X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MPPT for Solar Bike

For my solarBike, i will probably use 3 or 4 100 watts panel like those
    https://www.amazon.com/HQST-Monocrys.../dp/B017OMTAV6
    I will use a least one 48 volts battery (1 kWh maybe)

Now I need a MPPT
    The lightest and smallest the better.

What characteristic should I be looking for
    to select a MPPT for my project.
    Thank you

If you are charging a 48V battery bank, I suggest using Genasun's Solar Boost for electric vehicles. Especially if you are only using 3 panels, that's nominal 36V trying to charge a 48V battery. Only a boosting charge controller can do that, most need the same or higher voltage. Not sure if your battery is lithium or lead, but they make a model for each. And they are waterproof. https://genasun.com/products-store/m...t-controllers/
    Solar Queen
    altE Store

Comment

Originally posted by Amy@altE View Post
      I suggest using Genasun's Solar Boost for electric vehicles. https://genasun.com/products-store/m...t-controllers/
      Great
      very light
      I forgot about waterproof. Very important
      i will use lithium battery. It is a bicycle with three wheel. I will use electricity mostly on hills to help me (and my knees).

Comment

Their GVB-8-Li-14.2V-WP can handle up to 350W of solar.
        Solar Queen
        altE Store

Comment

I don't see how that controller will work with the 3 panels.

It has a maximum amp input of 8 amps. Panels at 5.7 amps means you can not parallel them.

It has a max voltage VOC input of 60V. Panels are 21.7V VOC so you can only run 2 in series.

While it may be rated at 350 watts in 48V configuration it can only handle 200 watts if those are the panels you are going to use.

Comment

Good catch, I didn't see the max voltage in. Two 150W panels in series would be great.
            Solar Queen
            altE Store

Comment

Originally posted by Wy_White_Wolf View Post
              I don't see how that controller will work with the 3 panels.
              It has a maximum amp input of 8 amps. Panels at 5.7 amps means you can not parallel them.
              It has a max voltage VOC input of 60V. Panels are 21.7V VOC so you can only run 2 in series.
              While it may be rated at 350 watts in 48V configuration it can only handle 200 watts if those are the panels you are going to use.
              Before reading about mppt i though I would need to put enough 12 volts panel in series to get to 48 volts for my battery.
              now it seems the mppt can do part of the jobs to adjust it (up or down) ?

So what is the recepies I need to select my MMPT
              Look at one panel total output in max power, max current and max tension.
              decide if I need them in parallels or serial.
              calculate max output for each parameter
              Then check if there is a margin for each parameter In the mppt ?
              Then either change the panel arrangement or select another mppt

Comment

Originally posted by VeloSolaire View Post

Before reading about mppt i though I would need to put enough 12 volts panel in series to get to 48 volts for my battery.
                Why would you use 12 volt battery panels? They cost 2 to 6 times more than GT panels. Genasun does make a Boost Controller, but there is a trade-off in efficiency. They offer it for folks with Golf Carts who do not have the room (roof) for enough panels to get the panel voltage up to 70 volts. You loose the efficiency.

AS WWW pointed out the max input current is 8 amps and max input voltage Voc is 51 volts (40 volts Vmp) is a 320 watt limit. That 51 volt limit is a severe crutch. That forces you to use Expensive battery panels with no more than 2 in series if you want maximum power input . Perfect for a Golf Cart roof panel of 60 cells at 250 watts.They are physically the same dimensions.
                Last edited by Sunking; 04-22-2017, 09:19 PM.
                MSEE, PE

Comment

Originally posted by VeloSolaire View Post

Very few MPPT charge controllers will go up. Most will only go down. The Genasun I referred to is a special product specifically for this purpose.
                  Solar Queen
                  altE Store

Comment

Very few MPPT charge controllers will go up. Most will only go down. The Genasun I referred to is a special product specifically for this purpose.
                    And that would be a Golf Cart.
                    MSEE, PE

Comment

ok, thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Sunking View Post
                        They cost 2 to 6 times more than GT panels. .
                        do you have a link to those panel ?
                        I found this but could not find panel there
                        http://www.gtsolarpower.com
                        how much efficiency I would lose. ?

I want about 400 watts in the best condition. so I. think with that installation, I will get an average of 200 watts.
                        The bike must be able to hold such weight. The one that was proposed in another discussion seems perfect
                        https://www.amazon.com/HQST-Monocrys.../dp/B017OMTAV6

Comment

I suggest using Genasun's Solar Boost for electric vehicles.
                          I found info on the winning bike of the 2015 competition, he did use Genasun like you said !!! Great. But it seems he used 3 of them. Not sure hot to do connect it and how it would work.

​​​​​​​

2015- bernard-cauquil info-4 copy.png

Comment

Simple. 3 MPPT controller all connected to a common battery. In other words three solar panel systems connected to a common battery
                            MSEE, PE

Comment

I was drawing a similar schematic, figured I'd whip up some options for you
                              multiple cc 1 battery bank options.jpg I was
                              Solar Queen
                              altE Store

Comment

Working...
                              X