X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • VeloSolaire
    • Apr 2017

Originally posted by Amy@altE
    I was drawing a similar schematic, figured I'd whip up some options for you
    Wow Thank you. Yes I see it now. What would be the advantage to use three MPPT instead of one. Could it be because that way if each panel produce different power (one panel in the shade and the other in the sun) you could get the most of each... ?

Comment

• VeloSolaire
      • Apr 2017

here is the winning bike of 2015

2015- suntrip winning bike.png

Comment

• VeloSolaire
        • Apr 2017

here is the stat of it's daily production during the race and the distance it traveled.
        Usually between 2000 and 3000 wH per day.
        I will chose a bike with 3 wheels for stability.

2015- bernard-cauquil v

Comment

• J.P.M.
          Solar Fanatic
          • Aug 2013

Originally posted by VeloSolaire

Wonder what the average speed of the winner was.

Comment

• Amy@altE
            Solar Fanatic
            • Nov 2014

Wow Thank you. Yes I see it now. What would be the advantage to use three MPPT instead of one. Could it be because that way if each panel produce different power (one panel in the shade and the other in the sun) you could get the most of each... ?
            Bingo. Shade of one won't effect the output of others. Worst option for shade is panels wired in series into one charge controller. 2nd worst, Two wired in parallel into 1 charge controller. Best option, separate charge controller for each panel.
            Solar Queen
            altE Store

Comment

• VeloSolaire
              • Apr 2017

Originally posted by Amy@altE
              Best option, separate charge controller for each panel.
              Thank you.
              I am learning so much here. I am very happy. I am still have to think about total weight. Each one weight 290 gr (0.64 pound). Maybe two would be good.
              I will wait until I have an idea of all the weight I add then decide if I go with 2 or 4.

Comment

• VeloSolaire
                • Apr 2017

Originally posted by J.P.M.
                Wonder what the average speed of the winner was.
                Usually e-bike are limited at 32 km/hr but not overthrew it seem because he chose his different component for a speed around 42 km/hr (not sure, I have bad memory
                he says it was to maximize power transfert.

which is surprising to me because my current ebike goes far at 17 km/hr but not at 32. I have a friend how has an ebike with motor on the pedal axe (not sure how to say that in English) so by changing gear you can go faster. I went to 50 km/hr but battery was draining very fast at that speed.

Comment

• J.P.M.
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Aug 2013

Usually e-bike are limited at 32 km/hr but not overthrew it seem because he chose his different component for a speed around 42 km/hr (not sure, I have bad memory
                  he says it was to maximize power transfert.

which is surprising to me because my current ebike goes far at 17 km/hr but not at 32. I have a friend how has an ebike with motor on the pedal axe (not sure how to say that in English) so by changing gear you can go faster. I went to 50 km/hr but battery was draining very fast at that speed.

Thank you. Reason I asked: Referring to the photo, at those speeds, the wind shield that's shown might help keep bugs from impacting the rider's junk, but given the rest of the vehicle's configuration, it won't do much to increase range by how much it might reduce flow induced resistance to the atmosphere. Might even reduce sweat evap. and thus raise body temp. some. Just sayin'.

Comment

• bcroe
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Jan 2012

Thank you. Reason I asked: Referring to the photo, at those speeds, the wind shield that's shown might help keep bugs from impacting the rider's junk, but given the rest of the vehicle's configuration, it won't do much to increase range by how much it might reduce flow induced resistance to the atmosphere. Might even reduce sweat evap. and thus raise body temp. some. Just sayin'.
                    Air resistance goes up as the cube of velocity, so high speeds will tend to exhaust your battery. The actual cost
                    per mile goes up as the square, because you get there faster. Bruce Roe

Comment

• VeloSolaire
                      • Apr 2017

The racer used this tool to select his motor
                      Our ebike motor simulator allows you to easily simulate the different performance characteristics of different ebike setups - with a wide selection of hub motors modeled, and the ability to add custom batteries and controllers and set a wide variety of vehicle parameters you'll be able to see how factors such as throttle level, bike weight, hill grade and many more directly affect the performance of an ebike. You can even compare two different setups at a glance and at higher power levels and hill grades you'll even get an estimation of how long it would take the motor to overheat!

image_9161.png

Comment

• VeloSolaire
                        • Apr 2017

Originally posted by bcroe
                        Air resistance goes up as the cube of velocity, so high speeds will tend to exhaust your battery.
                        Yes but also motor efficiency has a impact
                        I have 2 bike. One with 360 Wh battery (Bike A) and one with 780 Wh (Bike B) every Saturday I go to the same place at 30 km from home,

With both bike I can reach the destination at 30 km/h and both are almost empty (by calculating charging time) even if B has twice the battery size.
                        At 17 km/h Bike A does not go that much further but bike B will go for almost 80 km.

Comment

• VeloSolaire
                          • Apr 2017

I read that in is first test, I did not saw big improvement with the shield but I think at the end, after tweak and more test, he decide to keep it. I will not used a shield. I am not doing a race, just travelling I yes fresh air might be good very I want to go.

Comment

• bcroe
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Jan 2012

Perhaps you could get more energy/reduce air friction by using cells with square corners and no wide
                            gaps between, and move that shadowing support to the underside (see a massage table). Bruce Roe

Comment

• J.P.M.
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Aug 2013

Originally posted by bcroe

Perhaps you could get more energy/reduce air friction by using cells with square corners and no wide
                              gaps between, and move that shadowing support to the underside (see a massage table). Bruce Roe
                              I'm not sure I'd feel too safe on a road w/other vehicle traffic and/or if there was any wind blowing, particularly if that wind was variable and had any gust factor to it. Passing big rigs come to mind as well. Not all wind vectors are horizontal.

Comment

• SunEagle
                                Super Moderator
                                • Oct 2012

I'm not sure I'd feel too safe on a road w/other vehicle traffic and/or if there was any wind blowing, particularly if that wind was variable and had any gust factor to it. Passing big rigs come to mind as well. Not all wind vectors are horizontal.
                                I would stay off the roads that have big rigs and speed limits exceeding 45mph. Less chance of getting run over or blown away from the side draft.

Comment

Working...