• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sunking
    Solar Fanatic
    • Feb 2010

Originally posted by spilegi
    I'd like to fix it if possible before problems arise,,
    You cannot fix it, law of physics will not allow you to fix it. You have not offended anyone but yourself. You will soon figure it out when your wallet beats the crap out of you, gets your attention, and teaches you the hard way by loosing a lot of money.

What you do not know is batteries cost money and have a negative EROI. Basically that means they will never give you more energy than was put into them to make the. Sure the POCO is ripping you off at 30-cents per Kwh. Geez and rice where I live is less than 10-cents, si I understand why you think you are being robbed, you are. But what you do not understand if you buy quality batteries that give you the best rate of return for your investment the energy in battery cost alone is going to be $1 per Kwh. I do not know what math democrats are taught, but us independents and libertarians know 30-cents per Kwh is less than $1 per Kwh. However you can only get it down to $1 per Kwh by using optimum design and quality batteries which you are not doing, so in the end, you will be replacing your batteries more frequently every year or two when your wallet finally throws a fit and teaches you a lesson. There will be no one to blame but yourself for not understanding what you are doing.

Do you want to also talk about the cost of all the other equipment to make the batteries work? It really get ugly. Not only wil it cost you more, you just because a very heavy dirty polluter. Why? That negative EROI thing again. At 50% efficient overall you used twice as much power to make the batteries that is never recovered. You just robbed your children of resources and added a lot more pollution to the air.

There is no way to win with off-grid solar. The law of physics will not allow it. To bad schools today do not teach math and science anymore.

MSEE, PE

Comment

• tom rickard
      • May 2015

Sunking is totally incorrect in saying you won't get more energy out of a battery than it takes to create it.

Don't worry about the negativity on this forum, it's just the way a few people communicate! Don't take it to heart.

For your batteries for as long as possible, make sure they all stay at equal state of charge, and don't discharge below 70%.

Your charge controller should take care of the rest of the requirements.

Good luck

Comment

Tom Rickard,

Thank you for the advice, and the kind words. It's kinda scary how a simple question about if I should go lower into my DOD, on my Solar Backup system, tuned into I'm an idiot, and should tear it all down lol. I thought this was a forum, for hobbyist into the idea of solar, but I think I'm going to find a nicer forum, where beginners can ask questions without being insulted by multiple members just for asking questions.

Comment

• greencrusader
          • Apr 2017

Originally posted by tom rickard
          Sunking is totally incorrect in saying you won't get more energy out of a battery than it takes to create it.
          Could you please cite your sources for this information? I've been interested in this for a long time and it's hard to find anything definitive.

Greencrusader
          World peace through green energy

Comment

• J.P.M.
            Solar Fanatic
            • Aug 2013

Originally posted by greencrusader
            Could you please cite your sources for this information? I've been interested in this for a long time and it's hard to find anything definitive.

Greencrusader
            I'd go the source: The Second Law of Thermodynamics, or, you can't fool Mother Nature.

Comment

• SunEagle
              Super Moderator
              • Oct 2012

Originally posted by spilegi
              SunEagle, I'm not sure where all the negativity is coming from? I'm sorry if I've offended you. I'm just trying to ask a question and get an answer. Nothing I've said was meant to be negative. This has been a fun project for me creating an emergency power system, but using that solar power too. What would the expected lifespan of this battery setup be? If i'm doing something wrong, I'd like to fix it if possible before problems arise, or modify how I use it so it lasts longer.

Thanks in advance for any assistance,
              I am trying to also be nice by pointing out that a large battery system made up of multiple parallel strings will never get you the number of desired cycles. Since the cycle count will go down so will the kWh output the system can generate over it's life. Even at $100 per battery and $0.30/kWh from the POCO I still don't believe you are saving money using a battery system.

If I can't convince you that batteries are will not save you $ then so be it.

Comment

• J.P.M.
                Solar Fanatic
                • Aug 2013

Don't worry about the negativity on this forum, it's just the way a few people communicate! Don't take it to heart.

For your batteries for as long as possible, make sure they all stay at equal state of charge, and don't discharge below 70%.

Your charge controller should take care of the rest of the requirements.

Good luck
                Well, first and foremost, Disabuse yourself of the notion (if you have such a notion) that batteries create energy. They store some of what gets put into them, and never with 100 % efficiency. That means less comes out than went in. Always.

Second, and with that in mind, it may be helpful to keep in mind that batteries are no more than a temporary storage vessel for energy.

Those who draw some false equivalence between energy required to create a battery and the energy that passes through it (with some energy always lost in the process BTW) are looking at the whole thing incorrectly. Doing so is ignorant, incorrect and misleading, but suit yourself.

As for what you call negativity in the way some informed and experienced people see reality - some folks generally prefer to deal with reality as it is, not what they simply like. That's one of the traits and also a result of critical thinking rather than wishful or simplistic, or non thinking.

If some others say such more informed opinions express negativity, it may be because of those others' ignorance of such realities of the physics involved, and/or an inability to confront a Hobson's choice of either admitting their ignorance or making life more difficult than their ill conceived preordained and often ignorant notions can admit.

FWIW, by their very operation, batteries use energy due to their less than 100 % efficient input --->>>> storage --->>> discharge operation. That's OK, and unavoidable. The Second Law of Thermodynamics, or more generally the principle of Entropy striking as it always does.

But what all that means is your statement "Sunking is totally incorrect in saying you won't get more energy out of a battery than it takes to create it." is itself incorrect, totally or otherwise.

Comment

• tom rickard
                  • May 2015

The battery is used to store energy from the sun.

