X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Used Nissan batteries for UK

Something new.
    https://amp.theguardian.com/business...slas-powerwall

It is only a matter of time for more companies to come out with an energy storage product for the home owner. It will be a blooming market if the price is right and the tech support is available.

Although purchasing a used EV battery may come with it's own issues. I would certainly make sure the battery came from a reputable company that has performed all the safety checks and tests on it before they just sell it to anyone with $5k.

Comment

I will stick with Trojan man.

Comment

I have Nissan Leaf batteries in my racing golf cart. I really like them. But they are not available to consumers yet. The only two ways to get them is either the old pre 2013 that have heat issues, or a salvaged vehicle. I got mine from a salvaged vehicle. Only way to get new ones is from a Nissan dealer to replace an existing battery you have to trade in. So far no fool has done that. That is why you can find so many used EV's dirt cheap, no one can afford to replace the battery.

As for Solar they could be used, but everything would have to be proprietary just like Tesla's garbage Powerwall that does not exist in any meaningful numbers. Just smoke and mirrors. Nissan Leaf batteries are LMC and not compatible with any Pb battery systems the consumer can purchase. Everything you can buy is made for 12, 24, 48, 60, and 96 volts. Leaf cells nominal voltage is 3.75 volts just not work. Example a 3S pack voltage would range from 12.6 volts down to 9 volts. A 4S pack operates from 16.8 down to 12. That just does not work as 12 volt equipment is designed to work 14 to 10.5 volts. It can certainly be done, but the equipment would have to be designed to operate of that voltage range.

Like the Powerwall or any manufactured product, they are not foolish enough to use low voltages of 12, 24, or 48 volts. That would be just plain stupid of them to do that. It is just to expensive and inefficient. Instead they would operate battery voltages up in the 250 to 600 volt range. To do that and comply with UL, CE, NEC, and other consumer safety and electrical codes requires the batteries and electrical inaccessible to the user. They will also use a voltage and equipment that suits their needs and not compatible with any other system. All that means is expensive all the way around.
        MSEE, PE

Comment

Originally posted by Sunking View Post
          Like the Powerwall or any manufactured product, they are not foolish enough to use low voltages of 12, 24, or 48 volts. That would be just plain stupid of them to do that. It is just to expensive and inefficient.
          Both BMW and LG are introducing lithium chemistry 48 volt batteries for residential energy storage.

Comment

Originally posted by jflorey2 View Post
            Both BMW and LG are introducing lithium chemistry 48 volt batteries for residential energy storage.
            Sure they are. Chicken have lips and you can buy a Powerwall.

MSEE, PE

Comment

Well, they may well and probably are going to do something like that, as will a bunch of other outfits. Among things to be discovered: When, how much, how practical, how will POCO tariffs affect cost effectiveness, lots of other questions........??

Comment

Originally posted by SWFLA View Post
                I will stick with Trojan man.
                I hate it when those things stick.

Comment

They, like any company, go where the money is. And right now people are putting in 48V systems, like the Sonnen system. That may change as used EV batteries make 400V battery systems cheaper.

Comment

They, like any company, go where the money is. And right now people are putting in 48V systems, like the Sonnen system. That may change as used EV batteries make 400V battery systems cheaper.
                    More smoke, no fire. Show me a link where I can order and have delivered next week. A minute ago it was BMW and LG. Now it is some other pretender called Sonnen (German for solar)

Last edited by Sunking; 05-07-2017, 07:30 PM.
                    MSEE, PE

Comment

Originally posted by J.P.M. View Post

Well, they may well and probably are going to do something like that, as will a bunch of other outfits. Among things to be discovered: When, how much, how practical, how will POCO tariffs affect cost effectiveness, lots of other questions........??
                      That is my point. Show me a product I can order today and have delivered next week. Money talks, BS walks.
                      MSEE, PE

Comment

That is my point. Show me a product I can order today and have delivered next week. Money talks, BS walks.
                        So let the beta testers, early adoptors and treehuggers who have more $$ than brains buy the stuff and knock themselves and the kinks out. Nothing new there.

Comment

Originally posted by J.P.M. View Post

So let the beta testers, early adoptors and treehuggers who have more $$ than brains buy the stuff and knock themselves and the kinks out. Nothing new there.
                          That i show I do it.
                          MSEE, PE

Comment

More smoke, no fire. Show me a link where I can order and have delivered next week.
                            We got ours from a local company called CED Greentech.

Comment

We got ours from a local company called CED Greentech.
                              Well I asked for a Link and you gave me SMOKE.

MSEE, PE

Comment

Working...
                              X