Question please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question please

Hi, I have a load of 88 Milliwatts (LED Lights) what battery would I need to run them for 12 hours? would a small garden tractor battery work , 150 CCA ? I can't get a amp hour rating for it, not even sure how to do the math if I did..

Hunter29,

That battery should have no problem at all running that small of load for that time. I am assuming that the LED light is 12 volt. I use those type of batteries to run multiple 2 watt LED lights as portable lighting. That battery should be about 30-40 a.h. but those batteries sometimes do not have that rating posted on them. I'm speaking from some expereince here as I have used small garden tractor batteries to charge my portable power tools in the field and that load is much larger than the load you are proposing. I would think more like multiple days to weeks at that duty. Would make a good portable camp light if that is what you have in mind.

Comment

If you can find a Reserve Amps rating for the battery, that can be used to calculate an approximate amp-hour rating. Let us know.
      SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

Originally posted by Tecnodave View Post
        Hunter29,

That battery should have no problem at all running that small of load for that time..
        You have no fricking clue what you are talking about and should not be answering any questions. You are as clueless as the OP with the Blind leading the Blind. OP clearly said:

[QUOTE] I have a load of 88 Milliwatts (LED Lights) what battery would I need to run them for 12 hours? [/QUOTE}

So please explain in full detail how you could possible answer as the OP when in fact the OP did not give one single thing for anyone to work with. Exactly how may watts is a LOAD of 88 mw LED's.

No one can answer the question as it is complete nonsense.
        MSEE, PE

Comment

[QUOTE=Sunking;n397740]

You have no fricking clue what you are talking about and should not be answering any questions. You are as clueless as the OP with the Blind leading the Blind. OP clearly said:

I have a load of 88 Milliwatts (LED Lights) what battery would I need to run them for 12 hours? [/QUOTE}

So please explain in full detail how you could possible answer as the OP when in fact the OP did not give one single thing for anyone to work with. Exactly how may watts is a LOAD of 88 mw LED's.

No one can answer the question as it is complete nonsense.
          Well not nonsense but I agree it is lacking a few details to help the OP.

Comment

[QUOTE=SunEagle;n397743]
            Originally posted by Sunking View Post
            Well not nonsense but I agree it is lacking a few details to help the OP.
            Lacking any detail is nonsense in my book. How fast does a plane fly is a nonsense question.

OP what is lacking is the number of the LED's and how much power the driver uses. All we know is your LED uses 88 mw. However most inexpensive LED's friver consumes more power than the LED. Your question cannot be answered.
            Last edited by Sunking; 05-26-2019, 11:03 AM.
            MSEE, PE

Comment

Sunking,

I had quite enough information, I assumed that the OP did not measure each individual led but was measuring the fixture. 88 milliwatts is .088 watt and a small garden tractor battery is 30-40 amp hours usually. Depends on the size of the mower. A riding mower with a 24 hp. engine will have a larger battery than a small mower. I have only a bit of data to work with and gave as precise an answer as the question deserved. I don't need all the engineering data of the LED and the battery to make an educated guesstimate as to what is needed. It's called expereince as I noted that I do have small portable LED lites that are powered by small batteries.
              88 milliwatts times 12 hours is 1.056 watts, are you telling me that a battery of 150 cranking amps cannot deliver 1.056 watts over a 12 hour span?

Im not here to get in a pissing match with you. I'm here to learn and share. I'm no newcomer to electricity. Feel free to not comment on what I say as I do not comment on what you say

david
              Last edited by Tecnodave; 05-26-2019, 11:39 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the replys, I cant offer anymore info, tried to get the amp hour rating from O'reillys where I bought it but they did not know at the corporate office.

Comment

Hunter29,

if if you give a bit more precise detail you will get a more precise answer. I spoke from expereince, not engineering data , 88 milliwatts is a very small led , is that the current for the LED fixture or the data for a single led by itself.

i will choose not to respond to anyone that uses disguised profanity as a response to a newcomers request for information. I do the best to help understand the issue that the poster posted.

david

Comment

It is 4 LED's. 22MW each, I may even go with just two, the project is a lit address sign so I don't need a lot of light. The LED's i'm using are license plate lights..

Comment

Originally posted by hunter29 View Post
                      It is 4 LED's. 22MW each,
                      OK that reads quite a bit different and makes sense. However you would not want to use a SLI battery like a tractor or car battery. What is an SLI battery? One that only specifies a CCA. That is why you cannot determine aan AH rating. Only thing CCA can tell you is a 12 volt battery internal resistance at 0 degrees F.

Having said that 88 mw @ 12 volts is .07 amps. With a extremely small 10 AH battery would give you on paper 10 AH / .07 A = 142 hours.

MSEE, PE

Comment

How about a deep cycle marine battery? Or could anyone recommend one that will work with my Regony controller..

Something like this ?

https://www.amazon.com/Mighty-Max-Ba...gateway&sr=8-6
                        Last edited by hunter29; 05-26-2019, 01:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by hunter29 View Post
                          How about a deep cycle marine battery? Or could anyone recommend one that will work with my Regony controller..

Something like this ?

https://www.amazon.com/Mighty-Max-Ba...gateway&sr=8-6
                          A deep cycle marine battery is only marginally better for this purpose than a standard car battery. The next cheapest and most readily available alternative battery type would be the golf cart battery. These are designed for deep cycling repeatedly,
                          The best would be a Flooded Lead Acid battery designed and advertised for RE (Renwable Energy) use. but these command a premium price, in part because the contain more lead than a conventional vehicle battery.
                          SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

IMHO, a pair golf cart batterys is so overkill for an .001 kW/h per day load. (88mw. times 8 hours) that I would not even consider it to light a street address sign. Personally I use commonly available exit sign or burglar alarm gel batteries commonly available at Home Depot for 14 bucks, no controller, a less than 10 watt or so panel and a Zener diode to shunt regulate the voltage with a system that might use a few watts a night. I don't need a 6000 pound four wheel drive to move my 150 pound body either.

And yes a gel battery is not a good choice for a full blown solar system, nor is a RV/marine deep cycle. And , yes, a golf cart battery is the best choice for a small solar system for a cabin or motorhome but is huge overkill for this application.

you could easily power all 4 LED lites with what I have suggested. Don't even bother to turn them off in daytime.

I did read the entire thread.............I'm going to assume other responders did not......

Hunter29, most posters on this forum are focusing on whole house systems, not tiny systems such as you need

just my humble opinion........David
                            Last edited by Tecnodave; 05-27-2019, 06:34 AM.

Comment

That 35Ah AGM battery is pretty commonly used in mobility carts and can handle a lot of deep cycles in their lifetime. For the LED project it should work just find.

Comment

Working...
                              X