Type of battery charger to buy

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ho jo
    replied
    This is what I use on 4 6 volt 208 ah flooded battery Screenshot_20200707-105710_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20200707-105847_Chrome.jpg

Leave a comment:

• SunEagle
    replied
    Originally posted by chrisski

This could be a serious contender. I think I could get the 45 amp RV Battery charger, but I am a little unclear if I need to buy an $30 AGM card to attach to that. The brochure on the company web page says its good for AGM batteries, but further in sells an add on module to optimize the charging profile based off what battery you have. The charger itself comes with a standard 15 amp three prong plug. Also, the price will be really close to the NOCO Genius G4, maybe slightly more because I'd need to wire the batteries and then plug this in as if it were in the RV.

Amazon does not sell the 45 amp IOTA or the charge controller, but E-Bay sure does.
    I found a DSL-45/IQ4 12V IOTA charger on Amazon for $164 but I have Prime so maybe I get additional items

Leave a comment:

• chrisski
    replied
    Originally posted by SunEagle
    Have you looked at the RV type like IOTA. They make multi stage charges for RV battery systems which I believe include a "float" stage. They also range in amp ratings which should cover the 40A you are looking for.
    This could be a serious contender. I think I could get the 45 amp RV Battery charger, but I am a little unclear if I need to buy an $30 AGM card to attach to that. The brochure on the company web page says its good for AGM batteries, but further in sells an add on module to optimize the charging profile based off what battery you have. The charger itself comes with a standard 15 amp three prong plug. Also, the price will be really close to the NOCO Genius G4, maybe slightly more because I'd need to wire the batteries and then plug this in as if it were in the RV.

Amazon does not sell the 45 amp IOTA or the charge controller, but E-Bay sure does.

Leave a comment:

• SunEagle
    replied
    Have you looked at the RV type like IOTA. They make multi stage charges for RV battery systems which I believe include a "float" stage. They also range in amp ratings which should cover the 40A you are looking for.

Leave a comment:

• Mike90250
    replied
    I have 2 of the Genius chargers, as small float chargers, on batteries that are seldom cycled. I'm trusting in their algorithm to not boil the batteries dry
    If your batteries are really low, a 40A automotive charger will bring them right up to full, and then you can put them on the trickle charge.

The C10 charge requirement is for batteries in cycle use, to insure they charge up in 1 day,

Leave a comment:

• chrisski
    replied
    For the battery tender by Deltran, I can’t find the 40 amp one to make 10% to charge all four on one charger. The do have a 5 station 6Volt charger with a four star rating at twice the price of the Noco G4 I mentioned which has 4.5 stars. THe battery tender only makes a couple of 6 volt units, and looks the strongest one is the 5 station one I mentioned at 4 amps.

I’ve got Battery Tenders charging my 4 batteries at my house.
    Last edited by chrisski; 07-03-2020, 09:34 PM.

Leave a comment:

• bob-n
    replied
    Any thoughts on the Deltran Battery Tender family of products? I've been happy with them for my 12V battery use. For example:

They make other models as well, higher and lower current.

Leave a comment:

• chrisski
    replied
    Originally posted by Mike90250
    Kalifornia has destroyed the battery charger market. All charger shut off after a day. Oh, so that limits what chargers we can buy here. you are SOL if you are trying to recover a bum battery.
    I’m in Arizona, so it may make it hard to find one, but don’t know if AZ has the same ru.es.

Any recommendations on a charger to buy or a maintainer? I’ve had my 1.5 amp battery charger plugged into my four car batteries, and that does not seem to shut off, even when left for months. With that logic, I think the 6/12 volt, 4 station, 4 amp per station Noco Genius G4 would be fine and do just what I want, but don’t know for sure. The reviews say people have left them on this charger for months.

I think that if I need to bring one of the 6 volts back from the dead, I may purchase the 40 amp car charger, and then put it on the Noco maintainer when its recovered. If it comes to that, the maintainer is $200 and the 40 amp charger is $130, so I wish there was one charger maintainer that did it all.
    Last edited by chrisski; 07-03-2020, 07:54 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Mike90250
    replied
    Kalifornia has destroyed the battery charger market. All charger shut off after a day. Oh, so that limits what chargers we can buy here. you are SOL if you are trying to recover a bum battery.

Leave a comment:

• chrisski
    started a topic Type of battery charger to buy

Type of battery charger to buy

Need advice on a battery charger.

I'm looking to buy a battery charger for my RV batteries for when I remove them and take them back to the house. I am planning on getting four batteries, 6 volts, 220 amps each that I will wire 2 parallel and 2 series for 12 volts. When I bring them to the house they would be nearly charged, and not dead from a weekend of use.

To Charge Them in a 12 Volt Setup
    I looked for a 12 volt 40 amp charger, but I see what appears to be several 40 amp car battery chargers which do not mention if they would trickle charge batteries for long amounts of time.

Keep Batteries Charged on a mulit station trickle Charger
    I would like to purchase a 4 station 4.4 amp per station charger, the Noco Genius G4. It is rated for each station to charge 6V or 12V batteries. This would not be strong enough to truly charge the batteries, but the plan is to take the batteries off the RV charged and bring the batteries to the house and hook them up to this trickle charge.

Keep Batteries charged with multiple 10 amp chargers
    I would rather not, but I could purchase a 4 chargers 10 amps each, the Noco Genius 10. This starts to get pricey and is still not at 1/10th the amperage of the batteries.

Surprisingly, Battleborn and Trojan do not sell battery charger and maintainers on their site. I found VMaxx sells battery chargers.
Working...