Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

About to buy an AGM battery bank. Anything new or economical I should consider?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Withalligators View Post
    Copy that. Never solder terminals again. What about the inter-cell cables, what gauge should I use? I can probably order premade ones, right?
    Same size as the largest conductor you use to the loads. You can order cables. Let me know if you need help with that and what gauge.

MSEE, PE

Comment

Can I oversize them in case I decide to put a large inverter in down the line? IE, can I use 2/0 cables with copper terminals?

Also, I think I'm going to have to go back to Lifeline 2Vs. Despite the sun xtender line being built for solar, they aren't warranted for mobile use. With the Lifelines, I get 1 year full, plus a 5 year pro-rated. I'm trying to decide on an alternator charging solution. I had the Samlex ACR-160 in my old rig. This provides whatever the alternator is producing, but would a DC DC charger be smarter? They're about 3 to 4 times as expensive, but then I'm not taxing the alternator as hard, and getting a constant charge (I would go with a 60A) in my case. I could also use it for a lithium bank if that ever becomes feasible. How many amps are the Lifeline AGMs capable of absorbing do you think?
      Last edited by Withalligators; 04-19-2018, 05:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Withalligators View Post
        Can I oversize them in case I decide to put a large inverter in down the line? IE, can I use 2/0 cables with copper terminals?
        Absolutely, requirements are minimum for safety. As for the battery end of the cable lead plated copper is best but not required. Get online and order a small tube of Sanchem NO OX ID A Special. Coat all connections lightly and it will last and protect electrical connection or any metal until you bury your grand children. There is no better product at any price

Last edited by Sunking; 04-19-2018, 05:52 PM.
        MSEE, PE

Comment

Wow, that was quick, sir. You are on point! A tube of what? Some dielectric grease or something? EDIT- I see, thanks!

Comment

Working...
          X