Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PNjunction
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jul 2012

Hi Reed - looks like you are doing good so far. I've got some additional GBS cells headed my way, so your timing is good.

When you say you've reached float, I hope that your float voltage (which is unnecessary for lifepo4,) is not high, and low enough to be benign, although still active. If you could disable float, that would be even better.

In regards to your question - this brings up something I'm researching right now about "micro-cycle" life degradation of LFP. From what I've garnered so far, doing a micro-cycle repetetively leads to higher internal resistance and loss of capacity. But what exactly a micro-cycle is for LFP I'm still researching. Is it 10% DOD, 20%, 30% ?? Maybe Sunking can help us out here.

This is a different issue than overall charge voltage, which hopefully you've lowered to around 3.45 - 3.5v per cell. No need to go higher unless you need that for balancing purposes.

While I'm researching the micro-cycle DOD issue, I'm going to try and achieve at least 20-30% DOD per cycle to CYA. Perhaps it is less, I don't know yet. T1 Terry may have more info than I do about it. Heh, in your case with over-capacity, perhaps an even lower voltage would be advisable, like 3.4 volts so you cycle starting from 20% DOD right off the bat in a PSOC environment. Maybe just a weekly 3.5/3.6v higher voltage to check balance.

Interesting update: I found on some recent CALB spec sheets, in addition to the normal HVC and LVC damage points, along with "recommended" normal use voltages, suddenly there appeared a spec for "recommended DOD" cycling! Guess what - they list as 10-90% DOD, emphasizing the need to not always charge up to 100% SOC. Personally, I'm not going to go as low as 90% DOD, as I find that I'm well into the steep discharge knee at that point. (at least with my GBS cells).

Comment

• Sunking
      Solar Fanatic
      • Feb 2010

PN who are you buying Calb cells from. You can PM me if you prefer. I gotta guy up in Oregon who is a licensed dealer with fair prices.
      MSEE, PE

Comment

• PNjunction
        Solar Fanatic
        • Jul 2012

Actually nobody because I'm using GBS cells. but thanks for the info! Perhaps others might be interested!

If I had to get CALB, I'd probably prefer the newer gray versions, but then again, in a house-bank, the slightly older blue case ones would be fine I think.

At this stage, I really didn't care among GBS, CALB, or Winston - it is what they had at batteryspace. Ironically, most places to get these are EV sources, and accordingly are bms-centric if that's your thing, but you can get cells without them if you desire.

Since batteryspace isn't EV specific, they had a lot of the stuff I needed already put together, such as all the individual cell links, strapped (or just wrapped in a plastic box), hex keys, and assorted odds and ends like individual-cell 3.6v chargers yada yada. I made sure I was getting the blue prismatic cells, and not the higher powered cylindricals. Whatever you do, make sure you get all the proper cell-links AND possibly a set of end-terminal connectors. In other words, don't half-a** connections with speaker wire if you forgot to get these at the same time.

Comment

• Sunking
          Solar Fanatic
          • Feb 2010

Originally posted by PNjunction
          Ironically, most places to get these are EV sources, and accordingly are bms-centric if that's your thing, but you can get cells without them if you desire.
          Not so sure that is Ironic or not because EV's are the only item you can justify the expense of using a large LFP battery, and you would for dang sure use a BMS to protect your investment. All the R&D in lithium is being driven by the EV market. RE applications will just be a secondary market that benefits from EV technology. Until there are controllers/BMS made for RE I do not see it going anywhere fast. Right now as it stands lithium cannot compete in the RE sector. I think that will change sometime in the future, but still a good ways off in the future.

With that said I would love to be on the ground floor or major investor of a company who comes up with a Lithium battery that has cycle life of 10,000 cycles, 5C charge/discharge rate, 300 to 400 wh/liter specific energy density,and $0.30/watt-hour cost. You would quickly become the biggest company in the world and can easily have a monopoly in the energy market. Heck you would not even need a factory or many employees, just license out the product to every battery manufacture out there and collect a royalty and make a few dollars off every human being on the planet many times over. Kind of scary of the kind of power that would give a company or group of individuals.
          MSEE, PE

Comment

• PNjunction
            Solar Fanatic
            • Jul 2012

Originally posted by Sunking
            Until there are controllers/BMS made for RE I do not see it going anywhere fast. Right now as it stands lithium cannot compete in the RE sector. I think that will change sometime in the future, but still a good ways off in the future.
            There are a few. Genasun / Mastervolt at the top. But how about something more down to earth:

or this:
            The mission of Elite Power Solutions is to provide integrated Lithium Ion battery solutions for home energy storage system, golf cart battery system, portable solar energy storage system, battery management system(BMS), Utility truck system, Reefer, boom Truck, police car, border patrol, RV and sol

These are just two.

