Grid tied inverters in off grid configuration.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jflorey2
    Solar Fanatic
    • Aug 2015

Originally posted by SIGP2101
    Reason why I am asking this is because there are so many more available to chose from in 36V DC world than in off grid 36V DC world.
    There is very little available in 36 volt world when it comes to equipment designed to operate off a 36 volt battery bus. About the only common systems out there that use 36 volts are small vehicles (ebikes, golf carts etc.) 12-24-48 volt is far more common.
    Second reason is that some of the grid tie type of inverters by default can run on a range of voltages(22 to 60V). This would also have positive impact to flexibility of my off grid system. 24-36-48 volts battery banks for example.
    Solar panel voltage doesn't have much to do with what voltage you run your battery at any more. With the advent of cheap MPPT charge controllers, you choose your battery voltage by what loads the battery bank will see. 12 volts for small RV, backup or camping systems, 48 volts for serious home-sized systems.

"Grid tie type" inverters cannot be used to power AC loads from a DC battery, in any case.

Comment

• organic farmer
      Solar Fanatic
      • Dec 2013

Originally posted by littleharbor
      ... You will never save enough in electric bills to compensate for the cost of said equipment.
      I will never save enough in electric bills to compensate for the cost of my equipment, either.

Very few people can make electricity for as cheap as you can buy it.
      4400w, Midnite Classic 150 charge-controller.

Comment

• organic farmer
        Solar Fanatic
        • Dec 2013

Originally posted by SIGP2101

So hybrid inverter is solution - what ever that thing may be. My feeling is that you are referring to inverter/charger type of inverters. Search is on.

Thanks!
        My E-panel takes power from photo-voltaic panels, or from the grid, to charge my battery-bank, and to run an inverter, which powers our house.

We are tied to the grid, but as 'grid-assist' instead of 'net-metering'.
        4400w, Midnite Classic 150 charge-controller.

Comment

• Mike90250
          • May 2009

Just to clear up a couple of terms being used

Grid Tie inverter. Special inverter fed by PV panels to back feed the grid. Must meet UL 1741 spec, disconnect if loss of Grid, impedance test of Grid. Pure sine
          Hybrid Inverter. Even more special, often has dual AC inputs, 1=Grid, 2=Generator Meets UL 1741 also, to safely backfeed the Grid Runs of batteries. pure sine
          Inverter / Charger simply uses grid to charge batteries with. Cannot backfeed or sync to grid. Often 12V for use in Camper vehicles. can be pure or mod sine wave
          Plug-In GT inverter. OMG ! these never carry a valid UL 1741, seldom are efficient, and can easily start a fire. Fed by PV panels
          MPPT Multi Point Power Tracking a way to electrically match PV panel to the load for most efficiency, MPPT generally should not be fed from batteries,

I am seeing a lot of I want to use ABC and then describe DFG and there is much confusion happening.
          Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
          || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
          || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
          gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• Sunking
            Solar Fanatic
            • Feb 2010

Someone is very confused. Does not know what type of Inverter is used and does. Wished I were in sales like Amy. That is a Pigeon waiting to be plucked.
            MSEE, PE

Comment

• Simon Masters
              • May 2018

I find that if you ask a question, you often and get labelled as confused by "experts". Important to stay safe, comply with regs and judge quality and practicalities.
              I am going to wade in with an "Update as of June 2018", mindful that many engineers make their living by adding value to expensive manufactured products.

eBay and Banggood search this morning reveals:
              (1) Modified sine wave inverters, 5kW peak, costs just

Comment

• SunEagle
                Super Moderator
                • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Simon Masters
                I find that if you ask a question, you often and get labelled as confused by "experts". Important to stay safe, comply with regs and judge quality and practicalities.
                I am going to wade in with an "Update as of June 2018", mindful that many engineers make their living by adding value to expensive manufactured products.

This thread is over 2 years old so are you posting to provide information or just to get your feet in the door?

Comment

• Sunking
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Feb 2010

Originally posted by Simon Masters

Houston we have a SPAMMER.

MSEE, PE

Comment

Working...