Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lithium - breaking down the better battery------?????????????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lithium - breaking down the better battery------?????????????

Breaking down the better battery.

Stacking up to traditional, lead acid technology.
    Battle Born Battery 100 Ah LFP pack Lead Acid 200 Ah
    Usable Capacity 100 Ah 100 Ah
    Weight 29 lbs 144 lbs
    Warranty 3 years 1-2 years typically
    Origin Made in USA ???
    Lifetime Capacity 300,000 Amp Hours 30,000 Amp Hours
    Upfront Cost $949 $450
    Cost/Ah 0.35 cents / Amp-hour 1.65 cents/Amp-hour

Too bad all your data points are wrong. Try some reality next time .
    Last edited by Mike90250; 04-15-2018, 12:26 PM. Reason: not Karrak, unless he moved to CT
    MSEE, PE

Comment

As sunking said, something is quite wrong.
      The cells are likely foreign made, and assembled in Nevada. I highly doubt they mfg the LFP cells in country

a pair of 6V 200ah golf cart batteries will only set you back for $200 if you shop around, and you can recharge them when it's cold
      Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
      || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
      || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
      gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

yah, some guy on facebook is peddling this #@&$ to my fellow RV'ers and I'm looking for some "Sunking" attitude to sink his boat. So zing away please, tear it up, leave nothing unsaid, so I can offer some counter arguement to my fellow RV'ers. I'm personally in the L16 camp myself.

Comment

Hilarious, i was just about to make this same post dorff ! Been hearing about these for months, and basically assume that they're crap but don't know. I was hoping to get the input of the knowledgeable folks on here. My BS alarm is going off...but i can't elucidate why exactly...

Although from that table alone (which is copy/pasted from the company website), the warranty period (either in terms of years - 3, or cycles - 3000) is pretty damn short for LFP.

Sunking : You've already scoffed at this, which i had expected...and let's remember that i'm pre-disposed to be skeptical of this company -- and probably so is everyone else on here. But you have (very) recently described to me how self-contained battery packs (such as power tools) with their own "black box" BMS systems can be extremely reliable and only need a rudimentary voltage source such as a car alternator to power them. The BattleBorn product is a pack of cells, with (allegedly) integrated BMS, which claims that you only need a rudimentary charger to power it (although who knows how well they're matching the cells). The claim is identical. But does anybody here know a reason -- a real, tangible, convincing reason -- that the BattleBorn units are no good? Anybody actually cut that black box open? I would love to do it myself but it's not in the budget!

Basically i'm looking for solid technical info i can use to smack down people on Facebook (and hopefully save them a lot of $ and pain). My BS alarm is enough for me...but i've found that other people tend not to listen to my personal alarm very seriously....they need more compelling info...

Aw hell, they still don't listen to me. But i have to at least try.

- Jerud

Comment

Originally posted by zamboni View Post
            . . .you have (very) recently described to me how self-contained battery packs (such as power tools) with their own "black box" BMS systems can be extremely reliable and only need a rudimentary voltage source such as a car alternator to power them.
            ???

I've dissected several of them. Often they have no BMS at all. The DeWalt standard li-ions, for example, have a thermistor and inter-cell taps going to a connector. That's it. They rely on the charger and the tool to do everything else - balance, overvoltage protection, over discharge protection.

If you hooked a car alternator to one of those you'd have a toasty fire.

Comment

Although from that table alone (which is copy/pasted from the company website), the warranty period (either in terms of years - 3, or cycles - 3000) is pretty damn short for LFP.
              No it is greatly exaggerated. NCO, NMC, and most lithium battery types are in the 300 to 500 cycle range with a 1-year warranty. The one exception is LFP cells, and the best of the LFP manufactures is A123 Systems, and they only claim 1000 cycles. That is why I scoff at such claims.

Everything on that chart is fiction

MSEE, PE

Comment

Originally posted by jflorey2 View Post
                ???

I've dissected several of them. Often they have no BMS at all. The DeWalt standard li-ions, for example, have a thermistor and inter-cell taps going to a connector. That's it. They rely on the charger and the tool to do everything else - balance, overvoltage protection, over discharge protection.