That being said, I don't need the insurance as I have my own hvc (charger / controller appropriately set), lvc (proper planning, monitoring, and worst-case, inverter shutoff), and balancing (initial balance with small resistive load after a full charge to bring all cells down to 3.45-3.5v) - they stay that way since I'm not doing high-C current, which in this case high-c means 1C or higher!

Imagine if you powered a handheld transistor radio from your RC packs. (different chemistry of course). Cost? My exploratory 20ah bank (16ah usable down to 80% DOD) costs just about the same or even a little less than a roughly equivalent pure-lead 38ah Optima D51 Yellowtop (19ah usable down to 50% DOD). And that's just cost alone, but when you factor in twice the cycle life, it puts it ahead. Then there are the other characteristics that battery-geeks like us dig, like minimal Peukert yada yada.

In all seriousness, YOU are the last person I would BS or try to persuade with fan-boy / green / unsafe diy enthusiasm. While these cells won't do the cycles and rates you are talking about, how about HALF of what you mentioned? You can if you don't take them to the extremes. Default for these prismatics is 2K cycles down to 80% DOD, at .5C. Even more if you treat them like we normally do in a house-bank situation where we do FAR less.

Do I have to drop-ship a 4S set of CALB's to you? Of all people, I really think you'd enjoy it.

Comment

• Sunking
              Solar Fanatic
              • Feb 2010

In all seriousness, YOU are the last person I would BS or try to persuade with fan-boy / green / unsafe diy enthusiasm.
              I know you were not trying to put one over on me, and I hope I did not come across making you think I thought you were. I have no problem with you or your experimenting. It can be a fun hobby while educational at the same time. All I am saying is RE i snot driving Lithium battery development, it is EV driving that cart. RE will just be a side beneficiary of the EV market. Real easy to tell when that time comes when you see the major manufactures offering charge controllers with BMS to work on LFP or like batteries.

Do I have to drop-ship a 4S set of CALB's to you? Of all people, I really think you'd enjoy it.
              LOL. Only thing I use LFP for is RC planes and my racing Golf Cart I sold before moving. Still have my NEV though.

Having said that I just bought a used Golf Cart to make me another Racing Golf Cart. This one will be different and built to go 40 to 50 mph rather than 0 to 30 in a second. Looking to do a 90 volt system using a Brushless PM motor. Intend to use 96 volt 100 to 150 AH LFP pack on a 500 amp Electronic Speed Controller. Down here in Panama I can get away with driving one around town. I just need it to go fast enough as not to get ran over, and climb the hills with at least a 20 mile range. Going to have to re-do the suspension and braking system to be able to handle the higher speeds safely.
              MSEE, PE

Comment

• PNjunction
                Solar Fanatic
                • Jul 2012

Originally posted by Sunking
                Real easy to tell when that time comes when you see the major manufactures offering charge controllers with BMS to work on LFP or like batteries.
                You'll be waiting forever for that. They've known about it for about 15 years, but from a business standpoint, as soon as they step out the door they'd be hit with patent-trolls, litigation and warrantee claims from duffers, not to mention just seeing no need to disturb the existing stock of Pb inventory. They WANT you to think that LiFePo4 is only for niche markets, lab-rats, or perhaps the endless 5-years-from-now wait. We're STILL waiting for Concord to come forward with theirs, and if anyone was to produce a LiFePo4 that I could get my hands on, it would be from them. The problem is that there is no indication that they will actually bring it to the consumer market. I'm moving forward. I can take my tinfoil conspiracy hat off now.

Having said that I just bought a used Golf Cart to make me another Racing Golf Cart. This one will be different and built to go 40 to 50 mph rather than 0 to 30 in a second. Looking to do a 90 volt system using a Brushless PM motor. Intend to use 96 volt 100 to 150 AH LFP pack on a 500 amp Electronic Speed Controller.
                Awesome! Whether you do tppl pure lead with that, or perhaps even LiFePo4 for your, um, niche project, be sure to look at what these guys who do:
                A disabled wheelchair engineer with detailed knowledge of vehicles modified to allow wheelchair access and also to drive from and much powerchair information.

and

They can do 40-50 drags. Or 4x4. Definitely related, just a different form factor.

