X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SunEagle
    Super Moderator
    • Oct 2012

Originally posted by paulcheung
    My system cost me $20,000 US dollars give and take few hundred dollars for the exchange rate changes during the whole system setup. I have 12 235 watts panels wired in 3 series string connected to a OUTBACK FM60 CC. 8 250 watts 8 245 watts panels wired in 4 series string connected to a Classic 150 CC. 1 bank Rolls S-460 8x6 volt connect to a Midnite 250 amps breaker/combiner. another bank Rolls S-530 8x6 volts batteries connected to another Midnite breaker combiner box. the inverter is Magnum MS4448PAE 4400 watts 48 volts.

My daily power usage is about 20 to 25 KWH,( mostly 22-23 KWH). According to the CC logs my harvest daily between 20 to 35 KWH depend on how many clouds passing by, rainy days is about 5 to 10 KWH, I use a 4400 watts generator and grid for rainy days. I put most my consumption in the sunny time, the battery supplied power is around 10 KWH each night.

Cheers.
    That is a pretty good price for your system. Conservatively figuring 25 kWh a day harvest that would come to about 45600 kWh in 5 years. That calculates to about $0.44/kWh which is much lower cost than I usually calculate for a solar battery system. Of course if those batteries only last 4 years then it drives the price up to about $0.55/kWh which is still very good. Thanks for the data.

Comment

• AZlink
      • Oct 2014

Code:
      http://m.aliexpress.xxx/item-desc/1957555856.html
      I replaced the dot com to xxx........compared with the kit my uncle is buying with this one wish do you think is best? Both are the same price but this one says the inverter is pure sine wave..........AZ

Comment

• inetdog
        Super Moderator
        • May 2012

Originally posted by AZlink
        Code:
        http://m.aliexpress.xxx/item-desc/1957555856.html
        I replaced the dot com to xxx........compared with the kit my uncle is buying with this one wish do you think is best? Both are the same price but this one says the inverter is pure sine wave..........AZ
        Hard to say with any accuracy since this one's description only covers the panels in any detail.
        It has a total of 1000W of panel, which is good. But those panels are small battery-type panels (low voltage), which is not bad in itself but is usually not the least expensive way to get any particular amount of total power.
        Pure sine inverter is good too, and the panel power is better matched to the inverter power. The CC is supposed to work with 12, 24, or 48V battery systems, but we do not know what voltage the inverter is designed for.
        A lot of missing information.
        SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• AZlink
          • Oct 2014

Originally posted by inetdog
          Hard to say with any accuracy since this one's description only covers the panels in any detail.
          It has a total of 1000W of panel, which is good. But those panels are small battery-type panels (low voltage), which is not bad in itself but is usually not the least expensive way to get any particular amount of total power.
          Pure sine inverter is good too, and the panel power is better matched to the inverter power. The CC is supposed to work with 12, 24, or 48V battery systems, but we do not know what voltage the inverter is designed for.
          A lot of missing information.
          Let me try to find the specs and copy paste here................AZ

Comment

• AZlink
            • Oct 2014

Electrical parametersET3415NET4415NET6415NNominal System Voltage12/24/36/48V auto workRated Battery Current30A45A60AMax PV open*circuit voltage150VVoltage*range9-64VMax*PV input power12V 390W12V 585W12V 780W24V 780W24V 1170W24V 1560W36V 1170W36V*1755W36V*2340W48V 1560W48V 2340W48V 3120WSelf-consumption1.4-2.2WCommunicationRS232,CAN BUS and EthernetGroundingNegative

This is what I found, copy paste with android phone is not fancy sorry for that, still waiting on seller to confirm but I think the CC is the 60 amp model...........brb still research. AZ

Comment

• AZlink
              • Oct 2014

OK my friends, check the photo of the CC bottom left is the brand I did some Googleing found the home page under new e-tracer charger and found a lot info and specs, found a photo of the CC connected to laptop for reprogramming using RS232 serial port same I use to recover dead satellite receivers........any light once you read that specs will be good, anyway I thinkuuncle already bought this kit instead of the one in amz last night, if I heard wrong it doesn't matter because wish ever kit I receive I will upload photos and ask your advise before installing it.........AZ

Comment

• ChrisOlson
                Solar Fanatic
                • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Sunking
                So why go off grid if you are trying to save money? Don't fool yourself, it is impossible for you to save money going off grid.
                Not in Puerto Rico. They have 20 or 21 hydro plants and a coal plant there. All the rest, including peaking generators, are HFO, either diesel or combined cycle gas turbine. They throw a fuel surcharge on the bill for the use of the diesel and combined cycle turbines running on HFO. We had a $1,100 electric bill for our yacht in a slip at Puerto del Rey there for only two weeks.

