2000k system only puts out 500 watt why?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • charles2,david000k
    Solar Fanatic
    • Oct 2015

Originally posted by inetdog
    And trying to put through 60A on the 10A range will blow an internal fuse.
    Once the fuse is blown it is not at all clear what if anything the meter is measuring if one tries to use that range.
    Photo_00031.jpg

Meter set to DC current with black wire in com port and red in well whatever that port is called. But with my meter set like it shows in the photo I then take my black to - feed bar in combiner box and red to + feed in combiner box and it read 64 amp on set up. I got a mess load of old DC power supply just through in a box do you think I could test my meter by trying to take a reading from one of them? I opened the meter up again today to check the board inside for burnt connections the only thing on the entire board I could find that looks odd is some bubbling on the 300mA port but nothing that would break through the green shellac finish and no breaks in the electrical pathways on the computer board. The buble spot feels solid though I am thinking it could just be to much solder on that spot before the manufactur shellac the board.

Comment

• jflorey2
      Solar Fanatic
      • Aug 2015

Originally posted by charles2,david000k
      Meter set to DC current with black wire in com port and red in well whatever that port is called. But with my meter set like it shows in the photo I then take my black to - feed bar in combiner box and red to + feed in combiner box and it read 64 amp on set up.
      You blew the fuse in the meter and the readings are now nonsensical.

Might want to look into a mode called HBX. A few inverters support this mode. It uses battery power first, then transfers back to AC in when they get too low. This allows you to use mostly solar power and minimize utility use.

Comment

• jflorey2
        Solar Fanatic
        • Aug 2015

Originally posted by inetdog
        You do need a dump load if your hybrid inverter is there just to integrate with a generator and there is no grid connection. The OP stated, I believe, that there is no grid connection at this time.
        I don't think he does. He said "The charge controller I use now will rapidly turn on and off until the bank is fully charged then stays off until bank voltage falls to 23.9 before charging start over again." That tells me he has a PWM charge controller connected conventionally, to interrupt the connection between the solar array and the battery. In that case he does not need a separate dump load.

(If he had an AC-coupled system that regularly went off-grid, then he might need a dump load to deal with the excess - but that doesn't sound like it's the case.)

Comment

• inetdog
          Super Moderator
          • May 2012

Meter set to DC current with black wire in com port and red in well whatever that port is called. But with my meter set like it shows in the photo I then take my black to - feed bar in combiner box and red to + feed in combiner box and it read 64 amp on set up.
          It is all but impossible to read the meter information from that photo.
          Most if not all multimeters have a separate, third, jack to which the red lead is connected just for high amp measurements. (e.g. 10A range).
          If you leave it connected to the normal Volt-ohm-milliamp connection point you CANNOT use the 10A range even when you select it on the range switch. Instead you will blow the lower current milliamp range shunt fuse.
          And with the fuses blown you will probably be measuring voltage more than anything else, in other words something proportional to Voc.
          If you do not read the meter instructions carefully, you can literally have it blow up in your hand. You were lucky.
          That meter is now toast for all but volt and ohm measurement until you have replaced the fuses or the meter, whichever is cheaper.
          SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• sensij
            Solar Fanatic
            • Sep 2014

Originally posted by jflorey2
            I don't think he does. He said "The charge controller I use now will rapidly turn on and off until the bank is fully charged then stays off until bank voltage falls to 23.9 before charging start over again." That tells me he has a PWM charge controller connected conventionally, to interrupt the connection between the solar array and the battery. In that case he does not need a separate dump load.

(If he had an AC-coupled system that regularly went off-grid, then he might need a dump load to deal with the excess - but that doesn't sound like it's the case.)
            There is not a typical PWM or MPPT CC in this system. It is a slow on/off mechanical relay that is performing coarse PWM-like control at charge voltage.

I think the definition of "rapidly" is subject to interpretation. The relay is NC, powering open the battery charge circuit (and diverting, if a dump load circuit is connected) once 28.8 V is reached and closing battery circuit again once 27.2 V is hit. There are incrementally increasing timers on each state change on the order of 5 seconds (user adjustable) to prevent relay chatter, and help prevent overcharging, but it will force the duty cycle lower than what I think a good PWM would support (something like 5 sec charge / 20 sec divert looks like a likely outcome with default settings if there is sufficient charge current). I think the slow switching rate is generally wasteful of the energy that would be available during the adsorb stage.
            CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

Comment

• jflorey2
              Solar Fanatic
              • Aug 2015

Originally posted by sensij
              There is not a typical PWM or MPPT CC in this system. It is a slow on/off mechanical relay that is performing coarse PWM-like control at charge voltage.
              I thought so too but he said that the dump load (i.e. the solenoid/relay) was broken:

"No heating elements. The solenoid put the panels into float mode when voltage reaches a certain preset voltage. I pulled the old one apart and you could see where the contacts stuck. I tried to clean up the contacts but the wire coil had burnt up also and I have never rewrapped a coil I would lose count of my turns but I have the basic ideal."

