small scale!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• small scale!

Hello everyone, I am currently working on mass producing design driven solar chargers in the middle east and north africa region. I have everything complete except the solar panels. I need 12V 5W solar panels. The only ones sold in my country (Egypt) are around 20cm and I'm looking for something much more portable. I've been searching for global companies to import from but they all work on large scale infrastructure project.

Me and my partner on the project have been working so hard and we're currently at a phase where we aren't working because we're waiting for the panel to be able to test our prototype. We really want to make progress.

Can anyone recommend me any companies that manufacture small scale solar panels for charging electronic devices. I'm certain that there has to be atleast one company out there that caters to this market.

Thank you!

Originally posted by oka92 View Post
    Hello everyone, I am currently working on mass producing design driven solar chargers in the middle east and north africa region. I have everything complete except the solar panels. I need 12V 5W solar panels. The only ones sold in my country (Egypt) are around 20cm and I'm looking for something much more portable. I've been searching for global companies to import from but they all work on large scale infrastructure project.

Me and my partner on the project have been working so hard and we're currently at a phase where we aren't working because we're waiting for the panel to be able to test our prototype. We really want to make progress.

Can anyone recommend me any companies that manufacture small scale solar panels for charging electronic devices. I'm certain that there has to be atleast one company out there that caters to this market.

Thank you!
    You are up against a fundamental physical problem:

1. The total insolation (incoming solar energy) at noon at sea level with the panel aimed directly at the sun is about 1000w/m2. A small solar panel of the type you are likely to find will be at best 15% efficient in turning solar energy into electrical energy. So a 1m x 1m panel will produce 150 watts at best.

2. A 20cm x 20cm panel will be 1/25th of the that size.

3. 1/25th of 150 is 6 watts.

4. How much smaller can you go and still get 5 watts out of your panel?

As I see it, you have two different roads you can explore:
    A: What is the lowest power output that you can possibly make do with, either by exposing the panel for a longer time or having less total energy to use?
    B: Look at a folding panel array or a roll-up flexible panel to make it more transportable. Both of these have practical disadvantages, will cost more and will be less durable.

A less practical alternative, but maybe worth looking at would be to provide a folding reflector array to concentrate more sunlight on a smaller panel. The main problems with this are keeping it aimed and getting the reflected light to hit the panel head on too.
    SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

well, the lowest power will be 5watts and this will lead to a smaller panel. On the other hand, we wont be able to use the folding panel which is amorphous due to the drawbacks you have mentioned and few more. I don't know a lot about the folding reflector, if you can tell me more about it would be great.

Also, having a 12v panel with 5watts up till now all i have seen are huge 30cm * 30cm nothing less. Will i be able to get a 12v panel, 5 watts having small dimensions, I mean is it even possible ??

Comment

Panel Suggestion

Thank you!
        Not sure if you are asking for solar cells to use in mass production of solar chargers, or a solar charger for personal use...but assuming you want a charger I would recommend getting a Global Solar Sunlinq Charger or a powerfilm panel. Global Solar makes the Sunlinq 3 thats super portable with the following specs:

Unfolded: (229 mm x 736 mm)
        Folded: (229 mm x 127 mm)
        Weight: 198 Grams
        Max Output: 6.5 watt (15v at 433mA) (You want slightly above 12v for 12v charging applications)

Sorry if that isn't what you wanted, I'm not exactly sure what you're asking, but if you could be more specific I'd love to help!

Comment

Details;

Originally posted by Endless Sun Solar View Post
          Not sure if you are asking for solar cells to use in mass production of solar chargers, or a solar charger for personal use...but assuming you want a charger I would recommend getting a Global Solar Sunlinq Charger or a powerfilm panel. Global Solar makes the Sunlinq 3 thats super portable with the following specs:

Unfolded: (229 mm x 736 mm)
          Folded: (229 mm x 127 mm)
          Weight: 198 Grams
          Max Output: 6.5 watt (15v at 433mA) (You want slightly above 12v for 12v charging applications)

Sorry if that isn't what you wanted, I'm not exactly sure what you're asking, but if you could be more specific I'd love to help!
          Thanks but we were asking for solar cells/panels that can be used for the manufacturing of a solar charger. The question was where can we find a solar cell producing 12v, that is small in size.

Comment

Thanks but we were asking for solar cells/panels that can be used for the manufacturing of a solar charger. The question was where can we find a solar cell producing 12v, that is small in size.
            Oh ok, I would definitely take a look at ebay. They have tons of solar cells, you can find thin film CIGS solar cells or just regular silicon depending on what you want. I am not sure if you will find one EXACTLY to your specs, usually you will need to use a couple lower wattage and lower volt solar cells that when put together in a panel, will produce 12v and the desired wattage assuming you've assembled them correctly.

Comment

Originally posted by Endless Sun Solar View Post
              I am not sure if you will find one EXACTLY to your specs, usually you will need to use a couple lower wattage and lower volt solar cells that when put together in a panel, will produce 12v and the desired wattage assuming you've assembled them correctly.
              At 0.5 volts per cell he needs a couple - you have no idea of what you are typing.
              [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Originally posted by russ View Post
                At 0.5 volts per cell he needs a couple - you have no idea of what you are typing.
                Maybe he meant a couple of "dozen" cells.

Comment

Sorry wrong wording, I said a couple not meaning two, I meant just multiple in general. Yeah at .5v per cell it would be much more than a just a couple.

Comment

Guys, if you check out the catalogue of this company called value objects (http://www.value-objects.com/downloa...atalog_WWW.pdf) they seem to have found a way to charge a phone using 12V 5W at the dimension of 11.5cm by 10cm

My initial question was wondering if any of you guys knew manufacturing companies that could provide me panels of that size or smaller with the same electronic specifications

Comment

Guys, if you check out the catalogue of this company called value objects (http://www.value-objects.com/downloa...atalog_WWW.pdf) they seem to have found a way to charge a phone using 12V 5W at the dimension of 11.5cm by 10cm

My initial question was wondering if any of you guys knew manufacturing companies that could provide me panels of that size or smaller with the same electronic specifications
                      Panels for useless junk items?
                      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Panels for useless junk items?
                        While I agree that some items in the catalogue represent pure consumerism such as the business card holder, I personally believe in the importance of using solar energy to charge electronic devices, and value the impact that this gap in the market, which I'm potentially operating could have on a global scale.

Would you happen to know any companies that manufacture panels on such a scale?

Comment

OP,The Chinese are well ahead of you in terms of solar chargers or any solar product. And they sell them cheap. Might want to try reselling their product instead of making your own.

Comment

Sorry. I didn't see the device you were referring too.

I did see a number of devices that had lithium batteries inside which would charge a cell phone in 3 - 4 hours but even the biggest device using the crystalline cells indicated it would take 12 - 15 hours of sunlight to do the charging.

I am afraid you will not find anything as small as you want that uses sunlight to do the charging you are looking for.

Comment

Originally posted by SunEagle View Post
                              Sorry. I didn't see the device you were referring too.

I did see a number of devices that had lithium batteries inside which would charge a cell phone in 3 - 4 hours but even the biggest device using the crystalline cells indicated it would take 12 - 15 hours of sunlight to do the charging.

I am afraid you will not find anything as small as you want that uses sunlight to do the charging you are looking for.
                              Well I'm wondering are there any companies that manufacture panels of that size (12v 5w) because I can't find any manufacturers. The company above said they manufacture themselves but use it in their products and don't sell the cells themselves.

Comment

Working...
                              X