Battery cabling/connecting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battery cabling/connecting

I currently have a 300ah (6x50ah gel 12v batteries) battery bank connected to a buss bar via cables. Each battery has a cable going to a + or - buss bar. From there I connect a charge controller to the buss bar. I am going to be replacing the smaller bank with a larger and am considering a design change. Instead of using cable to connect each + and - to a buss bar i was considering a flat copper bar connecting all the + of each batter together and another connecting all the - together. I would then connect the charge controller + and - cable to opposite ends of the battery bank copper bar.

Reason for doing this is I have the copper flat bars already and don't want to spend more money to get new cables for the batteries if I can help it. Is this a reasonable design idea or is it a bad idea?

Any pitfalls to look out for?

Would this prevent me from adding another charge controller or inverter to the design?

thanks for your help
    --Ray
    8xSV-X-195-LV - 22.80 Voc - 18.30 Vmp - 10.66 Imp - 11.55 Isc
    2xUL Solar 85w - 21.9 Voc - 17.9 Vmp - 4.84 Imp - 5.17 Isc
    1xUL Solar 120w - 21.9 Voc - 18.1 Vmp - 6.6 Imp - 6.8 Isc
    7xHF 15w - 23.57 Voc - 17.5 Vmp - 0.86 Imp - 1.15 Isc
    MorningStar MPPT 60 Charge Controller
    Midnite Classic 150 Charge Controller
    700ah used Gel batteries
    Xantrex PROWatts 600 PSW Inverter
    HF 1000/2000 MSW Watt Inverter

Yes, go for it

I have 12 - 2V 2000Ah Batteries, all hooked up w/bars as opposed to Cables. Mine are even Aluminum.

Work fine, No losses.

Comment

Originally posted by Martshmoo View Post
      I have 12 - 2V 2000Ah Batteries, all hooked up w/bars as opposed to Cables. Mine are even Aluminum.

Work fine, No losses.
      Work fine, No losses Good for you. That means you have had the aluminum chem-film treated to prevent it from oxidizing. Very expensive, but reliable.

You do know that aluminum, instantly forms an insulating oxide layer the moment it is cut, or sanding stops. And that as thermal expansion happens, this works the connections loose. Talk to all the homeowners who lost houses to aluminum wire caused fires in the 60's & 70's. Using the right connectors, and anti-ox goop, and you are fine using aluminum,
      Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
      || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
      || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
      gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Work fine, No losses.
        Could you share a picture?
        --Ray
        700ah used Gel batteries

Comment

Just happen to have a Partial View

Originally posted by raydias View Post
          Could you share a picture?
          Here ya Go!

Moderator note-
          I converted & added .jpg version. .PDS's are very clumsy methods to show photos.

1st-Last_battery.jpg
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Mike90250; 02-07-2012, 02:30 AM. Reason: added JPG version. Mod.

Comment

Not sure I understand what the straps are on the battery tops - are they the buss bars ??
            Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
            || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

Comment

Here's my 12 2v 1200amp/hr battery bank with tin coated ( at least I think it's tin ) copper buss bars. The battery cables bolt to the two bars sticking out on the upper left side.

Comment

Originally posted by TnAndy View Post
                Here's my 12 2v 1200amp/hr battery bank with tin coated ( at least I think it's tin ) copper buss bars. The battery cables bolt to the two bars sticking out on the upper left side.

now that's a battery bank. I've been searching around for a similar setup.
                --Ray
                700ah used Gel batteries

Comment

I know what those are GNB Absolyte-II
                  MSEE, PE

Comment

Thanks Mike

Here ya Go!

Moderator note-
                    I converted & added .jpg version. .PDS's are very clumsy methods to show photos.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1723[/ATTACH]
                    Haha,

I converted it to pdf because the last time I tried to upload jpg's they were not taken for some reason...

Maybe my mac did not put the ".jpg" on the file...

Thanks for saving me time for the future

M

Comment

Originally posted by Sunking View Post
                      I know what those are GNB Absolyte-II
                      Yep. I bought 3 sets of them for $450. Two a year old, but never placed in service. One pulled from service after 4 years. Voltage checked fine on all cells.

Did I do good ?

Comment

They are only still good, if you have put them on a charger monthly. Otherwise, they are now expensive ballast.

Comment

Originally posted by TnAndy View Post

These are the same batteries and method I am about to do using flat bar to create 2x 24v banks

how ever after seeing this image I am now unsure if I should be using single pole or double poles per connection ?
                          I was just about to start cutting up my bars but
                          now unsure if I should make them longer to use both + - Terminals per connection

Comment

It is important to getting the lowest possible resistance that you use both terminals of each polarity on each battery.

One way to make a single 12V bank out of half the batteries is to look carefully at the middle battery in the second row from the top.
                            Without changing anything else remove the bars from the negative terminals of that battery and from the positive terminals of the battery to its left.
                            Now fabricate a bar to join the two negative terminals on the center battery to the two positive terminals of the battery on the left.
                            The large bus bars will now be 12V with the + on the top and the - on the bottom.
                            Reworking the lower half to make a second 12V battery will be even easier. Look at the two batteries that were disconnected in the process above. The + of one (in the center) and the - of the other (on its left) will be the + and - for your other new bank. You could bolt your second set of cables to the middle of each of the bars joining the two terminals of each battery instead of trying to extend it out of the outline of the battery bank.

But why would you want that high capacity in a 12V bank in the first place?

Since each battery is a single 2V battery, not two isolated 2V cells in the same case, there is no way to make two 24V banks out of them.
                            Last edited by inetdog; 03-16-2016, 08:57 PM.
                            SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

Howdy MasterCATZ and welcome to Solar Panel Talk, when you say 2 x 24v banks, why?? It would be more common to make a single 48v system or is that what you meant?

Comment

Working...
                              X