X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lrseda
    • Dec 2017

New Setup... lot of questions

Hi all,

New to the forum and the solar energy topic. Been reading a lot on the web and the forum. I leave in Puerto Rico specifically in the center (the mountains). As other has post we get hit by two hurricanes and the last one (Maria) was a direct hit. I still dont have utility power and wont expect it in a few more weeks or maybe months. I purchase some panels and charger controllers and hook everything together as follow, before I list everything I learn the hard way and know I have the wrong setup but at lease got juice to power the frigde, tv's, charging stuff, internet and the washing machine.

Here is what I got with descriptions. Feel free to advise or criticize so I can fix and learn more about it.

6 - Orion 1000 ECO260 (32V Vmp @ 8.13Amp, 38V Voc) They are in a 3 set in parallel to the charger controller
    2 - MPPT30 (I know they are not true MPPT, they are more a PWM)
    2 - 6 volt FS8-D and 4 more waiting for delivery
    1- 2000 watt 12V inverter

I already purchase a Outback FLEXmax 80 and also considering on a 24Volt Inverter. I know the best route is 48V but the budget is a big issue right now.

What will be the best configuration to wire the panel when I get the outback CC?
    All in parallel? or 2 in series and then in parallel?

Thanks in advance.
  • Suprasoup
    • Oct 2017

The Outback Flexmax 80 has a 150VDC input. 1 string=3 panels wired in series. Parallel the two strings to the charge controller. 3s2p.

Comment

• lrseda
      • Dec 2017

Originally posted by Suprasoup
      The Outback Flexmax 80 has a 150VDC input. 1 string=3 panels wired in series. Parallel the two strings to the charge controller. 3s2p.
      Thanks Suprasoup for reply,

Parallel the two strings to the charge controller. 3s2p
      Is the diagram uploaded represent 3s2p?

array.jpg

Does this setup still work for 12V system until I upgrade to at least 24V?

Do I limit the watts to 1000w because I'm using a 12 volt system?

Thanks
      Attached Files
      Last edited by lrseda; 01-08-2018, 09:06 AM.

Comment

• Matrix
        Solar Fanatic
        • Oct 2017

Originally posted by lrseda

Is the diagram uploaded represent 3s2p?
        Yes except I might consider using a combiner box with breakers for each series string.

285Wx9 / MNClassic 150 / CSW4024 / TrojanL16H-ACx4

Comment

• lrseda
          • Dec 2017

Originally posted by Matrix
          Yes except I might consider using a combiner box with breakers for each series string.
          Thanks Matrix for the advice, will look into it

Comment

• sensij
            Solar Fanatic
            • Sep 2014

Thanks Matrix for the advice, will look into it
            With only two strings, there is no reason for over current protection. Simple MC4 Y-connectors can be used to make the parallel connections. A DC disconnect can be nice, but there isn't much reason to invest in more than that unless you expect to add more strings in the future (and want to design for that now).
            CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

Comment

• Sunking
              Solar Fanatic
              • Feb 2010

Originally posted by Matrix
              Absolutely unnecessary and waste of money. Combiner and fuses are only required for 3 or more strings. Solar panels are current sources, not voltage sources.

MSEE, PE

Comment

• Sunking
                Solar Fanatic
                • Feb 2010

Does this setup still work for 12V system until I upgrade to at least 24V?
                Take my advice or you will be sorry. Forget 12 volts, do not use anything that is rated 12 volts like a 12 volt battery. Second do not skimp on a MPPT Controller. DO NOT BUY ANYTHING FROM FLEA BAY OR A CHI-COM.

With 6 panels of 260 watts is 1560 watts. If the controller were PWM means you must wire all panels in parallel and you loose 50% of your power. That means combiners and expensive fuses on top of your pain in the wallet.

SMART MONEY is to use a quality MPPT Controller. On a 24 volt battery minimum size would be 65 amps.If it were me I would purchase a Morningstar TS-MPPT- 60 a 60 amp MPPT Controller. At 24 volts limits you to 1600 watts input and no room for growth. You want to run 48 volt battery and with the TS-MPPT-60 will allow you to grow the system to 3200 watts.

Trust me what I recommend is less expensive than your idea. My way will work, your idea will fail in a week or less leaving you in the dark and all that money will be gone.
                MSEE, PE

Comment

• lrseda
                  • Dec 2017

Thanks for all your replies and advices I sure appreciate it

Originally posted by Sunking
                  Take my advice or you will be sorry. Forget 12 volts, do not use anything that is rated 12 volts like a 12 volt battery.
                  I'm looking to upgrade to a 24v and see that will be better on a 48V, but as mentioned in the first post, budget is a issue right now. I need to figure out how to get the 48v inverter plus two more 6Volt batteries.

With 6 panels of 260 watts is 1560 watts. If the controller were PWM means you must wire all panels in parallel and you loose 50% of your power. That means combiners and expensive fuses on top of your pain in the wallet.
                  True, this is my error on buy something on a hurry to at lease have power in my situation. This is a chi-com equipment that said its a mppt30 and its a fake one.