Off-grid is actually a very good option in Puerto Rico, and one that many people that can do it pursue.
                off-grid in Northern Wisconsin for 14 years

Comment

• SunEagle
                  Super Moderator
                  • Oct 2012

Originally posted by ChrisOlson
                  Not in Puerto Rico. They have 20 or 21 hydro plants and a coal plant there. All the rest, including peaking generators, are HFO, either diesel or combined cycle gas turbine. They throw a fuel surcharge on the bill for the use of the diesel and combined cycle turbines running on HFO. We had a $1,100 electric bill for our yacht in a slip at Puerto del Rey there for only two weeks.

Off-grid is actually a very good option in Puerto Rico, and one that many people that can do it pursue.
                  I am also getting the feeling that in some countries, especially island type, the POCO costs are much higher than anywhere in the US including Hawaii. Combine that high price along with regular power outages sure makes a case for off grid system. Expensive yes but maybe less than using the POCO.
                  Last edited by SunEagle; 10-13-2014, 08:58 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

• ChrisOlson
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Sep 2013

Originally posted by SunEagle
                    I am also getting the feeling that in some countries, especially island type, the POCO costs are much higher than anywhere in the US including Hawaii. Combine that high price along with regular power outages sure makes a case for off grid system. Expensive yes but maybe less than using the POCO.
                    Yep. Same thing on the island of San Andres down by Panama. All the power on the island is fueled with HFO, and provided by 20 MW Colt-Pielstick 18 cylinder diesel generators. Power there is pretty expensive. On Puerto Rico two of the diesel plants are 20 MW Pielsticks, the rest are Fairbanks-Morse OP's that have been running on the island since WWII. Lots of 1.2 - 4.0 MW Cummins QSK standby generators on Puerto Rico - don't know the exact number but it's over 100 of 'em. And those Cummins generators on Puerto Rico get a lot of hours on them because the power goes out just about every day.

Basically, the whole island is pretty much off-grid with all kinds of backup systems scattered all over the place to keep things lit when the government-run POCO goes belly up.

Comment

• SunEagle
                      Super Moderator
                      • Oct 2012

Originally posted by ChrisOlson
                      Yep. Same thing on the island of San Andres down by Panama. All the power on the island is fueled with HFO, and provided by 20 MW Colt-Pielstick 18 cylinder diesel generators. Power there is pretty expensive. On Puerto Rico two of the diesel plants are 20 MW Pielsticks, the rest are Fairbanks-Morse OP's that have been running on the island since WWII. Lots of 1.2 - 4.0 MW Cummins QSK standby generators on Puerto Rico - don't know the exact number but it's over 100 of 'em. And those Cummins generators on Puerto Rico get a lot of hours on them because the power goes out just about every day.

Basically, the whole island is pretty much off-grid with all kinds of backup systems scattered all over the place to keep things lit when the government-run POCO goes belly up.
                      Hmmm. Maybe Puerto Rico is a nice place to visit but not necessarily a great place to live if you require a quality power source.

Comment

• ChrisOlson
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Sep 2013

Hmmm. Maybe Puerto Rico is a nice place to visit but not necessarily a great place to live if you require a quality power source.
                        The electrical system is only part of the problem in Puerto Rico. High crime - not usual to get carjacked at gunpoint right on mainstreet in broad daylight, and the police look the other way because they don't want to deal with it. All kinds of closed businesses and schools, prices for electricity and water, and taxes, very high. And the government is huge in the hole.

Comment

• AZlink
                          • Oct 2014

Hello guys, the news today very early in the morning the energy company announced the new price of the kW will be 32 cents he he he add the fuel wish the government mentioned they will be adding a 4 cents tax to each liter of fuel..oh my where and when this will end...............AZ

Comment

• SunEagle
                            Super Moderator
                            • Oct 2012

Originally posted by AZlink
                            Hello guys, the news today very early in the morning the energy company announced the new price of the kW will be 32 cents he he he add the fuel wish the government mentioned they will be adding a 4 cents tax to each liter of fuel..oh my where and when this will end...............AZ
                            The increase may be due to hurricane Gonzalo being at your doorstep. Once the price goes up (for whatever the reason) chances are it won't go back down.

Comment

• AZlink
                              • Oct 2014

The increase may be due to hurricane Gonzalo being at your doorstep. Once the price goes up (for whatever the reason) chances are it won't go back down.
                              It also affect but not the case, on September the governor mentioned he was looking for a solution for the island's dead economy said as a last resort to apply a 4 cent tax to the fuel, but promised not the raise the electric price, the people told him not raising the electric price but applying a tax to the fuel is same as raising the electric price, to look for other alternatives and stop putting taxes to things that never had tax since the people's income are less then the life's price he has made us, but this day it came all clear he did both the fuel tax and higher electric bill. AZ

Comment

• paulcheung
                                Solar Fanatic
                                • Jul 2013

In that case, just make up your mind and get an off grid solar system. since you used to generator running, and not afraid to use it, just get a battery system that won't discharge more than 50% DOD daily.

Comment

Working...