No announcement yet.

NiFe USA series batteries?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The most important post in Chinese Nickel Iron Battery History !

Originally posted by Sundetective View Post
    Don't be sorry.
    If you go through the Posts here and at the Otherpower (Fieldlines)
    Forum you will see that old Bill had NiFe batteries well over 40 years ago.
    Therefore I can be your Light and your way.

Changhong doesn't condemn their own technology.

They just don't Lie and sugar coat the problems and Limitations of the Electrolye.

With no real viable reconditioning method like the old Edison NiFe Cells had
    once the
    Nickel Iron Battery Plates, especially the Positive Elements

get contaminated with VARIOUS CONTAMINATES,

GRAPHITE BEING DA CHIEF CAPACITY THIEF -

As Frank Zappa would have said 'the price of meat has just gone up and
    your old Lady has just gone down.'

Carbonates is just a distraction. Just window dressing.

Changhong is just as worried about iron 'and other contaminates',

if not more so.

Read the latest NiFe Operators Manual from

Changhong and The Electric Indian
    Or
    Bear witness to the cekiert masterpiece Post here at SolarPanelTalk
    called
    'How much NICKEL is Really in a Nickel Iron (Ni-Fe) Battery ??

It's wonderful, brilliant, survival time battery technology that was Lost
    and has Lost it's way.

Could be 'The Finest' by the Legendary SOS Band.

(See YouTube for this and ALL Matters).

Just way too Long of a Story to really mess with unless you had youth,
    Big money, initiative and went to China - forcing things to happen.

Start with buying Pure Reagent Grade LIOH by the Metric Ton for under a
    Penny per gram. TWO TIME bag the 25 Key paper bags of Lithium Hydroxide
    and put dem inside the best
    Mylar Bags.

Show some sense.
    Slap them on a pallet, be a big boy and knock the BS out of this
    silly impotent set-up.
    Just old fashioned common sense for all of it.

Also bring back the incomparable

Edison Nickel Iron Battery Submarine Boat technology
    and rock on.

Hire my old bud, Diamond John Mario D'Angelo, from the Legendary

BeUtilityFree Nickel Iron Battery Company

as your advisor.

Give me a dollar.

Mighty Joe Bill Blake

All kidding aside for this subject to progress after most of us are
    Long gone it is urgent that you download and preserve the

2014 Changhong Ni-Fe Installation and Maintenence Manual.

It blows away anything ever done in size and scope.

Old Bill just looked at it again for the first time in many months.

One revelation after another if you know how to follow the
    authors train of thought.

YOU determine how much Internal Resistance the badboys
    generate as I felt was the case (and wrote about) long ago.

YOU are the Captain of your own Ship with these units.

It goes much further than first meets the eye.

They confirm a lot of my previous speculation - the devils.

Bill Blake

Comment

2014 Changhong Ni-Fe Installation and Maintenance Manual.
      do you have a link handy for that one ? A quick search just gets hundreds of ChiCom hits (and this forum)
      Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
      || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
      || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
      gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Originally posted by Mike90250 View Post
        do you have a link handy for that one ? A quick search just gets hundreds of ChiCom hits (and this forum)
        Mike,

They normally have the downloads at their website:

www.changhongbatteries.com

unless they have gotten tricky again.

They had 2 versions of the manual. I put the Solar PV Version

a couple of places. Looking at a copy of it on a Memory card in a

Smartphone right now.

See what Changhong has using a real computer.

It will be next week before I get home.

Bill Blake

Comment

Originally posted by smily03 View Post
          When you mention that the China battery company is the only one that's honest about how bad the technology is compared to the alternatives, it makes me wonder - if it's so bad, why do they keep making them?
          You can name thousands of products that fit that description. As PT Barnum said: There is a Sucker Born Every Minute.
          MSEE, PE

Comment

Mike,

They normally have the downloads at their website: www.changhongbatteries.com ...
            Thanks
            Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
            || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

Comment

Originally posted by Sunking View Post
              You can name thousands of products that fit that description. As PT Barnum said: There is a Sucker Born Every Minute.
              They were pretty straightforward about Limitations and how to wake
              the f--k up and get some real life out of NiFe.

