X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ampster
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jun 2017

Originally posted by SunEagle

Tom. It still depends on what you would be paying for electricity from your POCO. You may be getting cheaper power from you battery/solar system but I seriously doubt the majority of people in the US or elsewhere can make the same claim.

All I ask is that you temper your statement by at least stating where you live and what your POCO charges for a kWh.
    California is the second most populous state and battery supported grid tied systems are selling quite well there. Yes there are subsidies on some of those systems. Tesla has no more SGIP money but people continue to buy Powerwalls. I apologize if that creates the allusion that other people are "bad people".
    Tom has already stated that his power costs $0.45 per kWhr.
    If this is such an important topic for you or J.P.M. why dont you create a separate topic? You might get a few more meaningful comments.
    Last edited by Ampster; 03-11-2019, 11:35 AM.
    9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

• SunEagle
      Super Moderator
      • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Ampster
      California is the second most populous state and battery supported grid tied systems are selling quite well there. Yes there are subsidies on some of those systems. Tesla has no more SGIP money but people continue to buy Powerwalls. I apologize if that creates the allusion that other people are "bad people".
      Tom has already stated that his power costs $0.45 per kWhr.
      If this is such an important topic for you or J.P.M. why dont you create a separate topic? You might get a few more meaningful comments.
      Maybe you are right in that a new topic needs to be created since the OP is now a Guest and probably long gone.

Don't apologize for any allusion you think you have created. There are a number of members that live either in CA, HI or New England that can "justify" using a battery along with their solar pv system and have stated and believe they are correct. But the reason is due to the very high electric rates in those areas.

I have always believed a grid tie system has an ROI and ends up being cheaper then purchasing all of your kWh from any POCO at any cost. The ROI just changes.

But unless you get your batteries free or very cheap and decide to live a life style of near zero power consumption I have a hard time believing it is cheaper to be off grid then on.

Comment

• Ampster
        Solar Fanatic
        • Jun 2017

Originally posted by SunEagle

But unless you get your batteries free or very cheap and decide to live a life style of near zero power consumption I have a hard time believing it is cheaper to be off grid then on.
        There is a subtle difference between off grid and self consumption (Aso sometimes referred to as Net Zero). The latter uses the grid for redundancy and therefore the extra layer and cost of a generator isn't there. I use the term Net Zero loosely because some would argue to be truly Net Zero one would have to include transportation. While I have EVs and mostly charge at my home, I also travel by plane, ferry and charge away from the home with unknown sources of electricity.

Comment

• J.P.M.
          Solar Fanatic
          • Aug 2013

About a dozen people participated in this thread and it had almost 500 views. Does anyone know what the views are of those lurkers?
          Assuming that lurkers are not members of this forum and so not allowed to post, there is no easy way to communicate with those folks.

So, I'd suggest the above question is moot, that is, a question asked in such a way as to be open to debate or discussion. But, since it seems lurkers' responses are necessary information to discuss your question, and since they cannot, or won't, by definition, respond, it seems you pose a moot question with no way to get a resolution.

The same question can be asked of any thread and any lukers. So, unless you ask in a rhetorical sense, with no way to get what seems to be necessary information ("Hey all you lurkers, what do you think ?" - how does that work ?) an answer or more information from those unable to answer is a dead end. So, what's the sense in asking ?

Comment

• SunEagle
            Super Moderator
            • Oct 2012

There is a subtle difference between off grid and self consumption (Aso sometimes referred to as Net Zero). The latter uses the grid for redundancy and therefore the extra layer and cost of a generator isn't there. I use the term Net Zero loosely because some would argue to be truly Net Zero one would have to include transportation. While I have EVs and mostly charge at my home, I also travel by plane, ferry and charge away from the home with unknown sources of electricity.

And I agree that you have a better installation using grid tie with battery backup then just an off grid system.

I understand the concept of Net Zero and applaud the new codes to make a building more efficient. I am also willing to find any way I can reduce my electrical footprint provided it does not drastically change my current life style.

I have had way too many past incidents (industrial, commercial & home) when it comes to batteries and simple do not trust them to "be there" when I really need them. Along with the cost being so high (for now) I would rather invest in SNR technology.

We each have a reason to utilize solar. I am not one of those that feel we need to eliminate all forms of carbon producing electrical generation. I would rather have more reliable power which IMO comes in multiple forms and uses. So for now batteries, as a home energy storage system is just not on my radar.

Comment

• Bala
              Solar Fanatic
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by tom rickard
              Bala. Thankyou for perfectly illustrating my point. 12 years ago the options for off-grid were poor, and the systems weren't as capable as they are now. Times have changed.

Assuming all components will fail at the end of their warranty period, it will still be cheaper for me to have off-grid power than connect to grid. This is an example of a professionally installed system capable of delivering 20kwh daily.

System components:
              SMA Sunny Island 8.0
              SMA SunnyBoy SB 5.0
              BYD BBox (8 units) 20kwh
              5kw panels
              Auto Start genset (your choice, approx $5k)

Fully installed for $30k, warranty on all components except genset is 10 years, all components are changeover under warranty.

In Australia there have been thousands of this type of system installed, the technology has been verified over the last decade..
              I feel you are not including all factors in your costing.

Byd warranty is 10 years, but only for 60% capacity, or a set amount of through out.

sunny island 5 years or you can buy more.

generator running expenses??? Who is going to service and maintain it. $100 an hrs in Australia if you can get someone to come out.

then you have the problem of actually claiming warranty. Each vendor simply blames the other. Or they did some little thing to good warranty.

There is also capital outlay consideration.

I feel a blanket statement saying stand alone is a direct replacement cost wise to grid is misleading.

It has its place for sure but only when all the facts are on the tablet

Comment

• Ampster
                Solar Fanatic
                • Jun 2017

Originally posted by J.P.M.
                So, what's the sense in asking ?
                It was a rhetorical question with an alluson. If you didnt get it, not worth my time explaining.

Comment

• Sunking
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Feb 2010

Where i live, electricity costs around 45c/kwh.
                  Snowflake you are a moron. I pay 8-cents per Kwh. You believe in nonsense. That is what they tech in schools to Snowflakes and Millennials. The world is not a nice place, grow some balls and deal with it. .

MSEE, PE

Comment

• tom rickard
                    • May 2015

Originally posted by Sunking

Snowflake you are a moron. I pay 8-cents per Kwh. You believe in nonsense. That is what they tech in schools to Snowflakes and Millennials. The world is not a nice place, grow some balls and deal with it. .
                    You are a freaking genius, of course it would have been much cheaper for me to move my family overseas to get cheaper electricity rather than install battery/solar..

That about sums up your level of advice!

Comment

• SunEagle
                      Super Moderator
                      • Oct 2012

You are a freaking genius, of course it would have been much cheaper for me to move my family overseas to get cheaper electricity rather than install battery/solar..

That about sums up your level of advice!
                      Actually SK is back in Oklahoma but then again your ability to move to find a lower cost power is probably not a good idea.

What I don't understand is why people have to justify the purchase of batteries because they pay so much for power from their POCO. It would be less costly if someone with high electric rates to just reduce their usage instead of buying something that does not last a long time to "solve the problem". Conservation is still the cheapest way to save money by reducing your electrical footprint.

Comment

Working...