Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • azdave
    • Oct 2014

Originally posted by ZachI
    I am being quoted $20K to have power run to my cabin...
    Just guessing the cabin property cost was low since it had no grid power when purchased. Spend the $20K and add long-term value to the property and forget the whole solar hassle for you and generations to come.

Do you really want to complicate things that much by maintaining an off-grid system for who knows how long? If you only go there for the weekends do you think you will enjoy spending 25% of that time farting around with the batteries and equipment? Don't you worry someone might steal the batteries and equipment while you are away?

I would spend for grid power over off-grid at even 4 times the cost of a stand-alone system.

Dave W. Gilbert AZ
    6.63kW grid-tie owner

Comment

• Sunking
      Solar Fanatic
      • Feb 2010

Originally posted by azdave
      Don't you worry someone might steal the batteries and equipment while you are away?
      You would need to worry if any of my hunter, hikers, ganja farmers, and nature lover friends seen the panels sparkling in the sun from miles away. Those batteries work great on trolling motors and Craigslist. No way to trace them.
      MSEE, PE

Comment

• littleharbor
        Solar Fanatic
        • Jan 2016

Just keep in mind, Once you have built your expensive Off Grid system you will be replacing those real expensive batteries every 2-6 years, depending on usage and abuse/neglect. Its the gift that keeps on giving.
        2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

• J.P.M.
          Solar Fanatic
          • Aug 2013

Originally posted by ZachI
          Understood-I am being quoted $20K to have power run to my cabin so I understand there will be significant cost. Lets work on a system!
          I'd jump on that with both feet. 20 large is a steal. Call it an investment.

Comment

Working...