Comment

• Sunking
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Feb 2010

Awesome! Whether you do tppl pure lead with that, or perhaps even LiFePo4 for your, um, niche project, be sure to look at what these guys who do:
                  A disabled wheelchair engineer with detailed knowledge of vehicles modified to allow wheelchair access and also to drive from and much powerchair information.

and

They can do 40-50 drags. Or 4x4. Definitely related, just a different form factor.
                  To get the range and speed no choice but LFP. Pb just does not have either the Specific Energy, or Energy Density to fit in the compartment and still be lite enough to cut the mustard. I hang out on a DIY EV forum where there are a lot of industry pros and it is pretty easy to do what I want using off the shelf products for the DIY EV market. Lot of motors, controllers, and batteries around. Only issue is the suspension and brakes. Fortunately there are a lot of golf Cart custom shops that do exactly what I want and have the parts to make it happen. If all I wanted is 30 mph is extremely easy using OEM parts dirt cheap. Going 50 for 20 miles is easy and cheap. Going 50 safely is a bit expensive in a cart designed to only go 20. All the suspension and braking has to be modified. Basically hydraulic disc breaks, and independent suspension vs solid rear axle and drum breaks carts come with.
                  MSEE, PE

Comment

• PNjunction
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Jul 2012

Originally posted by reed cundiff
                    There were remarks earlier on this thread about problems in keeping LFP at to high a charge. Should we discharge them more fully.
                    Reed and Elaine
                    Sorry about that Reed - forgot to mention that from a user I trust, to avoid a mini-cycle, it is best to discharge no less than 20% SOC. I'll leave that to your monitoring to figure out.

If you have plenty of capacity, I see no need to charge higher than about 3.5v per cell, often less at 3.45v per cell. I don't get too hung up over "end amps" like C/20 since I have way more capacity than needed, and you don't NEED to charge LiFePo4 up to full each and every time. In fact, 3.45v will get you very close to full anyway, barring some manufacturing differences.

Comment

• reed cundiff
                      • Nov 2013

PN thanks for your useful rep!ies. We usually leave the inverter on full time all night (we have the battery suite so why not). This is about a 50 W phantom and we are down -1500 W at dawn so we are about 15 to 18% DOD. May jusr leave the fa
                      Fridge on electric overnight as we are then only down 30%. Am still in PbS frame of mind after a year with LFP but am slowly ac spring 80% instead of 40% DOD. Am following so similar discussions at Road Net and most folks are clueless there, many seem to think that a PbS has 100% DOD and do not understand the weight/volume advantages for a trailer/caravan. Every third or fourth comment brings up the fire danger if lithium coba!t.

Comment

• reed cundiff
                        • Nov 2013

As others have noted on this thread, the LFP batteries and BMS that have been developed for Electric cars/motorcycles etc. Our son has contacted Mazanita to see if they could adapt the BMS for RV/remote site usage. Have not heard how this has gone.
                        Reeed

Comment

• PNjunction
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Jul 2012

The misinformation makes for good headlines and newsbytes. It doesn't have to be accurate any more, sadly.

Funny you should bring up the Manzanita. Instead of hashing it all out here, I just plainly do without a balancing system after testing, but understand those that feel the need.

I recently tested out a 20ah and 40ah 4S block of GBS batteries, and came to my own conclusions. It might be interesting if you can take a week off work to read it.

To see what the marine guys have been going gaga over for the past few years, I decided to pick up some smaller capacity GBS LiFePo4 batteries for some test runs before going large scale.

I just finished my discharge testing and came to some enlightening conclusions. You may not feel the same way, but is just to let you know where I'm at in this stage of the game because I truly feel I could build a larger Kw system with at least some understanding now...

Comment

• reed cundiff
                            • Nov 2013

the big woods.jpg
                            We contacted a National Park Service CG about possible solar friendly sites on the Olympic Peninsula. The gracious lady gently chided me "Sir, this is a rain forest, there are no spots where solar panels will be of much use!" We wound up staying at Klawhoya National Forest CG for those six days. We checked our solar/battery monitoring system several times each day. At the end of six days were were down 55% DOD and had used the inverter every day for microwave, charging computers and watching Mystery Theater on DVD. We could have lasted another 4 days before we reached 80% DOD. The attached photo shows our site. It was most green and beautiful.
                            Reed andElaine

Comment

• PNjunction
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Jul 2012

Wow - beautiful!

You bring up a point about lifepo4 with their ability to go down to 80% DOD - don't be tempted to design your solar system around that 80% DOD percentage! Stick to 50% or so like with any chemistry, and you'll have a nice reserve for times like this.

Lifepo4 is like riding a Harley - until you do, you can never truly describe the feeling.

Comment

• reed cundiff
                                • Nov 2013

PNjunction - We seldom go below 30% DOD but we just wanted to see how far we could go but I was satisfied with 55% DOD and 52.1V (with 54.4 V system). Son put a sheet next to monitors that we should not below 3.1 V per cell and 49.1 V for suite.

I rode BMWs for a few years and about 100,000 miles. That was 35 years ago (uh, been married for 35 years)\
                                Reed

Comment

Working...