X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KhellQc
    • Feb 2016

Tons of easy questions for you guys

Hello everyone,

I know its a lot of question but I am just SUPER exited about understand all this. Sorry if it seems a lot

Im new in this world solar panels and battery and name it. Im trying to learn about it and the more I learn the less I know.. ahah This might not be the best place to post these questions but my concerns are mainly about batteries. Feel free to move but please let me know.

so far I managed to understand how its setup, the main component but I have question on details about it. I tried to mimic a fake probable Kw Requirements with devices and run times. Idea is a tiny house with portable fridge on DC, LED light strips, 1 burner Induction cook top, plug for laptop and maybe a pump (3600ish W). I established that my system would be on 24v. But other than that Im stuck. So im going to throw at you lots of questions if you could help me solve them, or at least understand better. Ill keep it in categories.

Panels :
    1. Do I need my panels to provide 28+v to charge a 24v battery bank ? How do you set it up, do you put 14+v Panels in series ? or is there such things as 28+v panels ?

2. Could I put them in a vented wood frame with Plexiglas to prevented from theft ?

3. Using a 4h Peak, I tried to calculate the Losses from everything, Over Time Degradation up to 20%, Temperature fluctuation up to 50%, Polycristaline Panels 15%ish, and then 30% for the AC part if I use a PWM controller. 3600x1.2x1.50x1.15 and then x1.3 if I use PWM. AM I doing this right ? if not how should I evaluate my Panels requirements

Controller :
    1. Mttp seems to be the best choice when you live in Canada and obviously want to max production but I am scared it would require a lot of knowledge and programing. Is it really?

2. I saw some have a 2nd output for the extra W not being used at peak times. I was thinking about using it to charge Power tool batteries:
    a. Is this appropriate ?
    b. Should I use a Diode ?

3. I saw some diagram that has a SHUNT on the negative side of the inverter where the controls are. what is it for ?

4. Are Mttp really that noisy ? got sensitive ears to high pitch sounds

Batteries :
    1. Deep cycle and/or Lithium of complete off grid system. ( Not sure I understand the link/difference from one to the other)

2. RC !? For a 240RC battery,2 of them (parallel or series), with a 35 Amps Consumption after PV stop charging them till when it starts changing again, lets say, over ?18hours? pan.

Would that be around be 170ish minutes or do you divide the demand on both and could last 340ish ?

3. Same with the AmpHour Rating, if the batteries are 100Ah and use 2

4. What use does a battery monitor have ? Isnt the controller telling me already how much charge is left ?

5. What types of Batteries specs would you guys suggest for my Example, 3.5 kW/day for a complete of grid system and why?

ex. 510RC because only source and next day weather is always unsure
    or Minimum Ah you wanna get is at least 75 with your actual setup.

Inverter :
    1. Am I better taking my DC straight out of the batteries to feed my Fridge, lights etc. or leave from the inverter ? I am concerned about this
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hWoc3c9aMQ and the warning he gives in the fix part https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_DnUwPpbKQ

2. I should choose it according to the max Watt its gonna be seeing at any given time right ?

Loads :
    1. Which is the most efficient cook top; induction or regular burner ?

2. Is there such things as DC burner and is it worth it over AC ones, consumption wise ?

3. Lights;
    a) Do I need that in order to put my lights on DC ? I just want to light regular living areas with either strips or squares.

b) Is putting the strips 20ish feet away from source with LVT 18 going to suffer from a drop on 24v ?

Sorry for the long post but once I get these answer I think I ll be good to go.

And thank you!!
    Last edited by KhellQc; 02-24-2016, 02:22 AM.
  • Mike90250
    • May 2009

1. Mttp seems to be the best choice when you live in Canada and obviously want to max production but I am scared it would require a lot of knowledge and programing. Is it really?
    (it's MPPT)

Then maybe you need to read through the stickies in the Off-Grid sections. You got to get a better handle on things before you design and buy anything.
    The software for Morningstar and Midnight controllers is pretty simple, once you understand what your batteries NEED (controllers come with basic generic settings) and how you need it modified.
    Morningstar is absolutely silent, the Midnight has 3 cooling fans. Inverters nearly always have a cooling fan that comes on at >40% loading

Cooking - Propane is your friend. Using batteries requires a huge inverter, and at least a 24V system much larger amperage than you would normally need. But induction hot plates are about 90% efficient - at least 2x what a thermal resistance heater would be. The only losses are in the AC inverter (must be pure sinewave (90%) and the electronics in the cooker (95%)

More than 20' of DC wiring and you should convert to AC, the expense of using heavy copper wire, rarity of DC rated switches and light sockets, overwhelm the convenience of the 12VDC cage.
    Last edited by Mike90250; 02-25-2016, 02:22 AM. Reason: added more comments
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• KhellQc
      • Feb 2016

yeah propane makes sense, and winter I ll have a wood stove. Im still not sure about the lighting, Putting it on AC wouldnt be a big deal but if I went the dc way I ll end up over heating my LEDS.