If you hooked a car alternator to one of those you'd have a toasty fire.
                I have dissected zero of them. But post #9 in this thread, SunKing explained that some battery tool packs do have internal BMS. So that's why I was looking for further clarification.

My point is that, like the OP dorff , I am naturally skeptical of this product. But skepticism alone is not a convincing argument without factual support. Telling some wide-eyed Facebook RVer with too much spare cash that BattleBorn are bad news because some dude on SolarPanelTalk says so...is a waste of time. To people who are not familiar or techincally-minded, a table of specs which is not realistic is not a big red flag as it is to us. But these are exactly the people being marketed-to. So giving them specific, understandable reasons to stay away from a trouble product is important.

If the whole concept of BMS-in-pack were fundamentally flawed, that would be a little easier to explain to folks. But if BMS-in-pack is actually a good approach (when done correctly), then it will take more understanding...such as how the BB product may not be doing it correctly.

-Jerud

Comment

Originally posted by Sunking View Post
                  No it is greatly exaggerated. NCO, NMC, and most lithium battery types are in the 300 to 500 cycle range with a 1-year warranty. The one exception is LFP cells, and the best of the LFP manufactures is A123 Systems, and they only claim 1000 cycles. That is why I scoff at such claims.
                  I stayed up too late on the forum and didn't proof my post before hitting the button. Not too short, should have said too long!

Comment

If the whole concept of BMS-in-pack were fundamentally flawed, that would be a little easier to explain to folks.
                    Let's get down to the fact of the matter. BMS is a CYA liability issue. Without a BMS in consumer products, Li fires would be in the news everyday, and Li manufactures would be sued into bankruptcy. Li cells are dangerous, and the public does not know how to manage them. You cannot over charge or over discharge them without significant risk of fire.

With Nickel and Lead chemistry you can over discharge and over charge them with little risk, and most times does not destroy them. No automation is required. In fact you can leave both Nickel and Lead on a charger indefinitely. Having said that you can Float Li like you do Lead, but it requires more automation or you have to know what you are doing.

Bottom line is Li consumer packs must have a BMS as Joe Public is not knowledgeable enough to work with them. Sort of like hot coffee, the public does not know you get burned if you spill hot coffee in your lap. So hot coffee comes with Lawyers.
                    Last edited by Sunking; 04-23-2018, 08:00 PM.
                    MSEE, PE

Comment

Bottom line is Li consumer packs must have a BMS as Joe Public is not knowledgeable enough to work with them. Sort of like hot coffee, the public does not know you get burned if you spill hot coffee in your lap. So hot coffee comes with Lawyers.
                      Agreed. The problem is that your comment above seems like it would be in favor of these drop-in LFP batteries the OP is asking about. Perhaps I am mis-reading the initial post, but I think the dilemma is that a BMS-integrated LFP pack is actually a good idea. You've just said so. But I am still skeptical of these products because as we can all see, they are making ridiculous marketing-hype claims. Of course, that's what you have to do to run a business in America, so they (almost) can't be blamed. They state their batteries have internal BMS to prevent over-and under-charge, over-and under-temperature, to cap current at 1C, and to monitor the cell voltages for balance issues. Evidently inside those cases is a relay which will disconnect the internal pack from the external terminals in the case of any of these faults. Assuming they're not outright lying about any of this, it sounds like the product is basically doing the right things. I guess it's a question of whether or not the company did a good job. And how good their insurance is.

We don't know if they matched those cells, or balanced them, if they are low-quality junk cells, or if they're using vampire boards. So, those are all risks -- but we don't know.
                      Is the internal relay NO or NC...will it fail open or closed?
                      Also, disconnecting the charge controller "cold turkey" from the pack as a way to limit charge voltage is a poor approach.
                      And, what happens if a user decides to parallel a few of these and one BMS trips slightly before the other because of non-symmetric current?

Those are the only questions I know enough to ask. I'll be in Nevada later this year, although maybe not Reno. But if i'm there, i'll definitely drop in and see if they will show me what the insides of these things look like...

-Jerud

Comment

Let's get down to the fact of the matter. BMS is a CYA liability issue. Without a BMS in consumer products, Li fires would be in the news everyday, and Li manufactures would be sued into bankruptcy. Li cells are dangerous, and the public does not know how to manage them.
                        Note that this is not true in many tool batteries that use li-ion chemistry. They get around this by having the BMS in the tool and the charger - and since the battery cannot physically mate with anything else, protection is relatively assured.