Over it's lifetime it will be able to store more energy than was used in it's creation.

Sorry i had to dumb it down so much for you.

What you call reality is just not quite real..

I forgive you, i still hear people say PV cells take more energy to create than they will return.

Without full knowledge of the original posters power system i can't comment on if it will save him money, best we can do is offer him sound advice on making his batteries last as long as possible.

Comment

• Sunking
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Feb 2010

Over it's lifetime it will be able to store more energy than was used in it's creation.
                    Well that tells me and others in the battery industry you are either ignorant drinking Kool-Aid or a Liar. Which is it? When you compound the energy used to mine, smelt, assemble transport, and charge efficiency Pb battery EROI is roughly 50% and Lithium is not much better. Simple scientific fact that is not talked about by advocates and Green Mafia.
                    Last edited by Sunking; 03-06-2019, 10:30 PM.
                    MSEE, PE

Comment

• Sunking
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Feb 2010

Originally posted by greencrusader

Greencrusader
                      Well you are not going to find anything on Green Mafia sites. But to get you started. Sweeden IVL one of the most Green Minded countries in the world did a study on full life cycle of lithium batteries. Here is the link

Den sida du försökte nå kunde inte hittas, den kan vara borttagen eller flyttad. Använd i första hand sökfältet här ovanför för att söka det du letar efter.

The Life Cycle Energy Consumption and Greenhouse Gas Emissions from Lithium-Ion BatteriesA Study with Focus on Current Technology and Batteries for light-duty vehicles

Short version is a EV and its battery would have to last 20 years before there is EROI and CO2 offset. Here is some food to chew on:

Coal Plants generate roughly 50-75 times more energy that it takes to build the plant and mine the fuel.
                      NG plants 80 to 100 times.
                      Nuclear 200 times,
                      Hydro 100 times.
                      Wind Farm 10 to 15 times
                      Solar PV 5 to 7 times.

There is only one RE source that works, hydro electric. Bad news is in the USA there is no more land available for hydro. The most efficient means of Energy storage is Pump Back Lakes and Compressed Air of roughly 75 to 85% which is a negative EROI, and the lowest is any of the battery technologies.

So if anyone were really interested and deeply concerned about energy production and the enviroment, you would choose and use the most productive and highest EROI source you can possible get. Fortunately one of them is dirt cheap, highest EROI, with over 1 million years of proved fuel reserved and you are walking on it right now. Absolutely emission free of any pollutants and the safest energy source in the world.

MSEE, PE

Comment

• tom rickard
                        • May 2015

Sunking. You do realise you have conveniently linked the batteries AND the attached vehicle to come up with 20 years payback time?

Detach the batteries, and you will have a very different story

Happy reading.

Comment

• Ampster
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Jun 2017

Detach the batteries, and you will have a very different story

Happy reading.
                          Wow. So much for the $1.00 per kWhr theory of the long term cost of battery storage. Maybe that is why so many companies are entering market to replace peaker plants.
                          9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

• SunEagle
                            Super Moderator
                            • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Ampster

Wow. So much for the $1.00 per kWhr theory of the long term cost of battery storage. Maybe that is why so many companies are entering market to replace peaker plants.
                            Ampster. It still comes down to the math. Will the cost of a battery system generate enough kWh over its life that is less expensive then purchasing the same number of kWh from your POCO?

I am sure someone can get a lot of cycles out of low cost batteries and can justify using them instead of purchasing a kWh for 30 cents or more but in reality the majority of battery systems will end up costing more then what you would have paid the POCO for the same amount of kWh because the average cost of a kWh from a POCO is less than 15 cents.

Comment

• Ampster
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Jun 2017

Originally posted by SunEagle
                              Ampster. It still comes down to the math.
                              I agree, and the part of my comment that relates to peaker plants in California is all about the math. In that case spot pricing during the neck of the duck curve is very high and large grid scale short term battery storage is competitive. That is especially true because of the large growth in solar in California, it is cheaper for those installations to charge their batteries with solar than buy it from the grid. You probably don't see those kind of issues in Florida. Oddly for some reason in Australia the coal plants shut down when it gets real hot. So batteries are coming to the rescue there as well.
                              Will the cost of a battery system generate enough kWh over its life that is less expensive then purchasing the same number of kWh from your POCO?

I am sure someone can get a lot of cycles out of low cost batteries and can justify using them instead of purchasing a kWh for 30 cents or more but in reality the majority of battery systems will end up costing more then what you would have paid the POCO for the same amount of kWh because the average cost of a kWh from a POCO is less than 15 cents.
                              Your point is well made using averages, especially in parts of the country where power is less expensive. My examples are unique cases where the spot price is high for short term grid support.
                              As far as using low cost batteries, my hope is that the increase of manufacturing capacity globally to support these large installations and the growth of the EV market will result in lower cost batteries. We saw that happen wirth the price of PV panels. I am not just talking about California or the US for that matter. I am looking at global trends in Asia and India as well.
                              Last edited by Ampster; 03-07-2019, 04:35 PM.
                              9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

• Bala
                                Solar Fanatic
                                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Ampster
                                Oddly for some reason in Australia the coal plants shut down when it gets real hot. So batteries are coming to the rescue there as well.

You may find this statement is not really true.

If you google "South Australia Blackout Cause" you get info on an event in South Australia in 2016 when there was a major power blackout.

The wikipedia page is possibly a good summary.

If your not interested in reading, basically there was a severe weather event causing a lot of damage, the wind farms were not happy so shut down overloading the supply from the next state and that then shut down.

After that Elon Musk offered to supply a battery.

Comment

Working...