Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • John Galt 1
    • Dec 2016

Originally posted by Mike90250
    If you can run Grid power to the stand, for less than $20K, do it. Otherwise, panels, lights, batteries, security system to guard it, is going to cost you roughly $20K if you want to power a fridge too.
    ​Why do I keep seeing people claiming $20,000 cost to install solar on this site. The 1st solar system I built cost $1600 in materials ($1400 back then) and it ran my 10 cu/ft energy star chest freezer easily. One summer I used it to run a 5000 btu AC unit.4-5 hrs a day.
    490 watts in panels
    3 Trojan 12v batteries
    Tristar 45a MPPT controller
    1000 watt pure sine wave inverter
    Built the stand from 2x4s and it's currently running the small refridgerator at my business.

​My larger system has 5100 watts in panels on a Schletter ground mount,, a Conext XW 6848 inverter with Conext 80-600charge controller, PDP, SCP, battery monitor, , and a 790 amp 48v battery bank and cost $14,962.10 in parts after the federal tax credit. I did the installation myself and that's sure as heck a much larger system than the OP needs.

​I suspect the guy could build a decent system to run the cooler, efficient freezer, and some led lights for about $4800.
    $1703 24v 2000 watt pure sine wave inverter
    ​$433 TriStar 45a MPPT charge controller with temperature senor
    ​$1260 4 Crown 395 amp 6v L-16 batteries with water miser caps and delivery from distributer (I bought some a few months ago at this price)
    ​$400 wires with a few fuses
    ​$150 wood to build panel rack, battery box ect.
    ​$700 700 watts in panels (3 panels wired in series)
    ​$100 misc

​Build a platform under the panels using the rack legs and put the batteries and box containing the electronics under the panels for a tight compact little unit.

​Yes, with that inverter he may need to wait 1 minute between starting the fridge and freezer to avoid the start up surge tripping the inverter and he would need fairly efficient coolers. Heck, he'd probably be able to apply for the tax credit reducing the price to about $3400. Add another $250 for conduit, a switch box, and stickers and the system could probably be built to code.
    Last edited by John Galt 1; 12-03-2016, 10:21 PM.

Comment

• John Galt 1
      • Dec 2016

Originally posted by Delkancott
      Thanks for the replies everyone.

In terms of cashflow, the farm stand does well, but I had no idea I'd be looking over $10,000 to get solar for a efficient fridge and freezer..
      ​I bought this 10 cu/ft freezer for $319 six months ago. It uses .75 kwh a day http://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-10-6-c...72refrigerator
      Energy star18 cu/ft refrigerator only, no freezer uses about 1 kw/hr a day. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Whirlpool...18FW/206891678
      ​But if all you are using the refrigerator for is a single item like eggs that can be stacked I'd conceder getting another chest freezer and use an Inkbird controller (about $35) to turn the freezer into a super high efficiency top opening refrigerator. That way with the door opening so much you'd not be letting the cold air spill out and the freezer costs about half what the refrigerator costs.

Comment

• John Galt 1
        • Dec 2016

In terms of cashflow, the farm stand does well, but I had no idea I'd be looking over $10,000 to get solar for a efficient fridge and freezer..
        Get two of these freezers. http://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-10-6-c...PHWW/205443672 I bought one 6 months ago on sale for $320 but had to pay for delivery. They use about .75 kwh/day.

Use one for your freezer.

​Buy an Inkbird temperature controller and use it to turn the second freezer into a refrigerator. https://www.amazon.com/Inkbird-Pre-W...ure+controller about $33.

​Since you can stack the egg crates they will stack easily in this freezer holding tons of eggs and since it's now a chest refrigerator you won't spill out all of your cold air every time someone opens it.

Comment

• John Galt 1
          • Dec 2016

Get two of these freezers. http://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-10-6-c...PHWW/205443672 I bought one 6 months ago on sale for $320 but had to pay for delivery. They use about .75 kwh/day.

​Buy an Inkbird temperature controller and use it to turn the second freezer into a refrigerator. https://www.amazon.com/Inkbird-Pre-W...ure+controller about $33.

​Since you can stack the egg crates they will stack easily in this freezer holding tons of eggs and since it's now a chest refrigerator you won't spill out all of your cold air every time someone opens it.

Comment

• John Galt 1
            • Dec 2016

The eggs do need to be refrigerated per Board of Health if we're selling them. Additionally, we're looking to market frozen meat so there's that too.

