Battery cabling/connecting

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MasterCATZ
    • Mar 2016

solar pete because it is an 24v Inverter that I am working with , and will be 2x 24v banks ( 12x2v 500AH batteries ) = 1000AH total ( yes typo )
    originally it was going to be my 60v Inverter , but after sending truck interstate to pick up the batteries they no longer had the lot of 48 batteries and only 24 remaining
    not happy over the $900 in transport cost for only 24 batteries

so now using these 24 to run my 24v Inverter , Instead of having 30x run my 60v Inverter and another 12 running 24v Inverter with 6x spare for 12v backup power project

inetdog I am unsure where I mentioned 12V ?

Thanks for the speedy replies how ever

I will now make use of both terminals now, glad I ordered extra flat-bar now 32mm x 6mm thick aluminium

Aluminum = 0.8 amps per sq.mm = 192 sq mm x 0.8 = 153 AMP
    I am expecting only 100 AMP Draw @ 24v = 2400 watts
    so all should be still good

and while I am at it which would be better small bus bars or large ones ?

smallbusbar.jpg

largebusbar.jpg
    Last edited by MasterCATZ; 03-16-2016, 11:13 PM.

Comment

• Sunking
      Solar Fanatic
      • Feb 2010

Originally posted by MasterCATZ
      because it is an 24v Inverter that I am working with , and will be 2x 24v banks ( 12x2v 500AH batteries ) = 100AH total
      Huh? I can only assume this is a typo and you meant 1000 AH because 100 AH is impossible.

I will now make use of both terminals now, glad I ordered extra flat-bar now 32mm x 6mm thick aluminum [/QUOTE]

Huge mistake which will pretty much destroy the batteries. Aluminum and Lead DO NOT PLAY together. Use copper bars. In fact use ones made for that battery, they are tin plated copper.

You do know those are Telecom Station Batteries right? You do know that are not made for cycle service and if used that way only have 150 to 200 cycles. You got them so cheap because the Telephone company that used them turned a liability into an asset selling them to you. They are made for Emergency Standby and Float Charged only. I know because I am an engineer who has installed thousands of that same battery in Cell Phone Tower sites.

MSEE, PE

Comment

• MasterCATZ
        • Mar 2016

Thanks for reply , yes typo

I did know about aluminium and oxidizing did not know about issues with lead however
        Batteries are only for backup power for running Fish tank Air pumps / water pumps ,

I wish they were cheap but I still paid $100 each from the junk yard , here in AU damn hard getting these as they are meant to be sent straight to China for recycling
        and most of the used batteries cost $100 per 12v/100 AMPS around here

Comment

• Sunking
          Solar Fanatic
          • Feb 2010

I wish they were cheap but I still paid $100 each from the junk yard
          Please tell me that was a Typo.
          MSEE, PE

Comment

• MasterCATZ
            • Mar 2016

no not a typo

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2V-VOLT-5...AAAOSw3xJVZnZA

same battery $160+ USED

batteries cost heaps here in AU

my plan is to use my old backup rack-mount 3000VA server UPS that I no longer use
            ( no idea if it will work with these batteries yet)
            to run my air/water systems for aquaponic greenhouse the $3300 was worth while risking to see if this would work
            hopefully it can save 1600 fish and Fruit and Veg crops during power failure

I must admit these where on my original hit list

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/6V-450AH-...cAAOSwAYtWQaTl

4x 6v lots would have been $2200 but those things where so heavy @ 80+kg I opted for the smaller 30kg 2v 500AH batteries

*edit*

yes unfortunately the ex telecom batteries have been found dumped in the woods in the past
            so now the old batteries have to be contracted to be sent directly to china
            (I guess they got sick of paying the fines when batteries were traced back to them ?)

not that I know why someone would dump dead batteries as you get paid $5~20 a battery at the dump

I just wish I could buy NiFe batteries cheaper
            1 cell which is 1.2volts 100 amp hours = $200
            or
            12v 1000Ah = $10 000

​but what I am really waiting for is Reflow batteries for be publicly available

and hoping this battery bank will buy me some time

so back on topic as i seem to have hijacked an old topic which would be best
            short bus bar , small tab running from each terminal -+ , -+
            or the
            long bus bar, bus running across both terminals -- . ++

Last edited by MasterCATZ; 03-17-2016, 12:16 AM.

Comment

• Sunking
              Solar Fanatic
              • Feb 2010

no not a typo

Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for 2v Volt 500 Ah Emerson Solar Deep Cycle Battery at the best online prices at eBay!

same battery $160+ USED

batteries cost heaps here in AU
              I hear you, but that is robbery. In the USA those batteries new sell for $300/Kwh, and used sell for $25 to $30/kwh.

AU government is just as silly as the US. You stated in AU, batteries have to be shipped to China for recycling. I assume that is AU law. In the USA we have something just about as stupid with a different twist. Lead Acid batteries are considered green here and tons of recycle centers take Lead Acid batteries. However the USA does not allow NiCd batteries to be recycled here, they must be shipped to Canada.

If you go to Europe, Russia, China, Japan or most all countries use wet NiCD batteries for Telecom and Emergency Stand By systems. Not in the USA, we use Pb exclusively due to Employment Prevention Agency environmental policy.

MSEE, PE

Comment

Working...