If the system is still working at all he has to have a working charge controller _somewhere._ And given that he claims that his controller disconnects the array - "The charge controller I use now will rapidly turn on and off until the bank is fully charged then stays off until bank voltage falls to 23.9" - I assume it's a more standard type.

This would all be a lot simpler with a few pictures or accurate drawing of the system. (The original drawing has nothing other than a diversion load, and has two wind turbines.)

Comment

• sensij
                Solar Fanatic
                • Sep 2014

I thought so too but he said that the dump load (i.e. the solenoid/relay) was broken:

"No heating elements. The solenoid put the panels into float mode when voltage reaches a certain preset voltage. I pulled the old one apart and you could see where the contacts stuck. I tried to clean up the contacts but the wire coil had burnt up also and I have never rewrapped a coil I would lose count of my turns but I have the basic ideal."
                Without a dump load, when the divert relay actuates, the PV circuit is just open, which shouldn't hurt anything.

Maybe now after reading about MPPT controllers, and hopefully more about the charge cycle in general, he would describe it differently. It never "changes modes" to maintain a float voltage of 27.2. It has a single mode that always allows the voltage to swing between 27.2 and 28.8 on a timer, so it is always swinging back and forth between float and absorb, if the charge current is available. The timer increments to help push the cycle time toward floating when the battery is truly approaching charged, but it is very coarse.

As for failure analysis... a burned up battery makes sense from what he's said. I read that as the solenoid wire had burnt, preventing it from ever actuating and opening the battery charge circuit, allowing the battery voltage to be driven too high. He's got 2000 W of panels, on a good day maybe spiking 70 A of current into a full 70 Ah battery.

Comment

• charles2,david000k
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Oct 2015

That's the same issue a PWM controller has. They are either on or off; nothing in between. But by turning them on and off somewhat rapidly you can get an approximation of the correct voltage.
                  It rapidly turns on and off with it getting further apart as the battery get closer to being completely charged.

This next part is directly from the manual

This is the relay activity timer (RAT). Relay activity timer starts
                  countdown every time the relay turns off. The RAT time period is preset at 5 seconds. Explanation: Assuming the RAT is 005 (5 seconds), when the
                  relay has activity (turns on then off) the RAT will immediately start a countdown from 5 to 0 seconds. If the relay turns on again before the countdown
                  reaches 0 the relay will stay on for 10 seconds then relay off and RAT countdown starts from 5 to 0 seconds again, if relay turns on again before
                  countdown reaches 0 the relay will stay on for 20 seconds then relay off and RAT countdown starts from 5 to 0 seconds again, if relay does not turn on
                  again before RAT countdown reaches 0 then the next time the relay turns on again it will be on for 5 seconds. The relay must turn on again before the
                  RAT time reaches 0 otherwise the relays on time will stay at 5 seconds. The RAT's purpose is to hold the controller in divert for an increasing amount
                  of time because your controller is repeatedly diverting within a short period of time i.e. batteries nearing full. Referring to the example above, 20
                  seconds is the maximum amount of time the relay will stay on if the conditions continue to be met. If you change the RAT (the second set of 3 digits) to
                  20 seconds (020 on display) then relay on time will be 20 sec, 40 sec, 80 sec, 80 sec, 80 sec.... In most systems there is no need to change the RAT.

The only setting I have ever changed was voltage on23.9/off27.0 set points and the display on/off because I like to be able to see the battery voltage when walking by without having to touch

Comment

• sensij
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Sep 2014

The only setting I have ever changed was voltage on23.9/off27.0 set points and the display on/off because I like to be able to see the battery voltage when walking by without having to touch
                    Those voltage settings make no sense. Where did you come up with them? Among other things, the ON voltage needs to be higher than the OFF voltage for anything close to proper functioning. The ON voltage is the voltage at which the divert relay actuates, removing charging power from the batteries (and diverting it, if you had a dump load). the OFF voltage is the voltage to which the batteries need to fall before the relay turns off and charging power is connected to them again.

When you go to the P-3 setting, you should see live voltage first, high voltage (ON voltage) next, and the low voltage (OFF voltage) last. (Unless maybe the ONL setting got changed to ONH, which reverses the action of the relay)

Comment

• charles2,david000k
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Oct 2015

Originally posted by Mike90250
                      Yes, I have had 2 of those (first one stopped working) and they are pretty good for the price, the next better one for DC is quite expensive.
                      Ya I was looking at the next grade up on that meter also but really don't want to invest that kind of money into something that I could end up killing because I am still learning. Is the warranty any good?