Comment

Originally posted by jflorey2 View Post
                          Note that this is not true in many tool batteries that use li-ion chemistry. They get around this by having the BMS in the tool and the charger - and since the battery cannot physically mate with anything else, protection is relatively assured.
                          Perhaps, but I am a power tool junky and being naturally curious all my tools with Lithium cells have a BMS in the battery pack, the charger has 3-wire connection which threw me the first time I seen it. At first I thought it might be like a NiCd Power tool pack where the 3rd wire was from a thermistor. What I discovered it is a signal lead from the BMS inside the battery pack. As long as the pack sends back a voltage enables the charger. When the battery is charged, or if there is a problem detected the voltage is removed which shuts down the charger. At least that is what I have found with Dewalt and Craftsman power tools. However I agree each pack is proprietary and other manufactures are likely to take a different approach.

MSEE, PE

Comment

Is the internal relay NO or NC...will it fail open or closed?
                            NO

Also, disconnecting the charge controller "cold turkey" from the pack as a way to limit charge voltage is a poor approach.
                            Not really and it is not done to limit charge voltage. Charge voltage is fixed in the charger. It is a means to terminate a charge. Lithium batteries use a very simple CC/CV algorithm. Example your PL8 if you set it up for 100 AH LFP cells, it fixes the cell voltage to 3.6 volts. Initially when you start charging the charger is in Constant Current mode and say you set to 30 amps. As the battery charges the cell voltages rise to 3.6 volts and the charger holds 3.6 vpc and terminates when the charge current tapers down to C/10 or whatever value you selected.

And, what happens if a user decides to parallel a few of these and one BMS trips slightly before the other because of non-symmetric current?
                            Not sure there is a answer because it depends on how the system is set up. I think you have phrased the question in a lead acid POV which is incorrect. You do not connect Lithium cells in parallel like Pb batteries. Example a 12 volt Pb battery wired in 2P. Lithium batteries are paralleled at the Cell Level so you only have to use one BMS. See below.

What it all boils down to is Lithium batteries made for consumer products requires a BMS because they are dangerous and Joe Public is not capable of protecting themselves.

Pb on the left, Lithium on the right. As you can see below if you wired lithium like a Pb on the right would take a 6-channel BMS. On the left only requires 3 channels and you can monitor every cell.

Last edited by Sunking; 05-02-2018, 11:07 PM.
                            MSEE, PE

Comment

I know the relays should be NO, but are the BattleBorn units are designed this way? That's the thing with the BB product, we just don't know how robust their innards are. Are they low-power two-coil relays or do they draw 2A to pull in and hold? Evidently nobody knows any of these details except the manufacturer. That's my point for why i'm skeptical.

The HVD built into the BB batteries may not be intended to be the primary control for charge voltage, but the marketing is basically saying you can hook them up to any charge controller at 14.4V and let the battery worry about the rest. So the connected charge controller might not be capable of, or programmed to, charge to the right voltage. If it's a cheapo charger putting out more like 14.5, the batteries end up disconnecting the HVD to terminate each charge cycle.

As for my final point being "phrased in Lead Acid POV": Yes, exactly -- it is. I'm not talking about the cells i'm talking about the packaged 12V BB battery products themselves. BB is targeting RVers and boaters, and they think in lead-acid. They are explicitly telling them they can series/parallel the individual BB batteries to make a higher voltage or higher capacity bank. But each of those individual batteries will have it's own internal BMS with HVD, LVD, temp controls, etc. and they aren't "talking" to each other so some BMS might disconnect themselves before the others. Couldn't that lead to trouble?

Someone recently mentioned ReLion batteries to me, a similar idea as the BB batteries. LFP with integrated BMS. Their website has more tech info than BB; it states a low-voltage cutoff of 8V and high voltage cutoff of 15.6V. And cycle life? 3000-5000. I wonder if the BB batteries use similar voltage cutoffs. 2.0 VPC and 3.9 VPC don't sound like operating limits that result in a 5k cycle life...sounds like an impossible claim.

- Jerud

Comment

Working...
                              X