Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AZlink
    • Oct 2014

Originally posted by paulcheung
    In that case, just make up your mind and get an off grid solar system. since you used to generator running, and not afraid to use it, just get a battery system that won't discharge more than 50% DOD daily.
    My mind is made thanks for reminding me, I am still reading on batteries some say the AGM is the best others show a formula saying that flooded batteries are best, then found info of a battery design for thermo king trailers named workaholic, that can be used in solar applications, anyway I have to wait for the kit my uncle bought to then know wish batteries are best, according to a replay about the second kit someone said that solar panel works best with small batteries like the one used in golf carts, until one of those 2 kits arrived I can decide wish batteries to buy, trust me once the kit is here home I'll upload photos of it and the question on what batteries to get, just to be clear all the info from each and everyone of you it is very appreciated, the solar thing is new to me I am like a sponge getting all the info and opinions, thanks again to you all...........AZ

Comment

• ChrisOlson
      Solar Fanatic
      • Sep 2013

It might be just me, but I'd stick with flooded lead-acid over AGM for off-grid power. And I'd go with L-16 type (floor maintenance machine) instead of golf cart. Although I realize that golf cart batteries will probably be easier to find (and cheaper) in Puerto Rico.
      off-grid in Northern Wisconsin for 14 years

Comment

• AZlink
        • Oct 2014

Originally posted by ChrisOlson
        It might be just me, but I'd stick with flooded lead-acid over AGM for off-grid power. And I'd go with L-16 type (floor maintenance machine) instead of golf cart. Although I realize that golf cart batteries will probably be easier to find (and cheaper) in Puerto Rico.
        You are probably right, I always forget location, location, location is a main factor

Since car batteries are lead acid and I can always check the acid level I kind of thought the flooded type was the proper for me, but still speculations...... Thanks AZ

Comment

• ChrisOlson
          Solar Fanatic
          • Sep 2013

Originally posted by AZlink
          You are probably right, I always forget location, location, location is a main factor
          Yeah, if you go to Aguirre and check with them guys, they probably got a good source to get golf cart batteries. We went there once and were going to play nine holes. My wife was wearing a tank top and jeans cut-off shorts and they told her she can't come on the golf course wearing that and had to change to something more "respectable". So we said to hell with it. But I seen they got lots of electric golf cars there so they have to get batteries for them from someplace.

Comment

• SunEagle
            Super Moderator
            • Oct 2012

Yeah, if you go to Aguirre and check with them guys, they probably got a good source to get golf cart batteries. We went there once and were going to play nine holes. My wife was wearing a tank top and jeans cut-off shorts and they told her she can't come on the golf course wearing that and had to change to something more "respectable". So we said to hell with it. But I seen they got lots of electric golf cars there so they have to get batteries for them from someplace.
            Most of the golf courses in Florida have a similar clothing rule. No cut-offs or jeans of any type and both men and women must wear shirts with sleeves. I can understand some dress codes but most take the "respectable" standard a little too far.

Comment

• ChrisOlson
              Solar Fanatic
              • Sep 2013

Originally posted by SunEagle
              Most of the golf courses in Florida have a similar clothing rule. No cut-offs or jeans of any type and both men and women must wear shirts with sleeves. I can understand some dress codes but most take the "respectable" standard a little too far.
              Yeah, we were there to have fun, not fit in with the yuppie crowd. If we were going to be forced to fit in with the yuppies, then that spoils our fun. So we left because we don't fit in with yuppies all that good. Really nice golf course there though.

Comment

• Sunking
                Solar Fanatic
                • Feb 2010

Yeah, we were there to have fun, not fit in with the yuppie crowd.
                Any golf course worth playing is going to have a dress code. In fact any I have every played or known have dress codes. Even city owned municipal courses have dress codes. They do it to keep the Road and Trailer Park Trash off the course.
                MSEE, PE

Comment

• ChrisOlson
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Sunking
                  Any golf course worth playing is going to have a dress code.
                  Yeah, at the higher end courses like at the Yacht Club up here on Madeline the girls ride around in the golf cars wearing string bikinis. Definitely a few steps in improvement above them yuppie ones down south.

Comment

• Sunking
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Feb 2010

Yeah, at the higher end courses like at the Yacht Club up here on Madeline the girls ride around in the golf cars wearing string bikinis. Definitely a few steps in improvement above them yuppie ones down south.
                    You need to check again. Private courses down south have 18 to 25 year old bomb shells driving butt naked. We even have a tournament where the caddies are strippers from the Gentlemans Club's wearing nothing but a Thong. Beats some old women and man wearing a tank top.

MSEE, PE

Comment

• AZlink
                      • Oct 2014

Sorry where are this girls driving golf carts with string bikinis? Lol I see those here to specially on summer time, OK guys back to topic before mods kill us for not inviting them to those places. Lol......AZ

Comment

• SunEagle
                        Super Moderator
                        • Oct 2012

They do it to keep the Road and Trailer Park Trash off the course.
                        Hey this is Florida. Half the people that live here resemble what you said.

Actually due to the drop in attendance at some courses they have reduced the green fees as well as being a little more lenient with the dress code. Got to attract more people to keep that revenue coming in.

Comment

• Sunking
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Feb 2010

Originally posted by SunEagle
                          Hey this is Florida. Half the people that live here resemble what you said.

Actually due to the drop in attendance at some courses they have reduced the green fees as well as being a little more lenient with the dress code. Got to attract more people to keep that revenue coming in.
                          Yeah last time I was in Myrtle Beach there were a lot of closed courses. Other than high end private country clubs, most are just causal like no cut-offs jeans OK, shorts OK, shirts with a collar, and NO METAL SPIKES. High end joints expect you to dress like a pro. But grandma in a tank top wont cut it anywhere.

700-00781985w.jpg
                          MSEE, PE

Comment

• ZoNiE
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Jul 2014

Can't "Unsee" THAT!
                            House-Sun Earth Hot Water.
                            RV-390W Kyocera, Kid.

Comment

• Sunking
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Feb 2010

Originally posted by ZoNiE
                              Can't "Unsee" THAT!
                              Works better than a cold shower to make Willie retreat.
                              MSEE, PE

Comment

• ChrisOlson
                                Solar Fanatic
                                • Sep 2013

High end joints expect you to dress like a pro. But grandma in a tank top wont cut it anywhere.
                                JFC man. Is that one of them 18 to 25 year old road and trailer trash "bombshells" that drive around nude in golf cars? No wonder they got a dress code down there.

A fair-skinned, blonde-haired, blue-eyed imported 52 year old grandmother of two in her favorite sailing uniform. Not all grandma's are created equal, and who needs 18 to 25 road and trailer trash bombshells? We tend to have a little class up here

Comment

Working...