Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nkxd
    • Jan 2018

Originally posted by sdold
    It's better to start your own thread. From the forum home page, click on the "Forums" tab in the upper left, scroll down and click on the forum that matches what you are building (probably "Off grid solar panel systems") and then click on the light blue "New topic" button on the left side.

Edit: Thanks littleharbor, you beat me to it
    Thanks guys, I can't start a new thread-New topic missing, probably because I am a new member (I guess?). Do I need to have a number of posts before I submit a new thread?
    Sorry for hijacking this thread, I will stop posting here.

Comment

• littleharbor
      Solar Fanatic
      • Jan 2016

Top left corner of page, click on FORUMS. Then select an appropriate category. You should find a blue box in the upper left corner of the page that says +NEW TOPIC. click on that, give it a title and type away.
      2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

• SunEagle
        Super Moderator
        • Oct 2012

Originally posted by nkxd

Not there Not sure why..
        *Please delete all my posts when you check this. Sorry for spamming in the first place..
        The "New Topic button" shows up in the upper left corner after you have selected one of the topics listed below.

Comment

• littleharbor
          Solar Fanatic
          • Jan 2016

Very strange. It should be right between the words
          TOPICS, and,
          HERE
          TOPICS.

Right above the list of ....You got it,.. Topics

Comment

• lrseda
            • Dec 2017

Lol

Comment

• Mike90250
              • May 2009

NewTopic.jpg
              Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
              || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
              || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
              gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• littleharbor
                Solar Fanatic
                • Jan 2016

Originally posted by Mike90250
                NewTopic.jpg
                Notice , his screenshot is missing the blue box.

Comment

• Mike90250
                  • May 2009

Same issue in Firefox and Chrome, I think it is an account issue. I can't send pm's either. If a moderator reads this, please check my account's permissions.
                  Thanks
                  Nobody gets PM's. Lots of newcomers can't start a thread. Maybe an Admin can look at what's required. Mod's can't make much of a impact, other than banning spammers
                  Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                  || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                  || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                  gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• lrseda
                    • Dec 2017

Oops! I hope that bell doesn't toll for me I found this at "Help":

To start a new topic simply click on the + New Topic button (you may need the right permissions to do this).
                    I'm new here too with only two threat... Yes to start a threat simply click the New Topic buttom and viola!!!

Ok guy to continue with my threat, I have another question.

Per my calculation using the off-grid calculator I consume around 3590 watts hrs. In the other hand in the summarize of the Outback Controller I use around 2.4kwh average.

See the calculation attached.

I have a 740 Ah battery bank. Do I need more bank capacity or I'm ok with that?

Perhaps until I get the 48 Inverter (still searching for one)

Thanks

power calculator.jpg

Comment

• Matrix
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Oct 2017

I found this calculator to be pretty easy to use and gave me a close approximation. After 3 months of using my system it was pretty close
                      285Wx9 / MNClassic 150 / CSW4024 / TrojanL16H-ACx4

Comment

• Suprasoup
                        • Oct 2017

Irseda,

Remember that you have two strings of solar panels going into the same battery bank. One string controlled by a PWM controller and the other by your Outback. The Outback cannot see the PWM controllers contribution. But if we assume that the PWM controller is contributing 50% of what the Outback MPPT controller is then it would be putting 1.2Kwh into your bank. 2.4Kwh + 1.2Kwh = 3.6Kwh. Looks like it agrees pretty much with your daily usage calculations.

Comment

• lrseda
                          • Dec 2017

Originally posted by Matrix
                          I found this calculator to be pretty easy to use and gave me a close approximation. After 3 months of using my system it was pretty close
                          Matrix Thanks for the info

Originally posted by Suprasoup
                          Irseda,

Remember that you have two strings of solar panels going into the same battery bank. One string controlled by a PWM controller and the other by your Outback. The Outback cannot see the PWM controllers contribution. But if we assume that the PWM controller is contributing 50% of what the Outback MPPT controller is then it would be putting 1.2Kwh into your bank. 2.4Kwh + 1.2Kwh = 3.6Kwh. Looks like it agrees pretty much with your daily usage calculations.
                          Suprasoup You are right, I forgot about the numbers the pwm produce. So, with that number I'm pretty much above the numbers the battery bank can handle 740Ah. Is this right or I miss something?

Comment

• lrseda
                            • Dec 2017

Hi all,

Ok the wait is over. Next week the Outback FXR3048A inverter arrive (maybe Monday) thanks to ButchDeal for helping me on that. So I need to recapitulate what I have to do and what I need.

Suprasoup , You told me to put the panels in a 3s2p configuration, still don't need fuse? I do have a disconnect non-fuse box between the panels and the Outback CC.

I have a DC switch exiting the battery bank and a 150ANL fuse to the 12V inverter, can I keep that to the 48V inverter?

From the inverter to the panel its recommended a sub panel, please advice me on that and a fuse or breaker for the generator connection.

If I left something, I'm open to suggestions.

Comment

• Suprasoup
                              • Oct 2017

With only 2 parallel strings no fuse is necessary.

Check the specs on your ANL fuse it might not be rated for 48v DC. Quick calculation on fuse sizes is using your inverter wattage divided by voltage.

3000w / 48v =62.5. Multiply that by 125%. Your minimum fuse size is 80a. Your maximum fuse size is based on wire size.

The fuse is there to protect the wire. What size wire are you using between the inverter and the battery?

Comment

• lrseda
                                • Dec 2017

Originally posted by Suprasoup
                                With only 2 parallel strings no fuse is necessary.

The fuse is there to protect the wire. What size wire are you using between the inverter and the battery?
                                I'm using #2 cable

Comment

Working...