SMART MONEY is to use a quality MPPT Controller. On a 24 volt battery minimum size would be 65 amps.If it were me I would purchase a Morningstar TS-MPPT- 60 a 60 amp MPPT Controller. At 24 volts limits you to 1600 watts input and no room for growth. You want to run 48 volt battery and with the TS-MPPT-60 will allow you to grow the system to 3200 watts.
                  Already purchase a Outback FLEXmax 80. It made more sense to go with a 48V system

Trust me what I recommend is less expensive than your idea. My way will work, your idea will fail in a week or less leaving you in the dark and all that money will be gone.
                  Thanks for the advice and recomendations

Comment

• lrseda
                    • Dec 2017

Originally posted by sensij

Simple MC4 Y-connectors can be used to make the parallel connections. A DC disconnect can be nice, but there isn't much reason to invest in more than that unless you expect to add more strings in the future (and want to design for that now).
                    The MC4 Y can be used to connect the two string in parallel (3s2p)

Definitely a DC Disconnect is on the list.

Thanks

Comment

• lrseda
                      • Dec 2017

Hi,

I have a debate with batteries

I have two 6 volt Deka 8L16 and as I mentioned before four more should arrive soon (or not that soon, I dont know where they are neither the store). In the store I brought the panels got this two batteries, GC10 6Volt 215 Ah and GC15 6volt 230 Ah in inventory and available. My question is, wish of the three will fit better to my system since I can sell the two 8L16. How many I need? Either way I need a maximum of 8 batteries if I go with a 48Volt.

Here is a image capture of my power usage

power calculator.jpg

Im still running on a 12Volt inverter as is what I got. I'm still looking for options between 24 to 48Volts as Sunking recommended.

Comment

• lrseda
                        • Dec 2017

Hi, anyone?

Forget about the batteries, the 6 Volt Deka 8L16 arrived. Also I got the Outback 80 CC. So here is what I got already installed and working. I have three of the panels in series to the outback getting 114volt @ 38voc and 8.13 Amps. The other three panels are still connected to one of the "mppt30" (fake) more a PWM. I'm stuck on this setup until I get the 48volt inverter. For batteries I install only 4 of them and leave the another 4 to wait for the new inverter. I got the in a 2s2p configuration for a total of 740AH.

I'm trying to setup the outback bulk - absorb - float parameters as per Deka recommends, see attached files. I don't understand the bulk charge recommendations or what calculation do to get the value. I set the absorb and float parameters to the Outback. Now, I was reading on Sunking post about batteries and get confuse on the setting. Should I follow per manufacture setting or do I try my owns setting following the guidance on the post?

Please comments and advice
                        Attached Files

Comment

• Suprasoup
                          • Oct 2017

bulk recommendations is calculated using the c/20 rating which is 370ah. 30% of 370 = 111. This is the maximum amps you want to charge your batteries with. The Outback limits the charge to 80a max anyway so dont worry about it unless you use a genni to charge your batteries.

You want to set your bulk=absorb=float since your system is used daily. Deka recommends 2.4-2.45vpc. Since you are still using a 12v configuration set it to between 14.4-14.7v. I would go straight to 14.7v based on experience I have using L16 batteries in the past.

As others will point out wiring your batteries in parallel is not ideal and you cut battery life by doing so. I understand the reasoning behind why you have to so my recommendation is to get the other 4 batteries you need and the 48v inverter and wire it up for 48v ASAP.

So correct me if i'm wrong you have 2 separate systems:

3 panels wired in series to a pwm controller charging 2-6v batteries wired in series.
                          3 panels wired in series to a Outback controller charging 4-6v batteries wired 2s2p. Is that correct?

Comment

• lrseda
                            • Dec 2017

Thanks for replay

You want to set your bulk=absorb=float since your system is used daily. Deka recommends 2.4-2.45vpc. Since you are still using a 12v configuration set it to between 14.4-14.7v. I would go straight to 14.7v based on experience I have using L16 batteries in the past.
                            If I set the Float to 14.7v, The outback wont let me put the absorb to 14.6v or do I set both to 14.7v?

As others will point out wiring your batteries in parallel is not ideal and you cut battery life by doing so. I understand the reasoning behind why you have to so my recommendation is to get the other 4 batteries you need and the 48v inverter and wire it up for 48v ASAP.
                            I got the 8 batteries already but only connect 4 of them still I got the 48Volt Inverter.

So correct me if i'm wrong you have 2 separate systems:

3 panels wired in series to a pwm controller charging 2-6v batteries wired in series.
                            3 panels wired in series to a Outback controller charging 4-6v batteries wired 2s2p. Is that correct?
                            Two separate system connected to the same battery bank

3 panels wired in parallel to the pwm controller to the same 4-6v batteries wired 2s2p

3 panels wired in series to the outback to the same 4-6v batteries wired 2s2p

This way until I get the 48v inverter

Do I have something to worry about?

Comment

• Suprasoup
                              • Oct 2017

[QUOTE=lrseda;n369948]Thanks for replay

If I set the Float to 14.7v, The outback wont let me put the absorb to 14.6v or do I set both to 14.7v?

Yes. Set bulk, absorb and float to 14.7v

I got the 8 batteries already but only connect 4 of them still I got the 48Volt Inverter.

So what are you doing with the other 4 batteries?

Two separate system connected to the same battery bank

3 panels wired in parallel to the pwm controller to the same 4-6v batteries wired 2s2p

3 panels wired in series to the outback to the same 4-6v batteries wired 2s2p

This way until I get the 48v inverter

Do I have something to worry about?

[/QUOTE

see bolded above]

Comment

Working...