Comment

• charles2,david000k
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Oct 2015

Woah there; you don't need a dump load if you have a hybrid inverter. You program the inverter to sell back to the load when X happens. X is usually "voltage over sell limit" which works well with most battery systems.

So you are paying .08 cents a kilowatt-hour for storage. How much will the same amount of battery cost you over the lifetime of your system? A T105 can be cycled ~500 times to 50% without serious degradation, which means you can get .6kwhr 500 times for about $100. Sounds like that would cost you around .33 cents for the same service from a (cheap) battery Even if you can get to 1000 cycles you are still at .16 cents per kwhr.

Sounds like your battery is ripping you off, compared to the utility!
                        Nope No hybrid inverter getting it and looking over it I would say it was made for motor home or cabin. I just think it should be at least a even trade for Kwh it would push more people to put up pv and green power we do get saving on our power bill but there is alway upkeep on any system. Yes batteries are expensive but there are people working every day to better that technology. Just wish it was sooner than later. I had the thought of a dumpload feed hydrogen generator feed into a giant tank for holding then refeed that to a geny. But that's just a thought.
                        Last edited by charles2,david000k; 10-28-2015, 12:38 PM. Reason: inverter info added

Comment

• charles2,david000k
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Oct 2015

You blew the fuse in the meter and the readings are now nonsensical.

Might want to look into a mode called HBX. A few inverters support this mode. It uses battery power first, then transfers back to AC in when they get too low. This allows you to use mostly solar power and minimize utility use.
                          It is there on my inverter I don't think it is called HBX though. It was setup that way but the tech crew changed the dip switch setting when they came in and I just haven't really been working with it because it is shut down until I can get a proper readings from the panels.

Comment

• charles2,david000k
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Oct 2015

Originally posted by sensij
                            Those voltage settings make no sense. Where did you come up with them? Among other things, the ON voltage needs to be higher than the OFF voltage for anything close to proper functioning. The ON voltage is the voltage at which the divert relay actuates, removing charging power from the batteries (and diverting it, if you had a dump load). the OFF voltage is the voltage to which the batteries need to fall before the relay turns off and charging power is connected to them again.

When you go to the P-3 setting, you should see live voltage first, high voltage (ON voltage) next, and the low voltage (OFF voltage) last. (Unless maybe the ONL setting got changed to ONH, which reverses the action of the relay)
                            I just checked it is set to ONL. When you short press through the setting it's 27.0 off voltage first. 23.9 On voltage second. When the cc turns off the panel voltage climbs to 34v when the cc is on the panel voltage falls to 28v. Unless the inverter is on pulling power then the panel voltage falls to 23v to 26v it is hard to determine voltage when the inverter is pulling the reading go up and down really fast. The panel voltage reading is pulled at the disconnect from panel side of disconnect with its own dedicated voltmeter. I have four voltmeter but two are questionable in their ability to take correct readings. the one meter I killed which I am no longer using and the new cc the voltage read out seems to be any where from .9 to 1.3 out of range not sure though because I am checking the reading with a analog voltmeter and not digital at this point.

The sky just finally cleared off at 2.51pm temp 70F to 72F panels peaked at 35.1volts with panels pointed directly at the sun but the full sun only lasted about 10 minutes before light clouds moved back in and out so the voltmeter reading is going from 35.8 to 34.3. The way it looks the sky might clear off in a few hours though. The only thing hooked to the 7 panels is the meter. I don't know if a voltmeter would cause the volts to fall from the panels. I just wish I could get a correct current reading.

Have any of you tried to wire a Watt Meter and Power Analyzer between the panels and charge controller to track panel output. I was thinking of it but was not sure. The renogy 150A looks cool but I am unsure about it due to the 12awg wiring used on it and they are usually used to track RC car battery health. I think if I feed a 4 Awg wire to those 12 Awg wires it would just burn up. http://www.directron.com/trcrmtrmt150.html#caption

Comment

• charles2,david000k
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Oct 2015

opinion please

What is your Opinion of this MPPT cc? Anyone ever use this one? Past experience appreciated! I can't find any warrenty info.

Comment

• jflorey2
                                Solar Fanatic
                                • Aug 2015

I just think it should be at least a even trade for Kwh it would push more people to put up pv and green power . . .
                                Seems like there are a fair number of incentives for that right now.

But in the long run the utility has costs. They have powerlines, transformers and transmission lines to maintain. They have powerplants to build and maintain and fuel. And providing you with a free service to 'store' your electricity for you means that, in the long run, they go bankrupt (or they have to raise everyone else's rates.)

The new model seems to be a monthly fee that is basically a "storage" fee that goes towards maintaining their infrastructure. That seems pretty fair. For us it's $5 a month, and we get a lot for that money. APS just raised theirs to $21 a month, and there's been a lot of hoopla over that.

Comment

Working...