Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The specific voltage and losses will vary between brands of controllers, battery voltage requirements and length of PV HVDC cable run.

Midnight publishes 1.3x battery voltage, however My opinion is that would be the Bulk/Absorb Voltage, since that's where the most power is required. Float and EQ don't consume a lot of current.

I have a classic 200, running 180V into it to charge a "48V" bank. With my array and fitting additional wires into conduit, I had to go with higher voltage to get lower amps, to use thinner wire. With a 2Kw array it runs fairly hot, however, ALL classics run fairly hot, they have 2 stages of fans, and the turbo fan speed is quite loud and annoying.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Originally posted by travissand View Post

We're not talking about a 24 volt system versus a 48 volt system. We all agree a 48 volt system is more efficient than a 24 in every way.
      Yes I agree with your statement but that is not what we're talking about here. We're talking about for a 24v system what voltage incoming is the most efficient. Sun King is saying the higher the better with the only limit i assume being the high incoming voltage spec for the charge controller.. I am saying the closer to battery voltage the better.
      Hate to do this to you, but you have asked for it so I am going to put you out of our misery and clearly show you are a fool and a hack who can only find work outside of the USA

1. You clearly stated you are running 6 panels in parallel. That would mean you would need a very expensive combiner with 6-fuse units and those cost a great deal of money. For 6 inputs with the fuses is going to run you $500. Multiply that by two identical arrays and you have wasted $1000 of your money. Now you compound that foolish mistake by now having to use 2 controllers another $700 waste of money and materials. Now smart money would use none of that. No Sir if it were me I would be using a 600-volt controller and wire the 12 panels 2S6P requiring no combiner, no fuses, and only using very inexpensive 14 AWG wire and save myself or my clients $1500.

2. Midnite Solar Calculator is a Spreadsheet and will work with any numbers you want to throw at it. Only thing it checks for is over wattage and voltage. Instead of using 39 volts Vmp @ 55.1 amps Imp you are running try a lower voltage = to battery charging voltage of 28.8 Vmp 74 amps Vmp. It worked right? Sure it did , bu tin practice would not work because in practice you need 36 volts minimum. With a 1 to 3 volt drop on the FET would make it a very inefficient (65%) PWM controller running @ 100% duty cycle. Again a ignorant foolish mistake.

3. Additionally running 1S6P as you are, requires you to use at least 6 AWG wire from the very expensive combiner which ?I doubt you used and makes you very dangerous on top of a fool. That will will only work up to 15-feet 1-way @ 3% voltage loss. Want 20 Feet and now up the wire size and cost to 4 AWG and now you have exceeded what the Classic Terminals can support. Smart money does not do that and knows if you cut the current in half, yeilds 400% More efficient transmission for a given size of wire. Run at least 2S3P and you can use much less expensive 10 AWG wire up to 30 feet 1-way @ 2% loss. I would go one step beyond that and use 12S1P into 48 volt battery with 14 AWG wire (4.6 amps) up to 350 feet @ less than 2% loss if needed. Not you as you prefer to waste money and resources with a lot of copper and unnecessary hardware.

4. I believe you when you say you learned what you know 30 years ago because you are stuck in the past with antiquated techniques and technology. It clearly shows because you are throwing away all the benefits of MPPT Controllers. MPPT Controllers allow you to run much higher voltages and efficiencies. Today with MPPT Controllers Input Wattage is limited by battery voltages.

12 volts up to 1000 watts
      24 volts up to 2000 watts
      48 volts up to 4000 watts.

6 x 355 watts = 2130 watts. Granted the Midnite Solar Classic 150 can do that, but you have 6 x 355 x 2 Controllers operating at a input voltage that is NOT APPLICABLE. Matters not if you like it or not, manufactures specs matter and you have completely ignored them which makes you an ignorant fool. All you have to do is look at two Charts Midnite Solar publishes for fools like you to see. Please note N/A = Not Applicable when you look at the charts. I am sure everyone else will understand what that means is not to operate at 12, or 24 volt battery @ less than 90 Vmp.

Midnite Solar Power Graphs
      Midnite Solar Wattage vs Voltage Table

Happy New Year.

