Nickel Iron Battery - NREL Test Results

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Murby View Post
    Ya, since reading this thread, I'm starting to lean towards the Lithium Ion... Looking at LG, Sonnen and Tesla... What's cool is that even though the batteries seem to be more expensive, they also come with their own 240 split phase inverters built in...
    Don't do that and waste your money. Lithium is not ready yet. Consider a good Industrial Lead Acid Battery like Trojan IND line up or Rolls 5000 Series. They cost less than LFP and last longer.

All you got to do is look at the warrant. At best you may get 2 year warranty on LFP batteries. Trojan and you are looking at 8 years. Not even close.

MSEE, PE

Comment

Originally posted by Sunking View Post
      Don't do that and waste your money. Lithium is not ready yet. Consider a good Industrial Lead Acid Battery like Trojan IND line up or Rolls 5000 Series. They cost less than LFP and last longer.

All you got to do is look at the warrant. At best you may get 2 year warranty on LFP batteries. Trojan and you are looking at 8 years. Not even close.
      Trojan (13.5 kWh) and Sonnen Lithium batteries are warranted to produce 70% at 10 years or something like 5000 cycles.... There is also no maintenance and the batteries include a 120/240 split phase inverter rated at something like 5000 or 7000 watts.
      One must consider what it costs to purchase an equivalent inverter, charge controller, and battery bank and then put them all together.. With the Tesla, its all one unit.

And while I'm still getting my information straightened out, I think the Tesla battery can accept AC or DC input to charge. As for the Tesla, they are certified to work with SMA inverters, which is what I have.. but I'm still working on figuring out exactly what that means.. Does it mean they can override the anti-islanding feature like the SMA Sunny Island or the Schneider Conext units? Still working on it.

They've made some big improvements this year.... Does that information change your opinion in any way?

Comment

Originally posted by Murby View Post
        They've made some big improvements this year.... Does that information change your opinion in any way?
        Nope, Tesla does not impress me one little bit.

MSEE, PE

Comment

Originally posted by Sunking View Post
          Nope, Tesla does not impress me one little bit.
          Which part specifically? I'm totally open so please feel free to drag them through the dirt.. I have no preconceived notions one way or the other...

Comment

Working...
          X