers...

ampster for some reason my comments are unapproved but the video I watched on YouTube was wills called building a 200 watt system. And I read about exactly what sunking explained somewhere on this website.

Leave a comment:

• SunEagle
    replied
    Originally posted by Freeesun
    Ya I just got one off of amazon for around that price, I’m really excited to install all my components into my shed whenever they come in.

ive asked this question before and I don’t think I got a response. My cc is wired to my fuse box with the negative going into the negative location on the box and the positive going into a slot with a fuse in it. My battery is connected to the main positive and negative location on the box.

everything works but I’m not using my last two spots on my cc so I can’t see how much power I’m using. I did it this way because I watched a video from will prouse on YouTube and he said to do it this way.

how do you guys wire up your cc to your fuse box and do you use your load output section on your cc? On the video will says he doesn’t like using the load output section on the cc why is that?
    Some of the cheaper CC's have a Load Terminal that is rated very low in amps and can't handle anywhere near what an inverter will see. Most of those Load connections were for low amp lighting which allows the CC to control when they are turned on and off. The higher quality CC's have load terminals rated the same amps as the CC so it can take a much bigger load. If you have one of those CC's then I believe you can run a pair of wires to a fuse box which then will allow you to power smaller loads based on the fuses for each string.

Currently my CC is wired directly to my batteries through a fuse rated the output of the CC with wire rated so it can carry that amp rating and more. At the battery I connect an inverter to run my AC loads there is a fuse on the positive wire between the battery and inverter.

Now if my loads were 12V DC I would run a master wire from the battery to the positive side of a fuse box. This wire would have overcurrent protection via fuse or circuit breaker. If it is a fuse then I would have a Master switch which would turn off all of my DC loads.

Leave a comment:

• Freeesun
    replied
    I’m trying to send a message with two links but it says unapproved so we have to wait I guess

Leave a comment:

• Freeesun
    replied

Discuss remote solar applications for homes, cabins, RV and boats. If you have a question on equipment for an off grid system, such as charge controllers or inverters, then post your question in this forum.

i just read this article on the forum and it answers the question, I guess every cc load output has a amp cutoff which is pretty low so nobody really uses it. I’ve been wondering this for a while now. I built my system just like this video but added a small 75watt inverter to my fuse box for my products that aren’t dc.

Leave a comment:

• Ampster
    replied
    how do you guys wire up your cc to your fuse box and do you use your load output section on your cc? On the video will says he doesn’t like using the load output section on the cc why is that?
    I have watched a lot of his videos and don't recall which one offered that advice. I am curious too. Do you have a link to which one?
    I can only speculate based on one small charge controller I had years ago that was designed for outdoor evening lights. The output terminals only turned on at night.
    Last edited by Ampster; 04-29-2020, 02:15 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Freeesun
    replied
    Ya I just got one off of amazon for around that price, I’m really excited to install all my components into my shed whenever they come in.

ive asked this question before and I don’t think I got a response. My cc is wired to my fuse box with the negative going into the negative location on the box and the positive going into a slot with a fuse in it. My battery is connected to the main positive and negative location on the box.

everything works but I’m not using my last two spots on my cc so I can’t see how much power I’m using. I did it this way because I watched a video from will prouse on YouTube and he said to do it this way.

Leave a comment:

• SunEagle
    replied
    I need the cheapest strongest switch regardless of name lol
    Without a box those switches should only be about $20.

Leave a comment:

• Freeesun
    replied
    I need the cheapest strongest switch regardless of name lol

Leave a comment:

• Ampster
    replied
    My loads aren’t really that heavy I’ll look for a switch that can handle all of them together plus any further loads. Thank you again for your response.
    Okay. But if you want the illusion of being in a race car during these times, you could find one that is red and label it "kill switch" Sometimes they are called deadman switches by given the prevalence of COVID19 that might not be considered a good idea

Leave a comment:

Working...