X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • J.P.M.
    Solar Fanatic
    • Aug 2013

Originally posted by SunEagle

I would stay off the roads that have big rigs and speed limits exceeding 45mph. Less chance of getting run over or blown away from the side draft.
    Ever stood on a roof carrying a 4 X 8 sheet of OSB or plywood and a not too severe gust of wind happens by ?

Comment

• SunEagle
      Super Moderator
      • Oct 2012

Originally posted by J.P.M.

Ever stood on a roof carrying a 4 X 8 sheet of OSB or plywood and a not too severe gust of wind happens by ?
      Does the word Kite come to mind.

Comment

• J.P.M.
        Solar Fanatic
        • Aug 2013

Originally posted by SunEagle

Does the word Kite come to mind.
        Yea, I've done both kites and bikes a fair amount, but to me anyway, a solar array acting as a kite anchored to a bicycle sounds like an accident that hasn't happened yet.

Fun experiments - I get that - and probably started by cyclists who like solar with perhaps some of the driving force behind the eccentric conjunction being another reason to wear funny clothes with advertising all over them in public and block the road more, but seems the match of the two (bikes and solar) is one of the not-too-well thought out parts of the enterprise with respect to road safety or common sense considerations.

Kind of like hang gliding on Mt. Washington or surfing in a typhoon. What a ride huh ?

Come to think of it, how about solar powered surf boards that power you out and then you flip over for the return ride ? Another example of Americn knowhow at its finest.

Comment

• VeloSolaire
          • Apr 2017

The competition is only once every two years, but I bunch of people enter it. I think you are all right, going near high speed vehicle is not a good idea. On slower road, with high wind will be a problem. I might put the panel on folding base, soi if the pressure is over a certain amount, it will fold and reduce surface. I will have to take that into account.

Comment

• SunEagle
            Super Moderator
            • Oct 2012

Originally posted by VeloSolaire

The competition is only once every two years, but I bunch of people enter it. I think you are all right, going near high speed vehicle is not a good idea. On slower road, with high wind will be a problem. I might put the panel on folding base, soi if the pressure is over a certain amount, it will fold and reduce surface. I will have to take that into account.
            What ever design you decide on I wish you luck with your bike as well as staying safe when using it.

Comment

Working...