They WERE NOT the jokers hiding the Instruction Manuals, making up
              their own manuals, planting Lies and fishwife tales, etc.

Like old Bill or hate da man ... let's face it. The game was forever changed
              when he rode in on their a-s.

A long time ago one of their top Battery Doctors at Changhong told me that
              he was reading all the posts and felt his Company, Changhong Batteries
              was telling us too much.

He had already had them edit out some stuff I hit him on in the USA version
              of the Solar PV Brochure.

Now I'm afraid the real big cuts are coming down and we will have

More LOST Knowledge on our hands unless someone acts fast.

Old Bill never had to get slick with computers.
              My Company had people that did everything for me.
              I was the cheerleader and made tapes with notes.

If the right guy ever came along your weak, prissy Lithium is a joke
              compared to what could and should be for Off Grid with NiFe.

How many Decades do you need to hear all the Tales of Woe - daddy-o ?

Spare us that haggard Patent story please. The Patents could ONLY Last
              17 years back then. PERIOD.

It's a Copyright that could be renewed and renewed.

In spite of everything NiFe WAS THE MOST PROFITABLE INVENTION

The Legendary Thomas A. Edison ever had.

Let dat be a Lesson to you.

Bill Blake

Comment

The old Changhong Batteries Support Documents were nice where I
                could copy and paste the old-fashioned way.
                Not any more.

I believe they may have started some other slick practices as well.

However someone that is slick with computers can probably
                blow right past them.
                Someone like Doctor Vinnie Boombatz for instance.

Please let me know if you find any Nickel Iron Downloads at

www.changhongbatteries.com

The sly devils.

My attempt using the mobile device version of their website
                led to nowheresville.
                Like I said it will be next week sometime until I get back to a computer.

Bill Blake

Comment

...Please let me know if you find any Nickel Iron Downloads at
                  www.changhongbatteries.com...
                  Found a chunk of blue text saying DOWNLOAD, but it's not an actual link. I viewed page source, and it's not assigned to anything,

Comment

Cool, thank you very much, Bill The pieces are clicking together now, I've seen comments from BillBlake on Fieldlines, and heard references to "Old Bill" elsewhere as well. So, I'm guessing that you're one and the same then? Pleasure to meet your virtual acquaintance, and sorry that I was frustrated earlier :/

And, that would make total sense. As I was reading and doing research, I was seeing all this data about how good the technology was. So it was really confusing to me about how the batteries could be bad. But makes a lot more sense now.

So if my research is correct, one of the big problems with the LiOH is if it's exposed to air, because it consumes carbon dioxide from the air, and kind of renders it mostly pointless for the NiFe setup, correct? So that's why the "getting fresh, double-bag, and store in Mylar" is the important key in the process there.

Doing a google search for the string "site:changhongbatteries.com pdf" I was able to find this doc on NiFe batteries, but it doesn't look like what Bill was referencing. I'll keep searching and see what I can find.
                    http://www.changhongbatteries.com/do...4d7821e49f.pdf

I found this thread as I've been digging through stuff, and it's got a lot of good info in it: http://www.fieldlines.com/index.php?topic=146754.0

So, from how it sounds, it almost seems like we need to find someone who can make the NiFe batteries to the original Edison specs, and then they'd be a lot more worthwhile? Especially if we could get the components for the electrolyte around where they actually cost, instead of the crazy markups it looks like it sounds are happening?

I did find this while doing some more searching: http://www.sigmaaldrich.com/catalog/...g=en&region=US but it's more like 45 cents per gram, rather than a penny a gram. Plus I don't know that there's a way to tell how well it was packaged, etc.?

Comment

I think this might be it? Not sure if it's the 2014 version or not, but it's at least promising looking: http://nickelcells.com/pdf/manuf/Ni-...r%20manual.pdf

Comment

Found a chunk of blue text saying DOWNLOAD, but it's not an actual link. I viewed page source, and it's not assigned to anything,

So Mike it sounds like 'The NiFe Information War has begun'.

It was foretold by Obi-Wan Kenobi, Dr. Vinnie Boombatz and others.

Perhaps smily03 is 'The One' and Karma sent him to do

Computer Battle with the machines just before it's ALL erased

from the Next Generation.

