Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Flagbag
    • Jan 2016

What size battery cables?

With all the voltage drop calculators and discussions of wire size in these great forums I still can't figure-out how to 'figure-out' what size cables should be used in the battery bank. I have twelve 6V golf-cart batteries, in series/parallel for a 12V system (diagram and further info below).

What size cable to go from one battery terminal to another? The average length of cable from one terminal to the next is about 13inches. The length of cable from the CC to the batteries is 70inches. The cables from the batteries to thew inverter is 30inches.

Any guidance appreciated.

Batteries: 12 Energizer GC2 107 (208Ah each) 6V*208Ah*12V=14.9kWh
    Panels: Imp 45A (Isc 49A) 12V
    Charge Controller: Xantrex C60 Charge Controller
    Inverter: Xantrex Freedom 458 Inverter
    Inverter Mode:
    Input 12V DC 200 Amp at rated output
    Output 120 VAC 60Hz 2000 VA continuous
    Load is 3500KW/Day general household including 10cf refrigerator, lighting, tv, etc.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.
  • solar pete
    Administrator
    • May 2014

Howdy Flagbag, I am no battery expert, but Igota say I dont understand why you are running a 12v system with those specs.

Comment

• Logan005
      Solar Fanatic
      • Nov 2015

You have the batteries needed to run a 48 volt system, why are you considering running a 12 volt system?
      4X Suniva 250 watt, 8X t-105, OB Fx80, dc4812vrf

Comment

• Logan005
        Solar Fanatic
        • Nov 2015

I would configure those batteries as, 8 in series for a 48 volt bank to run an inverter from, and another 4 in series for a 24 volt system to power a 24 volt chest type refrigerator. The less you actually need the inverter the better. a 12 volt inverter is a dangerous toy.
        4X Suniva 250 watt, 8X t-105, OB Fx80, dc4812vrf

Comment

• Mike90250
          • May 2009

In my .sig is a link to a spreadsheet with a great cable length sizer.
          BUT, first you determine what amps are going through the cable, and you use a Wire Gauge Look-Up chart, to see what the smallest wire is that can be used safely for Power Transmission. http://www.powerstream.com/Wire_Size.htm
          200A needs at least OOO (triple ought cable, 0.4096" di.) for safety, the spreadsheet will tell you what gauge you need to keep voltage loss below 3% for the length your run is,
          Good luck, you are also going to need a large hydraulic cable crimper to put lugs on that cable
          Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
          || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
          || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
          gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• Flagbag
            • Jan 2016

Originally posted by Logan005
            You have the batteries needed to run a 48 volt system, why are you considering running a 12 volt system?
            It is an existing system that has been operating for years. I am trying to just improve it and make it safe with a limited budget.

Comment

• Flagbag
              • Jan 2016

Originally posted by solar pete
              Howdy Flagbag, I am no battery expert, but Igota say I dont understand why you are running a 12v system with those specs.
              Solar Pete. I seriously considered changing to a 24V system... please see and PLEASE HELP my topic (https://www.solarpaneltalk.com/forum...battery-system).

Comment

• Flagbag
                • Jan 2016

Originally posted by Logan005
                I would configure those batteries as, 8 in series for a 48 volt bank to run an inverter from, and another 4 in series for a 24 volt system to power a 24 volt chest type refrigerator. The less you actually need the inverter the better. a 12 volt inverter is a dangerous toy.
                I would like to learn more about what you mean about a 12V inverter is dangerous. It is in this system here built by my late step-father. Could you, or someone, please elaborate?

Comment

• Flagbag
                  • Jan 2016

Originally posted by Mike90250
                  In my .sig is a link to a spreadsheet with a great cable length sizer.
                  BUT, first you determine what amps are going through the cable, and you use a Wire Gauge Look-Up chart, to see what the smallest wire is that can be used safely for Power Transmission. http://www.powerstream.com/Wire_Size.htm
                  200A needs at least OOO (triple ought cable, 0.4096" di.) for safety, the spreadsheet will tell you what gauge you need to keep voltage loss below 3% for the length your run is,
                  Good luck, you are also going to need a large hydraulic cable crimper to put lugs on that cable

Thank-you Mike90250... I see the calculators that you mention but don't know how many amps ARE going through the cables in this system. The inverter has a max of 200A, do I use that number, or??

