How much for an off grid system ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DOD - Depth of Discharge.

My experience puts the cost of off-grid with batteries between $2500 to $3K per KWH used daily. With @1/3 of that cost reoccurring every 5 years to replace the batteries. So if 12KWH a day then $30K to $36K with $10k to $12k reoccurring.

Don't go by 1 months bill though. You need to look at worst case so need a years worth of bills to tell which is your worst.

Comment

To: Wy_White_Wolf
      Looks like my highest monthly usage was 470 KWH (probably the furnace motor). My average is about 370.
      Last edited by CracklePop; 04-23-2018, 03:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CracklePop View Post
        Huge amount of embarrassment here. My wife had the electric bill tucked away and IT SAYS (Drumroll) "kWh used 310".
        OK that is 10 Kwh per day and would be a huge off-grid system. You are talking a 3000 pound $7500 battery every few years.

MSEE, PE

Comment

Originally posted by Sunking View Post

OK that is 10 Kwh per day and would be a huge off-grid system. You are talking a 3000 pound $7500 battery every few years.
          And that's only for the batteries !

Comment

Originally posted by Sunking View Post

I've made some mistakes here. My electric company emailed my usage to me and it comes out to about 370 kwh per month. Next: I'm sure a 3000 pound (did you mean 300 ?) battery would last a long time but I couldn't lift it. I'd prefer some smaller batteries a friend could help me with. Dekas are good, but I'm open to recommendations. BTW, I could cut down my electrical needs by getting a gas fridge and LED lighting.
            Last edited by CracklePop; 04-23-2018, 04:02 PM.

Comment

[COLOR=#000080]I've made some mistakes here. My electric company emailed my usage to me and it comes out to about 370 kwh per month.
              OK that is 370 Kwh pe rmonth / 30 days = 12.33 Kwh per day requiring even a larger battery

Next: I'm sure a 3000 pound (did you mean 300 ?) battery would last a long time but I couldn't lift it.
              No I meant 3000 pounds total at 10 Kwh per day. Now we are talking 4400 pounds you replace every 5 years. You are talking 48 volts @ 1250 AH. You would use 4-volt batteries like a Trojan SIND_4_1685. It would require 12 batteries wired in series and each cell weighs 367 pounds.

Each cell will cost roughly $1000 x 12 cells. Sop be careful what you ask for because what you are asking for is roughly a 500% electric rate increase just in battery cost alone. It will require a 4000 watt system. So you are lookin gat $20,000 plus to go off grid, and $12,000 every 5 years to replace battery if they do not go up, but they will go up.
              Last edited by Sunking; 04-23-2018, 05:19 PM.
              MSEE, PE

Comment

Working...
              X