MSEE, PE

Comment

Originally posted by Mike90250 View Post
        I have a classic 200, running 180V into it to charge a "48V" bank. With my array and fitting additional wires into conduit, I had to go with higher voltage to get lower amps, to use thinner wire. With a 2Kw array it runs fairly hot, however, ALL classics run fairly hot, they have 2 stages of fans, and the turbo fan speed is quite loud and annoying.
        Hey Mike. Just for your information, I have 2 arrays of 3360W each, all panels in series - each going to its own Conext MPPT 600-80 CC with 10AWG. DC input is at around 420V at each CC. Each CC is very cool, the fan doesn't even start.

Comment

Originally posted by Sunking View Post

4. I believe you when you say you learned what you know 30 years ago because you are stuck in the past with antiquated techniques and technology.
          Really? You believe what I never said? You have a habit of doing that I can tell. And I can also tell that you don't read my post. You keep on jumping to conclusions. I thoroughly explained myself and why I did what I did and financially it makes sense in my unique case which is likely not to apply two others. Your systems you design have a cheaper price tag because in your mind you keep reverting to starting from scratch. In reality a lot of people you are trolling are not starting from scratch like that and they have a lot of considerations that you are not willing to take into account as proven here by your obsessive blindness.
          You're saying I have some 400% higher efficiency loss solely because I have an all parallel set up which is totally untrue. You say 2% loss is great yet I'm only at 1%. loss in my wiring. You speak as if you don't know how long my wires are yet I've already told you. You haven't read my post thoroughly enough. Nor have you read Matrix post thoroughly.

Either you don't know how to compute percentages or you can't get it out of your head that we are not talking about doubling the battery voltage as well for the sake of this argument. Halving the current does not make a 400% difference. Halving the current is actually a 50% reduction in power loss. Doubling the current is a 250% increase.
          You're are babbling about the Midnite sizing tool in ways that has absolutely nothing to do with what I said about their tool being in error. You didn't even use it to demonstrate what I was telling you did you? You really do have no idea what I'm talking about do you? You're absolutely wrong about the graphs and you are putting meaning into them that isn't there. You're reading them upside down or you have dyslexia. They clearly show I am right. You're ignoring direct quotes by midnight. You're wrong on your wild ideas that more greatly varying voltage difference between incoming panel voltage and battery volts is more energy efficient. Honestly I wouldn't mind paying a little extra to keep my charge controller cool and quiet like the one out of four that I actually put in an all parallel configuration for the sole purpose of proving it.
          It's written all over the internet everywhere that I am correct. Everybody agrees the larger the conversion = the more heat = a less efficient charge controller. No one here is claiming it's the cheaper design to run extra thick wires and pay for more Breakers. You're barking up the wrong tree. I'm sure you've been called out on this before. I'm having a hard time trying to figure out if you are just a troll or honestly confused. You couldn't be a because I've seen you spend a lot of time providing very valuable advice.
          You say you helped Matrix design his system then why is he on a 24 volt system? I'm sure he has a good reason.
          And obviously he's not heeding your advice as much as your big head thinks. I asked Midnite tech support about these subjects and they agree with me and say the N A is an error. Your communication, comprehension, attitude and reading skills are so horrible that Im done talking to you and if I was a moderator I'd screen every single one of your posts.
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by travissand View Post
            You're saying I have some 400% higher efficiency loss solely because I have an all parallel set up which is totally untrue. You say 2% loss is great yet I'm only at 1%. loss in my wiring. You speak as if you don't know how long my wires are yet I've already told you. You haven't read my post thoroughly enough.
            OK so you do not know anything about basic electrical fundamentals. You just pretend to know what you are talking about. We run pretenders off here.

Power = I x I x R or I^2R

Even a 5th grader knows the rules of squares. If the current is 10 amps into .1 Ohms, you loose 10 watts. Increase the current to 20 amps and you loose 40 watts or 400% more smart guy.

if I was a moderator I'd screen every single one of your posts.
            30,000 post and counting, I have been here longer than the owners and all but one moderator. You are done here, now quit embarrassing yourself.
            MSEE, PE

Comment

I am tired of the pissing match. This thread is closed

Comment

Working...
              X