Comment

• Mike90250
                    • May 2009

OK, I looked at your other thread, and the panels you listed, add up to a bit over 40A So with a PWM controller at 12V, a 400ah battery is about the normal limit.
                    Originally posted by Flagbag

Pm Vmp Voc Imp Isc
                    Panel #1 100W 17.5V 21V 5.71A 6.4A
                    Panel #2 100W 17.5V 21V 5.71A 6.4A
                    Panel #3 205W 18.4V 22.8 11.15A 12.1A
                    Panel #4 205W 18.4V 22.8 11.15A 12.1A
                    Panel #5 205W 18.4V 22.8 11.15A 12.1A
                    The issue with 12V systems, once they grow just a little bit, is the current density in the conductors. It takes a lot of copper and good cable terminations to prevent heating and meltdown in the wiring, And some of the 12V inverters are not well made, and at high power levels, they fail or sometimes have burned,

The easy solution is see, with the panels you have, is a new 24V inverter, and rewire some panels. The C60 is PWM charge controller, well built and rugged. It can manage a 24V system.
                    The panel rewire would be
                    Parallel the two 100W panels to effectively make them into a 200W panel. This would closely match the other 3 205w panels. You now have effectively, 4 - 200W panels (give or take)
                    Wire 2 in series, and then the other 2 in series. Then take and parallel the 2 series strings:
                    -100+
                    -100+ making this into a 200W panel then:

-200+ -205+
                    -205+ -205+

2 panels in series and then parallel. The panel volts and amps are all pretty close, and will not have much loss, You now have 20A @ 24V for charging a 200ah 24V bank, which is simply 4 golf cart batteries in series. (6V, 200ah each golf cart battery) upgrade to a MPPT controller like the Midnight KID and you can get a couple more amps out of the PV array.
                    Expect 2-4 years life on the golf cart battery, unless you are really loading them hard. Adding more batteries will not properly charge them, and their life will still suffer.

Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

Comment

• Flagbag
                      • Jan 2016

Originally posted by Mike90250
                      OK, I looked at your other thread, and the panels you listed, add up to a bit over 40A So with a PWM controller at 12V, a 400ah battery is about the normal limit.

The issue with 12V systems, once they grow just a little bit, is the current density in the conductors. It takes a lot of copper and good cable terminations to prevent heating and meltdown in the wiring, And some of the 12V inverters are not well made, and at high power levels, they fail or sometimes have burned,

The easy solution is see, with the panels you have, is a new 24V inverter, and rewire some panels. The C60 is PWM charge controller, well built and rugged. It can manage a 24V system.
                      The panel rewire would be
                      Parallel the two 100W panels to effectively make them into a 200W panel. This would closely match the other 3 205w panels. You now have effectively, 4 - 200W panels (give or take)
                      Wire 2 in series, and then the other 2 in series. Then take and parallel the 2 series strings:
                      -100+
                      -100+ making this into a 200W panel then:

-200+ -205+
                      -205+ -205+

2 panels in series and then parallel. The panel volts and amps are all pretty close, and will not have much loss, You now have 20A @ 24V for charging a 200ah 24V bank, which is simply 4 golf cart batteries in series. (6V, 200ah each golf cart battery) upgrade to a MPPT controller like the Midnight KID and you can get a couple more amps out of the PV array.
                      Expect 2-4 years life on the golf cart battery, unless you are really loading them hard. Adding more batteries will not properly charge them, and their life will still suffer.

Mike--I really appreciate your time and analysis of this syestemm!
                      Now wondering won't I loose too much storage capacity? I mean, now we have twelve 6V Golf cart batteries if we drop to just four that is only one third of our current storage? We probably use 3-4kWh/day...?

Comment

• inetdog
                        Super Moderator
                        • May 2012

Now wondering won't I loose too much storage capacity? I mean, now we have twelve 6V Golf cart batteries if we drop to just four that is only one third of our current storage? We probably use 3-4kWh/day...?
                        It does not help to have a very large battery bank if you do not have the panels needed to charge it.
                        SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• Mike90250
                          • May 2009

And that's why you have 12 dieing batteries. To recharge / harvest that much in winter, with only 3 or 4 good sun hours, you should have 3x as much solar panels as you have. There is no way you keep that many batteries healthy with that small of a PV system. You could run a small generator for an hour every other day in winter (got to have one anyway for the cloudy days anyway) and that would keep overloaded batteries charged a bit better. You just can't use more power than your harvest, or you never get the batteries charged fully in the short winter months. Even in summer with 5 hours of good sun (usable solar hours, not dawn to dusk), your current array is undersized,
                          I think you need to take a close look at your loads and maybe measure some of them with a kill-a-watt meter (about $20 on amazon) to see what you need to design for. Just "throwing" batteries into the system is not going to help, except the fellow selling the batteries to you,

Comment

• Sunking
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Feb 2010

It is an existing system that has been operating for years. I am trying to just improve it and make it safe with a limited budget.
                            12 volts is anything but safe or inexpensive.
                            MSEE, PE

Comment

Working...