How much for an off grid system ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much for an off grid system ?

I'm familiar with solar & wind. I did it in NE Arizona, but didn't have enough bucks to do it right. That was years ago. Things have improved. I might try it again in Southern Colorado, but need to know roughly what it will cost me. Not too sure about panels made in the orient. My last electric bill said I used 12 kwh. Maybe that will help you answer this question. I forgot to say it would be a hybrid system using wind, solar and a gas driven battery charger.
    Thank you ..... Alan..........Monday:

Huge amount of embarrassment here. My wife had the electric bill tucked away and IT SAYS ( Drum roll ) "kWh used 310".

Last edited by CracklePop; 04-23-2018, 01:23 PM. Reason: Big mistake - Please see original post for editing

How long did it take you to use 12 kWh ?

Comment

Generally, if you don't have to tie your hat on when you go outside, you don't have enough wind to be really useful

12kwh daily. Wow, that's pretty hefty ! Days when I pump water for 4 hours, I use 11-12kwh I started with a 3kw array, but unless weather was perfect, I seldom completed charging and had to fall back to generator. now with 5kw solar, I only use generator on 2nd cloudy day
      Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
      || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
      || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
      gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Originally posted by J.P.M. View Post
        How long did it take you to use 12 kWh ?
        OMG .....That's a monthly quote not a daily one

Comment

I have a system that gives me about 5.2 kWh of power per each full charge at 50% DOD. Cost was a $1.35 per Watt at 5.2kWh's.
          285Wx9 / MNClassic 150 / CSW4024 / TrojanL16H-ACx4

Comment

Originally posted by CracklePop View Post

So, pardon my ignorance, but just what does that mean ? Is that 12 kWh an average daily use over a month or 12 kWh use for an entire billing period ? Or what?

Comment

12KWhr a month is almost nothing; you're already paying so little that solar is likely not going to save you much on your bill. Even here in the land of expensive power you'd be paying $3 a month plus a minimum. Might take you up to $6 a month.

Comment

Originally posted by Matrix View Post
                I have a system that gives me about 5.2 kWh of power per each full charge at 50% DOD. Cost was a $1.35 per Watt at 5.2kWh's.
                My original post said it was an off grid system (in the boonies). I'm not going to waste my time with solar in my present location. There are too many lights screwing up my interest in astronomy so I want to move. Q. Why are neighbors so inconsiderate ? Okay.....Typically DOD stands for Dept of Defense. What does it mean in your post ? Thanks .................................................. .................................................. ......................................... My1stDome.png
                Last edited by CracklePop; 04-22-2018, 01:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jflorey2 View Post
                  12KWhr a month is almost nothing; you're already paying so little that solar is likely not going to save you much on your bill. Even here in the land of expensive power you'd be paying $3 a month plus a minimum. Might take you up to $6 a month.
                  I should call my electric company and get them to explain that monthly figure on my bill

Comment

12 Kwh/month. I have a very hard time believing that. That is 400 watt hours per day. That would be something like a laptop with a small LED light.
                    MSEE, PE

Comment

My original post said it was an off grid system (in the boonies). I'm not going to waste my time with solar in my present location. There are too many lights screwing up my interest in astronomy so I want to move. Q. Why are neighbors so inconsiderate ? Okay.....Typically DOD stands for Dept of Defense. What does it mean in your post ? Thanks
                      System is what would be considered off grid as it is not attached to the grid at all and all the loads that it handles are connected to it. It is small/medium an can handle 3400 watt loads with 6000 watt starts and 4000 watts for 30 minutes. There is 5.2kWh's of energy storage available before the batteries are at a DOD (Depth of Discharge) of 50%. How long it takes a person to burn thru the batteries energy storage depends on the users Watt hours used per day which is determined by a detailed in house energy audit - that u can do yourself with a simple Kill-a-Watt meter.

Also it is not best to use 50% of the battery all the time for longer cycle life, but 50% is the number used for usable storage of flood acid batteries before you do harm to the batteries from over discharge.

285Wx9 / MNClassic 150 / CSW4024 / TrojanL16H-ACx4

Comment

Originally posted by Sunking View Post
                        12 Kwh/month. I have a very hard time believing that. That is 400 watt hours per day. That would be something like a laptop with a small LED light.
                        After your informative post, so do I

Comment

Originally posted by Matrix View Post
                          System is what would be considered off grid as it is not attached to the grid at all and all the loads that it handles are connected to it. It is small/medium an can handle 3400 watt loads with 6000 watt starts and 4000 watts for 30 minutes. There is 5.2kWh's of energy storage available before the batteries are at a DOD (Depth of Discharge) of 50%. How long it takes a person to burn thru the batteries energy storage depends on the users Watt hours used per day which is determined by a detailed in house energy audit - that u can do yourself with a simple Kill-a-Watt meter.

Also it is not best to use 50% of the battery all the time for longer cycle life, but 50% is the number used for usable storage of flood acid batteries before you do harm to the batteries from over discharge.
                          Sounds like I should buy more batteries and panels especially for those overcast days. I have to find out how much of a drop the panels have on a gloomy day

Comment

Sounds like I should buy more batteries and panels especially for those overcast days. I have to find out how much of a drop the panels have on a gloomy day
                            Average cloudy day, expect 10% of nameplate. Real gloomy, one day I harvested less then 500wh from a 5 kw array. Generator time
                            Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                            || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                            || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                            gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Originally posted by Sunking View Post
                              Huge amount of embarrassment here. My wife had the electric bill tucked away and IT SAYS (Drumroll) "kWh used 310".

Comment

Working...
                              X