Lithium - breaking down the better battery------?????????????

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sunking
    Solar Fanatic
    • Feb 2010

Originally posted by zamboni
    The HVD built into the BB batteries may not be intended to be the primary control for charge voltage, but the marketing is basically saying you can hook them up to any charge controller at 14.4V and let the battery worry about the rest. So the connected charge controller might not be capable of, or programmed to, charge to the right voltage. If it's a cheapo charger putting out more like 14.5, the batteries end up disconnecting the HVD to terminate each charge cycle.
    Jerud here is what you are missing. A BMS cannot perform the initial Bulk Balance of any battery pack. A BMS can only make very small corrections. Example say you buy 200 AH LFP cells from a chi-com like CALB. When you receive them the SOC is all over the place. You can have as much a 10 to 20% difference in SOC values. In a 200 AH cell is 20 to 40 AH difference. A typical BMS Balance Current is 150 to 300 ma. So to use a balance charger do some simple math on the time it takes. 40 AH / 150 ma = 267 Hours to recharge or 11 days.

This is why if you buy cells the very first thing you do is connect all the cells in Parallel, and walk away for a day. Then you either Top or Bottom Balance with them in parallel. Then assemble them in series and you are ready to go. Balanced batteries stay in balance and only need very small minor corrections from time to time as they age and from parasitic losses. Example self discharge rate is NOT exactly equal in the cells. Example let them sit for a year, and you might have .05% difference in SOC.

When you buy a Lithium Battery pack, not cells, but say a 12 volt LFP for your car, or 48 volt pack for a golf cart or 360 volt pack for an EV or Solar System all the cells have already been matched in capacity and balanced for you already. The only charger they require is a very simple CC/CV charger with a fixed voltage of the appropriate current. Really any current less than 1C will work for most Lithium cells. As long as the charge current does not exceed the manufactures maximum charge limit is fine.

Right now today if you are foolish enough to pay $800 to $1100 you can buy a 12 volt battery for your car or truck. They are a drop in replacement for your Pb battery. No modifications are required to your vehicle. Today's automobiles have standardized the charge voltage to be 14.2 to 14.4 volts which is perfect for LFP, and Pb AGM batteries. So with the cells already balanced and the equipped BMS inside the battery make it a non issue for Joe Consumer. When you start the car engine all the cells reach 100% at roughly the same time. So even if the BMS only can bypass say 0.5 amps aka 500 ma is a matter of a few seconds. So if you were to measure charge current, initially you might see 50 amps for a few seconds, then drops to 0 amps almost instantly when the battery voltage equals the charger voltage and the battery is now 100% SOC.

Try it yourself with your PL8. Balance a set of batteries. Then discharge them down to say 50%. Now recharge at say C/2 and watch what happens. Example say they are 4S LFP 100 AH and you charge at 50 amps. The charger will pump 50 amps until the voltage reaches 14.4. As soon as they reach 14.4 volts, current will start to taper off. At 10 amps the charge will terminate and the Balance circuit likely never turned on, and if it did was only in the last minute or two.

With the exception of LiPo battery packs made for Hobby RC Planes, cars, quads, ect, all consumer Lithium batteries have built-in BMS in which the factory has matched the cells because they have 100's of thousands of cells to work with to match, and balance the packs at the factory. It is the only way you can make a commercial product work because Joe Public does not know how and it makes it a liability issue for the manufacture. Even with all that automation, lithium batteries still blow up. You hear it on the news all the time.
    Last edited by Sunking; 05-05-2018, 01:36 PM.
    MSEE, PE

Comment

• zamboni
      Solar Fanatic
      • Oct 2017

Sunking, your explanation re: balancing cells and balance currents is great, as usual. You've explained this to me before and I think I get what you're saying.

What I'm curious about, and what I believe dorff was asking about (where is he, anyway?), is whether these expensive integrated-BMS products are a good idea -- for those who wish to spend that kind of money. You ridiculed the marketing specs and claims in your first post...but everything you've said since then makes it sound like you think integrated-BMS batteries are a great idea. As you say, Joe Consumer can't be trusted to handle LFP so the manufacturers have to bake in the BMS. What you're saying makes perfect sense to me, but I still feel skeptical of these super expensive products like Battle Born and ReLion.

Let's say you have a friend with loads of $ who wants LFP but doesn't want to learn all the technical stuff to do it. Joe Consumer...with deep pockets (Joseph Consumer III, Esquire). Joe wants to buy 4 of these Battle-Born 12V batteries and parallel them into a 400Ah 12V bank for his Motorhome. Would you tell him, "Great idea, have fun"? Or "That will work great for a while but don't expect to see 3000 cycles"? Or "That's a dangerous rip-off, stay away"?

- Jerud

Comment

• Sunking
        Solar Fanatic
        • Feb 2010

Originally posted by zamboni
        Sunking, your explanation re: balancing cells and balance currents is great, as usual. You've explained this to me before and I think I get what you're saying.

What I'm curious about, and what I believe dorff was asking about (where is he, anyway?), is whether these expensive integrated-BMS products are a good idea -- for those who wish to spend that kind of money. You ridiculed the marketing specs and claims in your first post...but everything you've said since then makes it sound like you think integrated-BMS batteries are a great idea.
        OK stop right there. All consumer lithium battery products require a integrated BMS for the public safety and ignorance. In my use in golf carts, is not a consumer product. I know what I am doing. The ridicule is drawn for the false claims made by the equipment manufacture, not the OP. Everything made comparing PB to Li is absolutely false. That is what drew my fire. If there is any critique to the OP is if he/she believes that crap, needs a reality check and is naive.

I cannot tell anything about the battery the OP is referencing too other than the claims are pure BS. What I do know is who the battery manufactures are, and which ones are the best, and none make any such claims or remotely close. What this equipment manufacture is doing is buying cells from some battery manufacture and putting them in some box, and then claim something that is not possible. At the same time they use specs from the lowest quality Pb battery they can find to make a comparison against. I dare them to try to stack up their claims against say a Trojan Industrial line battery with a 10 year warranty you can actually file against at 1/3 the cost and at 80% DOD have 2000 cycles. In the end of life last 3 times longer at 1/10 the cost. Not even remotely close.

With that said, I am happy you are starting to grasp what I am saying, and I am more than happy to help you or anyone.
        Last edited by Sunking; 05-05-2018, 05:19 PM.
        MSEE, PE

Comment

• zamboni
          Solar Fanatic
          • Oct 2017

I'm pretty sure nobody thinks you were flaming the OP. Just the specs he was asking about -- which he also was pretty clear he did not believe. Thanks for being patient.

Certainly the comparison is unfair because it uses a crappy Pb battery to compare against. That's marketing, and I ignored it. The specs for the Battle-Born product do look over-stated, and that's disingenuous of them, which is enough reason to avoid it.

It sounds like, if someone sold an integrated-BMS LFP drop-in with realistic-seeming specifications, then aside from proving an actual track record of longevity and warranty support, the product would actually be attractive. But none of these things have been around long enough to have a track record.

- Jerud

Comment

Working...