In terms of cashflow, the farm stand does well, but I had no idea I'd be looking over $10,000 to get solar for a efficient fridge and freezer. We are close to the grid (50') so I guess that's the way to go, I just figured I'd rather have one less bill.

And it's in southern Mass.
            Go to home Depot and get two Energy Star 10.3 cu/ft freezers ($399). They use about .75 kwh/day. Use one for your freezer. Connect an InkBird temperate controller ($32) to the other freezer turning it into a energy efficient chest refrigerator that you can easily stack eggs in. Since it's a chest type fridge your cold air won't spill out every time you open it. There is no need to pay $10,000 for equipment like this.

Comment

• KMac
              • Apr 2016

Originally posted by John Galt 1

​Why do I keep seeing people claiming $20,000 cost to install solar on this site. The 1st solar system I built cost $1600 in materials ($1400 back then) and it ran my 10 cu/ft energy star chest freezer easily. One summer I used it to run a 5000 btu AC unit.4-5 hrs a day.
              490 watts in panels
              3 Trojan 12v batteries
              Tristar 45a MPPT controller
              1000 watt pure sine wave inverter
              Built the stand from 2x4s and it's currently running the small refridgerator at my business.

​My larger system has 5100 watts in panels on a Schletter ground mount,, a Conext XW 6848 inverter with Conext 80-600charge controller, PDP, SCP, battery monitor, , and a 790 amp 48v battery bank and cost $14,962.10 in parts after the federal tax credit. I did the installation myself and that's sure as heck a much larger system than the OP needs.

​I suspect the guy could build a decent system to run the cooler, efficient freezer, and some led lights for about $4800.
              $1703 24v 2000 watt pure sine wave inverter
              ​$433 TriStar 45a MPPT charge controller with temperature senor
              ​$1260 4 Crown 395 amp 6v L-16 batteries with water miser caps and delivery from distributer (I bought some a few months ago at this price)
              ​$400 wires with a few fuses
              ​$150 wood to build panel rack, battery box ect.
              ​$700 700 watts in panels (3 panels wired in series)
              ​$100 misc

​Build a platform under the panels using the rack legs and put the batteries and box containing the electronics under the panels for a tight compact little unit.

​Yes, with that inverter he may need to wait 1 minute between starting the fridge and freezer to avoid the start up surge tripping the inverter and he would need fairly efficient coolers. Heck, he'd probably be able to apply for the tax credit reducing the price to about $3400. Add another $250 for conduit, a switch box, and stickers and the system could probably be built to code.
              What is this? Facts to help answer the OP's question? Hmm, I wasn't sure that was allowed here. . .

Comment

• Mike90250
                • May 2009

Originally posted by KMac
                What is this? Facts to help answer the OP's question? Hmm, I wasn't sure that was allowed here. . .
                Ha! Facts are not as dangerous as showing how to cut the tops off batteries and add some acid to get them working (and it didn't work in another thread)
                But who is John Galt Prices can vary according to the level of skill and resources. I'm not sure I would want to use wood instead of steel for the structure, my site is sopping wet for 6 months of the year, wood does not last long

Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• Sunking
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Feb 2010

Because we are professionals, not DIY exercising poor judgement who does not know 5th grade math.

You cannot compere your usage to a commercial operations. Opening your fridge door once a day does not compare to opening 100 to 200 times a day. You cannot even use a consumer grade fridge in a commercial operation as it does not have the cooling capacity to handle the doors being opened constantly.

Lastly it is plain stupid taking anything off grid if you have commercial utility power available. It is one thing for a ignorant home owner to go off grid, but completely different for a biz where a money talks and pays bills. You do not throw money away on a loosing operation. Paying 5 to 10 times more for power is not smart biz. That cost has to be added to what your are selling. Very hard to sell apples for $1 when your competition across the street sells them for a 25-cents. That would be a perfect plan for failure and bankruptcy. Let ignorant home owners make that mistake.
                  Last edited by Sunking; 12-04-2016, 01:12 PM.
                  MSEE, PE

Comment

• John Galt 1
                    • Dec 2016

Originally posted by Sunking

Because we are professionals, not DIY exercising poor judgement who does not know 5th grade math.

You cannot compere your usage to a commercial operations. Opening your fridge door once a day does not compare to opening 100 to 200 times a day. You cannot even use a consumer grade fridge in a commercial operation as it does not have the cooling capacity to handle the doors being opened constantly.

