X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sunking
    Solar Fanatic
    • Feb 2010

Originally posted by Iron Bran
    Check out Paul talk about his battery pack. Battery swap stations are cool, too.
    Yes I have discussed battery modules many times on an EV forum and it has been discussed in great detail, but has a huge flaw and a long way off from ever being applicable. It would require all EV manufactures to standardize battery packages. Not just one but several configurations. Something like small, medium, and large to accommodate different size and weight vehicles.

Did you know there used to be a network of EV charging stations way back in the 1900's???
    I am not aware of any charging stations in the USA at that time period, but I do know in 1896 General Electric (Edison's Car Company) sold EV's and proposed a battery exchange/swap program to be ran by Hartford Electric Light and Power where users paid a monthly fee based on mileage for swap exchange program and was provided from 1910 to 1924 using Edison's NiFe battery. It was operated in the NYC metro area for delivery trucks.

There was a similar service provided in Chicago beginning in 1917. I am also aware the first Taxi service were electric cars in NYC and the vehicles were made by Electric Carriage and Wagon out of Philly.

Yes history is repeating itself some what, but because the technology now allows it. EV were king of the road from the 1890' up until the mid 20's. What did them in was the lack of a battery, improvements in ICE vehicles, the rapid build out of petroleum infrastructure, (non government funded) and Henry Ford's Model T.

Don't get me wrong Iron Bran, I am a huge fan of EV's. They are my hobby on a small scale albeit golf carts. I have two of them and 1 I modify to race. I have a Fairview NEV with a modified controller that allows me about 40 MPH and fully street legal on roads with 35 MPH or less speed limits. I aslo have an EZ-GO TXT series cart completely modifired with 650 amp controller, 48 volt LFP battery, and a 12 Kw racing motor. It only goes 35 MPH, but it only takes 5 feet to accelerate to 35 MPH and will climb a tree. I am fixing to rip all that out and upgrade to 72 volt battery. 500 amp controoler, and a WARP 9 Series DC motor. That should get me a 50 MPH rubber burning, wheelie popping golf cart.
    MSEE, PE

Comment

• Sunking
      Solar Fanatic
      • Feb 2010

Thanks for the calcs, you are right on when using your assumptions. The govt used a couple different scenarios, including with and without regenerative braking. Higher C batteries will allow for even more regen.
      I understand that and I apologize for beating up on you. But everything you talk about is already done using LFP technology, and it can do it better and cheaper. The new LFP coming out can be completely discharged, high C & D rates, 10,000 cycle life, and roughly 11 times the energy density at less wh cost than NiFe. The final nail with respect to EV's is the Lithium technology will only get better and less expensive as it is in it's infancy stage of development. NiFe is mature and has gone as far as it can.

Kind of like a CRT display. LED's and Plasma run laps around CRT and they are already better than CRT and getting better and cheaper every day.

I do see two applications for NiFe but they have been used in those industries for decades; Rail Road Signal lights, and Mining emergency lighting.

Peace
      MSEE, PE

Comment

• russ
        Solar Fanatic
        • Jul 2009

Originally posted by Sunking
        But you are wrong Russ. All EV's used NiFe batteries in the early 1900's. They failed because of the energy density, weight, and high internal resistance. The EV's could only go around 10 to 20 miles on a charge and were quite slow and could not climb relatively shallow terrain.
        Sunking - that is a detailed explanation of what I said.

I could care less if the EV's of 100 years back used NiFe - that is all they had and cars were just a rich man's toy.
        [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• Sunking
          Solar Fanatic
          • Feb 2010

Originally posted by russ
          Sunking - that is a detailed explanation of what I said.

I could care less if the EV's of 100 years back used NiFe - that is all they had and cars were just a rich man's toy.
          Russ it was just my ironic humor.
          MSEE, PE

Comment

Working...