Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PalawanWolfe
    • Feb 2018

Beach cabana's solar set up

I have a remote 13ha beach property in the Philippines that I am building some vacation cabana's on. Two are almost finished with plans for another soon. I would like to install a solar system for them. I have done a lot of research but would love someone to pick my plan apart and tell me where I've erred. I'll start with an overview and then get into load and proposed equipment.

I plan on a single solar array on one of the cabana's that will also serve as the main solar hub. I want to run almost everything off of DC. I have test purchased a couple 12v DC fans, they pull 15w and move enough air to be sufficient. 12v DC LED lighting seems very efficient. I will also install combination 12v usb charging socket/cigarette lighter sockets. That should cover most of the power needs, I will however install an as needed roughly 1500w inverter in each cabana that can be turned on if someone wants to run a small hair dryer or something. Depending on the availability of a small DC fridge/freezer I may have to put in a bigger inverter in the main cabana.
    In order to keep the size of the charge controller, and wire down I would like to run a 24v system and then use one 20amp, 240w 24v to 12v converter in each cabana.

I Figure that the worst case scenario load per cabana will be as follows

2 fans running for 10 hours at 15w each 300w x3 900w
    3 lights running for 5 hours at 10w each 150w x3 450w
    device charging per day, total guestimate. 200w x3 600w

The main cabana
    1 mini fridge/ freezer 750w
    1 45psi 12v DC RV pump running 2 hours a day 75w

Total 2775w

I do not know what specific panels will be available but plan to run a 900-1kw array. They have a year round 5 hour solar power window. That should be plenty to power everything and some power tools during the day.

I have been looking an MPPT charge controller from ROXSAT MPPT-24V80D. I am not tied to it, it is cheap so i suspect it's not great. My main question about it is that it has a slot for 2 different battery banks. Can it really manage two different banks. If so, would it allow me to buy half the batteries I will eventually need and then buy the rest later without the usual new/old battery problems? Short of that will it manage parallel strings better than normal?

For batteries I will also be limited to what I can get down there but I plan on using 4-6v, 200ah batteries in series, with another string running in parallel. I will need either sealed AGM or gel batteries because the property will spend most of the year unattended. That gives me less than a day extra on the batteries, hopefully my over estimation of the load and the reduced load from fans on rainy days helps to mitigate that. I will probably start with one string and then later replace buy the full sized bank and relegate the older batteries to a different system for a bar/grill area.

For inverters, I plan on using whatever is available locally. I don't see why i would even need a pure sine wave inverter.

Do I need a low battery voltage disconnect since the system will only be attended by our local caretaker for most of the year?

I can bring the charge controller, some inverters, low voltage disconnect if needed, and the DC fans-lights-usb socket with me on the flight.

Comments?
    Last edited by PalawanWolfe; 03-02-2018, 07:01 PM.
  • Mike90250
    • May 2009

Not going to work the way you think.
    I want to run almost everything off of DC. I have test purchased a couple 12v DC fans, they pull 15w and move enough air to be sufficient. 12v DC LED lighting seems very efficient. I will also install combination 12v usb charging socket/cigarette lighter sockets. That should cover most of the power needs, I will however install an as needed roughly 1500w inverter in each cabana that can be turned on if someone wants to run a small hair dryer or something.
    Fan and lights you can get by with on 12V. But that inverter is going to suck a bunch of amps at 12V [ 1200w /12v = >100a ] That's going to take a really fat cable to each cabana.
    Could do it with a central inverter and run 120VAC to each cabana.

Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• PalawanWolfe
      • Feb 2018

Originally posted by Mike90250
      Not going to work the way you think.

Fan and lights you can get by with on 12V. But that inverter is going to suck a bunch of amps at 12V [ 1200w /12v = >100a ] That's going to take a really fat cable to each cabana.
      Could do it with a central inverter and run 120VAC to each cabana.
      In my original post
      'In order to keep the size of the charge controller, and wire down I would like to run a 24v system and then use one 20amp, 240w 24v to 12v converter in each cabana.'

The cabanas are about 30 feet from each other, with a 24v system do you still feel that running one central inverter is better?. Also, are you suggesting I scrap the DC idea altogether or that I run DC for most items and a parallel AC system?