Lastly it is plain stupid taking anything off grid if you have commercial utility power available. It is one thing for a ignorant home owner to go off grid, but completely different for a biz where a money talks and pays bills. You do not throw money away on a loosing operation. Paying 5 to 10 times more for power is not smart biz. That cost has to be added to what your are selling. Very hard to sell apples for $1 when your competition across the street sells them for a 25-cents. That would be a perfect plan for failure and bankruptcy. Let ignorant home owners make that mistake.
                    Gee, By the tone of your reply I guess you're having a bad day.

​I look at solar as a hobby that will almost pay for itself. Do you have any hobbies that cost you a bit of cash? And when the power goes out here; which is does for 1-3 days a couple times a year (5 days straight 3 years ago) where I live, I don't even notice anymore until I go down to my business and the lights don't turn on.

​Did you read my suggestion that the OP use an Inkbird to convert a chest freezer into a refrigerator so the cold air doesn't spill out?

By your posts I can only assume you are a professional in the Solar business yet I've noticed in your posts that you seem to believe that adding solar is a stupid choice. Seems like a strange attitude for a solar professional.

​How about I go my way and you go yours and we agree to disagree?

Comment

• John Galt 1
                      • Dec 2016

Originally posted by Mike90250

Ha! Facts are not as dangerous as showing how to cut the tops off batteries and add some acid to get them working (and it didn't work in another thread)
                      But who is John Galt Prices can vary according to the level of skill and resources. I'm not sure I would want to use wood instead of steel for the structure, my site is sopping wet for 6 months of the year, wood does not last long
                      ​I agree that wood isn't the best choice but for a farm stand the wood rack will last 10+ years. I used wood for the smaller system I listed earlier and as someone who builds outdoor stuff out of wood I'm comfortable in that 10+ year lifespan and if built well can last over 20 years.

Comment

• Sunking
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Feb 2010

By your posts I can only assume you are a professional in the Solar business
                        No sir, have little to do with Solar. I build the best solutions for commercial clients mostly Telecom, government, and even Wally World. Well over 200 off-grid systems for remote cell towers, and a few large grid tied systems for Wally World. I represent my clients best interest and no industry. My customers get the best solution that fits their needs. Solar is a last ditch effort where no other solution is availble like commercial power miles away. Very foolish to take anything off-grid in the. Economics suck

FWIW IMHO living Off-Grid is not a Hobby, it is a major downgrade in lifestyle and a huge unnecessary expense I would not wish on anyone. I will help anyone going off-grid. Done it more than 10,000 times here. I just make sure they know what they are asking for first. Once they understand the expense and hassle, thank me for waking them up to realities.
                        Last edited by Sunking; 12-04-2016, 04:30 PM.
                        MSEE, PE

Comment

• John Galt 1
                          • Dec 2016

I don't think living off the grid is too much of a hardship, but then I don't bother with a facebook account either. And since I'm at the end of the power line solar provides a more secure power source. I used to tinker on cars and bikes, now I tinker on the property and solar system.

Comment

• Wy_White_Wolf
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Oct 2011

75kwh a day in a climate controlled environment like your house. I have one of these in my shop that isn't climate controlled much like his farmstand. Hot day in the summer it uses close to twice that. He will also need to check into food regulations. I tried setting up a freezer on a Johnson controller like you suggested off a battery system for farmers market sales. TPTB wouldn't accept it as a continuous power source that they require.

As I stated earlier it would run between $2500 to $3500 per kwh daily to take something off grid. Even you figures at ~$4700 and 2 of these totaling 1.5kwh falls in that range.

Another big consideration he has is lighting that he will not have control of. Customers are notorious for leaving lights on. I sure wouldn't want to run down there after every customer to turn them off. So he also needs to look at something like motion activated lighting.

Comment

• Wy_White_Wolf
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Oct 2011

I have one close to that that does use .75kwh in a climate controlled environment like the house. But living out in the garage it uses close to double that on hot summer days. TPTB might have problems with the Johnson controller. I tried setting one up on a battery bank for a farmers market setup. They would not accept it as the required continuous power supply for selling eggs. Even with the controller the battery setup would not pass for selling meat. With the battery they required a generator with auto start as a backup system. That's an expense no one has mentioned.

He also needs to look a little further into the lighting. With customers he can't control it's usage. Many, if not most, will leave the lights on when they leave. I wouldn't want to run down there after every customer to turn them off. So either he plans the system for 24 hour lighting or works out an automated control system. Motion detectors might work if he uses DC lighting.

Your estimate of $4700 for a 1.5kwh system falls right in the range of $2500 to $3500 per kwh that I provided earlier. But I really dought that his usage will be that small or TPTB will accept it.

Comment

Working...