Thanks,

old Bill Blake

Comment

Haha, you never know I do like being a computer nerd, and sometimes it comes in handy when you're trying to track down elusive information...

Out of random curiosity, does anyone know about Zappworks? I saw a guy named Hank Muntzer mentioned in this thread: http://www.permies.com/t/13862/energ...Iron-Batteries and tried to track him down. Apparently he works for (owns?) a company named Zappworks, which makes NiFe batteries: http://www.bizapedia.com/mt/ZAPP-WORKS-INC.html http://zappworks.com/index.htm

The prices are more than others, but maybe if they're better (eg., actual nickel, replaceable parts, disassemble-able, etc.,) it'd be worth it?

Comment

Something else I'm curious about - the amount of water that's used up. According to some of the original Edison documents, overcharging doesn't do anything but make the water bubble out, and the official charge rate is for 7 hours at the "normal rate" when fully discharged, and proportionally less if the battery is less discharged.

http://ironedison.com/images/product...29%201914_.pdf

Comment

This thread is a really good read as I've been digging through it as well: http://www.fieldlines.com/index.php/...146754.27.html

Comment

I guess, this is something I have to take into consideration.

I'm going to have a 24 volt system.

Four T105RE's will cost me $500 from my local battery supplier. At 80% discharge, they're supposed to last 1000 cycles, and will provide me with 180 aH. That would equate to $0.50 per cycle, or $2.77 per aH.

A set of NiFe batteries from Zappworks will set me back $7500 plus shipping. If we go by the Chonghang documentation, (at least their) NiFe batteries are supposed to last 1000 cycles at 80% discharge. They should provide 200 aH. That would equate to $7.50 per cycle, or $37.50 per aH.

But, other places you read that discharging down to 80% won't shorten the life of the NiFe batteries.

So I guess the key question is - will good NiFe batteries last more than 1,000 cycles at a good discharge? If so, how long *should* they last in the real world?

If they only last 1,000 cycles real-world, would that mean that the cells are totally shot at that point and need totally replaced, or just an electrolyte change, etc.? (Assuming they've been properly maintained all along, etc.)

I guess that's my ultimate goal with this. If the life of NiFe is ultimately the same, or similar to, LA, then budgetarily (even though not environmentally,) it makes sense to do LA, because I could buy 15 sets of LA for the price of NiFe, and end up with relatively the same aH.

Realistically, if I do LA, I'm going to plan for a 20% discharge cycle, because the T105RE's are supposed to have 4k cycles at that light discharge level. But, that only gives me 45 aH, which isn't much - I'd need 5 strings of 20% LA to equal one string of 80% NiFe. So at that point, it would be:
                                $2500 for LA, 4000 cycles, 225 aH. That equals $0.625 per cycle, and $11.11 per aH. Theoretically, they should last 11 years.

If NiFe is supposed to last "a lifetime," let's call it 50 years to be conservative. That would be about 18,000 cycles, give or take. So we'd have
                                $7500 for the batteries, 200 aH. That would be $0.42 per cycle, and still $37.50 per aH.

But, you also have to take in consideration the electrolyte changes. The Iron Edison folks said that electrolyte changes cost about 5% of the original batteries. And depending on where you get your info, electrolyte changes could be as often as once a year, or 1000 cycles, or up to 20 years. If we take the worst-case scenario, that would be $350 per year, over 50 years, so an extra $19,000 in electrolyte changes. Best-case scenario would be realistically once every 10 years probably, so an extra $3500. So best-case scenario would be a total cost of $11,000, which would be $0.61 per cycle, and $55 per aH.

So, comparing the two, that would require 5 sets of LA ($12,500) to equal one set of NiFe. So if we compare them at that point, we would have -

NiFe: $0.61 per cycle, and $55 per aH
                                LA: $0.62 per cycle, and $55.55 per aH

So, unless some of my assumptions are wrong, you'll end up paying about the same long-term cost-wise. However, you'll be better for the environment with NiFe over LA. Are my assumptions in all of this correct?

The one thing that I'm not taking into consideration, obviously, is the price difference in the solar equipment required for the different battery types, or the cost of time in keeping LA batteries at the proper specific gravity.

Comment

Working...
                                X