I did more research and will keep doing more. I still need answers to stuff I cannot find myself. Most of them are listed a the top, like
      Panel 2 & 3
      Controller 2 & 3
      Inverter 1

And now I have a new one regarding controller. I did new Calculation and the system would be 2kw and then I used 4 different Calculator to figure out how to set out the array and the proper controller. Ive looked at midnite classics 150 200 and 250 / also TSMPPT 45 and 60.

First everytime I use their calculator they say :

here on the 45 @ 24v

​Maximum Nominal Solar Input Power exceeded for this controller. Controller output current will be limited, reducing power harvest below Maximum Power Point levels. Full output of array will not be realized. No risk of damage to controller in this configuration.
      1 Module 290 580 870 1160 52.97 150.00 30.39 30.00 40.91
      2 Modules 580 1160 1740 2320 105.94 150.00 60.78 30.00 81.83

then on the 60 @ 48V
      2 Modules 580 1160 1740 2320 2900 105.94 150.00 60.78 60.00 81.83

but everytime if I add up the Vpm of each panel I bust the max tolerated by the controller. What am I doing wrong here

---------------------------

Also to add to the confusion, some calculator make me get 7-8 300w pannels and others 4 100w but with 9 100ah batteries
      Last edited by KhellQc; 02-25-2016, 02:42 PM.

Comment

• Mike90250
        • May 2009

Don't buy stuff yet. Before you size the controller , how did you come up with the daily usage. ?

I'll quote the famous Sunking about sizing the PV for the batteries, THEN you chose a controller. A large 12V system may need $1300 of controllers, where a 48V system needs only $600 for the same watthours of harvest, As voltage goes lower, the amps increase.

Originally posted by Sunking
        You must know two data points before you start.

1. Daily Watt Hours
        2. Solar Insolation for your location in the shortest winter months.

From those two data points everything is calculated. First determination is what battery voltage you will be using. For battery voltage anything below 1500 watt hours can be 12 volts, although 12 volts is very inefficient, expensive to implement, and can only input up to 1000 watt Solar Panels.

So let's run an example. Say you need 3 Kwh per day and in January your Solar Insolation is 3 hours. First try 24 volt battery. For the battery size AH = [Daily Watt Hours x 5] /Battery Voltage], so [3000 wh x 5] / 24 volts = 625 AH..

Panel Wattage = [Daily Watt Hours x 1.5] / Sun Hours, so [3000 x 1.5] 3 = 1500 watts.

Now for the MPPT charge controller Amps = Panel Wattage / Battery Voltage, so 1500 watts / 24 volts = 62.5 amps.

Lastly you need to do a sanity check for the batteries as batteries, FLA Batteries, have a window of charge current they can accept of C/8 to C/12 where C = the AH capacity, and the number is Hours. We determined it would take a 625 AH battery. To make that battery happy means we must charge it with no less than 625 AH / 12 hours = 52 amps, and no greater than 625 / 8 = 78 amps. So the range is 52 to 78 amps for a 625 AH battery. We calculated 62.5 amps @ 1500 watts. We have a perfect C/10 charge current.

So the answer to your question is do the math, do it correctly, and everything works out just right.

Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
        || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
        || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
        gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• Sunking
          Solar Fanatic
          • Feb 2010

Quit worrying about panel voltage. You will be using inexpensive Grid Tied Panels and MPPT CHARGE CONTROLLER. You can charge a 12 volt battery with 120 volt panels. Higher the voltage the better off you are within limits of the controller. You are not even remotely close to buying anything yet. You have not done your fist steps. Read these and come back with questions. But you had better nail your daily watt hour usage and solar insolation. Otherwise you will fail and waste your money. Once you fin dout what it really takes, you may decide to go a different route. I will tell you are looking a 5 digit$.

Off-Grid Design
          Battery Tutorial.
          Inverter/Battery Size
          Are you sure you want off grid
          WTF Battery Tutorial.
          Kill your battery

Plus the dozen other stickies.

MSEE, PE

Comment

Working...