Comment

• Mike90250
        • May 2009

Once you get loads like hair dryers , overall it will be simpler to have a central inverter @ 48V to run it all. Let guests bring their own USB warts, put in the efficient ceiling fans and lights, use timers on all the stuff, guests will abuse power.
        Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
        || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

Comment

• littleharbor
          Solar Fanatic
          • Jan 2016

Originally posted by Mike90250
          use timers on all the stuff, guests will abuse power.

When I saw 2 fans for 10 hours I was thinking more like 2 fans for 24 hours.
          2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

• PalawanWolfe
            • Feb 2018

Great points about the inverter, I had not thought about the wire size needed for to make that work before. AC and DC LED lighting is similar, installed DC USB vs. customer supplied USB is a wash too, the problem I was trying to solve with the DC system is fans. A normal fan will blow my system requirements through the roof and I can not find a source for efficient AC fans on Palawan. Shipping is not really an option as it is expensive, it will take months to get through customs, and it will almost certainly get slapped with a 60% tariff. I can however put quite a few 'Sunlar 28" inch 12v DC Ceiling fans' and 'Hopkins SP570804 Go Gear 12 Volt Oscillating Fan's into my checked baggage.

Do you have any suggestions for my fan conundrum? Or should I just stock the cabanas with DC hairdryers and tiny inverters.

The timers are a great idea!

Comment

• Mike90250
              • May 2009

Wow, shipping is that big of a problem? Bummer. I'd recommend these https://www.bigassfans.com/fans/haiku/ but they won't fit in a suitcase. Maybe some AC-12Vdc wall warts to run the DC fans is the best thing ?

Comment

• littleharbor
                Solar Fanatic
                • Jan 2016

On the lighter side of things there is this O2 cool fan. I have used these in my RV's and was quite happy with them. 2 speed and quite powerful. Durable as well. They are powered by 8 D-cell batteries or a 12 volt external plug.. These will fit into a suitcase and are very inexpensive. Walmart has them for $14.88.

O2 cool fan.jpg

Comment

• SunEagle
                  Super Moderator
                  • Oct 2012

Originally posted by littleharbor
                  On the lighter side of things there is this O2 cool fan. I have used these in my RV's and was quite happy with them. 2 speed and quite powerful. Durable as well. They are powered by 8 D-cell batteries or a 12 volt external plug.. These will fit into a suitcase and are very inexpensive. Walmart has them for $14.88.

O2 cool fan.jpg
                  I have one of those fans and it works great. Just make sure you take out the batteries if you put the fan in storage over the Winter otherwise they may leak and damage it.

Comment

• littleharbor
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Jan 2016

Originally posted by SunEagle

I have one of those fans and it works great. Just make sure you take out the batteries if you put the fan in storage over the Winter otherwise they may leak and damage it.

OH, and if you use external power you need the batteries or some other form of ballast to keep it stable. I made small sand bags.

Comment

• PalawanWolfe
                      • Feb 2018

I am getting ready to start making purchases. Do you guys see any other issues?

Comment

• Sunking
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Feb 2010

Beach + Sand + Salt Air = replace yearly.
                        MSEE, PE

Comment

• PNPmacnab
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Nov 2016

I think you are way light on panels. I have a camp and triple that. The nature of people is they will turn things on and leave them on. As described I think you are destined to fail.

Comment

• SupraLance
                            • Feb 2018

Another option would be separate isolated systems for each cabana. This avoids several problems in your original plan, such as batteries in parallel, and requires no wiring at all between the cabanas. It also stops one guest from running another guest out of power and encourages each guest to practice conservation. Your 8 batteries could be 2 to each smaller cabana and 4 to the main. Smaller controllers are a lot cheaper, so buying several can actually be cheaper than buying one big controller. And all the wiring runs can be kept very short. And if something fails, only one of the cabanas is without power.

Comment

• PalawanWolfe
                              • Feb 2018

Originally posted by Sunking
                              Beach + Sand + Salt Air = replace yearly.
                              IMG-a35b21758f33de1de1ed01bdf2f6518b-V.jpg

Which parts will fail every year? If it is the panels, will mounting them to the roof of the pictured cabana help or should we have the panels some distance inshore?

Comment

Working...