X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sunking
    Solar Fanatic
    • Feb 2010

Originally posted by J.P.M.
    SK: Since you're the one who broached the flatulence barrier in this thread, and as a retired Dolphin, maybe you can enlighten me. What happens or how long does a fart stay in a submarine ? Length of the cruise ?.[/FONT]
    A fart smells better than amine. Truth be told a fart only last a few seconds, but constant with 130 men crammed in a small space. Air scrubbers and ventilation whisk away the methane, CO2, and hydrogen, but nothing takes away the Amine odor. Today I do not think Amine is used in many subs anymore to scrub away CO2.

Now the real question is what happens when you pass the equator or some bonehead does not have the latrine valves set properly and you change depth and what comes gushing out of the head. As a right of passage over the Equator, even officers, have to eat a M&M candy from a fat greased up cross-dressed sailors belly button. I will not tell you what we made SEALS do when they come on board to earn their Whack Shack.

Last edited by Sunking; 11-06-2018, 10:04 PM.
    MSEE, PE

Comment

• J.P.M.
      Solar Fanatic
      • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Sunking

A fart smells better than amine. Truth be told a fart only last a few seconds, but constant with 130 men crammed in a small space. Air scrubbers and ventilation whisk away the methane, CO2, and hydrogen, but nothing takes away the Amine odor. Today I do not think Amine is used in many subs anymore to scrub away CO2.

Now the real question is what happens when you pass the equator or some bonehead does not have the latrine valves set properly and you change depth and what comes gushing out of the head. As a right of passage over the Equator, even officers, have to eat a M&M candy from a fat greased up cross-dressed sailors belly button. I will not tell you what we made SEALS do when they come on board to earn their Whack Shack.

Thank you. RUA.

I've heard stories from retired Dolphin friends including tales related to equator crossing virgins.

Don't know how you ever survived the political incorrectness. Oh, the humanity. !

Comment

• Sunking
        Solar Fanatic
        • Feb 2010

Originally posted by J.P.M.
        Don't know how you ever survived the political incorrectness. Oh, the humanity. !
        I think you got it wrong, There is no discrimination on a sub, we are equal opportunity offenders. Rank has no privileges on matters of passage, even the Skipper and XO walk the gauntlet. Look up a slang term used on U boats called "Boy Butter".

MSEE, PE

Comment

• J.P.M.
          Solar Fanatic
          • Aug 2013

I think you got it wrong, There is no discrimination on a sub, we are equal opportunity offenders. Rank has no privileges on matters of passage, even the Skipper and XO walk the gauntlet. Look up a slang term used on U boats called "Boy Butter".
          Well, and meant in a genuine and non humorous way, maybe I'm wrong, but it seems to me there is, at least in a positive sense/usage of the word. You get to choose and be discriminate to some degree to choose the e situation you serve in and in whose hands and actions you choose to trust with your life in ways most folks are clueless about.

Most Respectfully,

J.P.M.
          Last edited by J.P.M.; 11-07-2018, 01:05 PM.

Comment

• Chris1
            • Nov 2018

Doubled down on AGM. Typically AGM batteries require much higher charge rates which is still directly related to panel wattage. Use a good oure lead AGM like Concord or Odyssey require C/4 to C/2 charge rates You need that high rate to make them recombine O2 and H back to water.
            So what's the benefit of a high quality battery like the Concorde AGM over the cheaper Brand X? Lower DOD without sulfation? More charge cycles?

Comment

• Sunking
              Solar Fanatic
              • Feb 2010

Originally posted by Chris1
              So what's the benefit of a high quality battery like the Concorde AGM over the cheaper Brand X? Lower DOD without sulfation? More charge cycles?
              Many more cycles, and performance. Most battery manufactures of AGM batteries use recycled lead and alloys.

MSEE, PE

Comment

• Chris1
                • Nov 2018

Many more cycles, and performance. Most battery manufactures of AGM batteries use recycled lead and alloys.
                Okay, thanks. If I'm going to pay a 30% premium I want to think I'm getting something in return.

Comment

• Sunking
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Feb 2010

OK the main player in AGM is Concorde, but not the Military and Aircraft product lines. They make Sun Xtender (RE), Chairman (Motive), and Lifeline (RV & Marine). Another one with limited battery selection is Odyssey. Optima is like Odyssey in that they tailor to the Motor Sports and Utility Vehicle markets. Optima realy is not much of a player because of the small sizes offered only in BCI automotive case sizes. Odyssey at least make a few models large enough to be useful in small solar applications like an RV where you need a smaller battery with BIG PUNCH..

Best of the best is Concorde Sun Xtender line up.
                  MSEE, PE

Comment

• littleharbor
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Jan 2016

Fullriver has a full line of AGM Deep Cycle batteries. I've had real good performance from them.
                    2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

• jflorey2
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Aug 2015

Originally posted by Chris1
                      This may be a stupid question but here goes - Can a 24v battery bank (two 12v, 100Ah AGM batteries) be charged with a 12v solar controller?
                      To answer your question directly - yes, there are boost converters that will boost a panel's 18 volt output to the ~28 volts or so needed to charge a 24V battery bank. And will do MPPT and everything. Can't post links here so google "boost MPPT controller."

Comment

• Sunking
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Feb 2010

Originally posted by jflorey2
                        Can't post links here so google "boost MPPT controller."
                        You cannot post links, but I can. Genasun makes them and Marine rated. Their market is golf carts with these and at 24 volts limited to 200 watts input maximum.

As always if given a choice you go from higher to lower voltage. You have a choice.
                        Last edited by Sunking; 11-07-2018, 08:10 PM.
                        MSEE, PE

Comment

• Chris1
                          • Nov 2018

To answer your question directly - yes, there are boost converters that will boost a panel's 18 volt output to the ~28 volts or so needed to charge a 24V battery bank. And will do MPPT and everything. Can't post links here so google "boost MPPT controller."
                          That answers my question exactly. I don't think I've ever seen that done on an internet forum. Thanks! Sunking has inspired a new line of thinking though and now I think I'll put all my eggs into a shore based charging station.

Comment

• Chris1
                            • Nov 2018

OK the main player in AGM is Concorde, but not the Military and Aircraft product lines. They make Sun Xtender (RE), Chairman (Motive), and Lifeline (RV & Marine). Another one with limited battery selection is Odyssey. Optima is like Odyssey in that they tailor to the Motor Sports and Utility Vehicle markets. Optima realy is not much of a player because of the small sizes offered only in BCI automotive case sizes. Odyssey at least make a few models large enough to be useful in small solar applications like an RV where you need a smaller battery with BIG PUNCH..

Best of the best is Concorde Sun Xtender line up.
                            The Concorde Sun Xtender is definitely on the top of my list. From a neophyte's perspective the Vmax AGM solar batteries look okay too. Any opinion on those?

Comment

• Mike90250
                              • May 2009

...... Can't post links here so google "boost MPPT controller."
                              you can, but only one, more than that, and the post goes to moderation as suspected spam

Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                              || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                              || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                              gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• jflorey2
                                Solar Fanatic
                                • Aug 2015

Originally posted by Mike90250
                                you can, but only one, more than that, and the post goes to moderation as suspected spam
                                OK, thanks. I will try that next time.

Comment

Working...