No announcement yet.

Getting a handle on kW usage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well I mentioned it, it's just I can't connect my watt meter to it because of direct wiring. I'll find out tonight what it uses, but would be surprised if it uses a real lot. These things (mine) only have a 10 gallon reservoir.

Comment

Originally posted by -TX- View Post
      Well I mentioned it, it's just I can't connect my watt meter to it because of direct wiring. I'll find out tonight what it uses, but would be surprised if it uses a real lot. These things (mine) only have a 10 gallon reservoir.
      The problem with most hot water reservoirs is that it may not be properly insulated and if it can heat the water automatically then you will find it cycling a lot trying to maintain the water temp.

Comment

You're right on that. I know I can insulate it more, I'll wait on that until I find out much of a hog it is.

Comment

The hard wired devices are the big users. The rest is peanuts.
          MSEE, PE

Comment

No difference
            usage.png

Sunking, will a 120/3000/24 inverter/charger really use that amount of energy? It's the only thing left, but it's in float mode and DC usage at night is like zero.

edit: Actually, not the only thing left. Fridge gets shut down tonight.
            Last edited by -TX-; 02-22-2017, 11:30 AM.

Comment

No difference
              usage.png

Sunking, will a 120/3000/24 inverter/charger really use that amount of energy? It's the only thing left, but it's in float mode and DC usage at night is like zero.

edit: Actually, not the only thing left. Fridge gets shut down tonight.
              It looks like you have a couple of spikes at 220wh. One at 12:45am and another at 5:30am with a few smaller ones in the 100 - 200 wh range. I still think you have some load that is cycling.

Comment

Some load, yes. At this point that has to be either the fridge or the inverter ramping up charging for DC withdrawal on batteries. DC is consuming .5 kWh per day, do you think the charger stays in float mode to handle that or do you think it switches to absorb charge on occasion?

690ah/24v

Comment

Some load, yes. At this point that has to be either the fridge or the inverter ramping up charging for DC withdrawal on batteries. DC is consuming .5 kWh per day, do you think the charger stays in float mode to handle that or do you think it switches to absorb charge on occasion?

690ah/24v
                  Depends on the CC control system and the condition of the batteries. If they drop to a lower voltage the CC might go into high charge rate and then cycle off to float.

I had a similar problem with my old Iota CC in my RV. My 2 x 6v coach batteries were going south and the CC kept trying to keep them above 12.5volts. It actually ended up boiling away most of the fluid in two cells so I replaced them along with a newer CC/inverter made by Power Max.

Comment

The board's recommended hydrometer resulted in 100% (actually looked like it was above 100%). That was expected as they're only a couple of months old.

Comment

The board's recommended hydrometer resulted in 100% (actually looked like it was above 100%). That was expected as they're only a couple of months old.
                      That may eliminate the high energy user being the battery charging system, but unfortunately you still have a big vampire the sucks down your kWh about every hour or so during the night.

Comment

I just recognized that those 15 minute usage stats are 2 days old, so I'll have to wait through Saturday to find out about the water heater and fridge. I suspect it's the fridge because the site's on demand number, which is real time, didn't change much since yesterday if I recall correctly.

Comment

How water heater @ 800kWh a night, which is ridiculous seeing that I'm sleeping with all windows open. I'm going to wrap it in insulation today while the temp is stable,and see if I can bring that down.

hwOFF.png

Comment

How water heater @ 800kWh a night, which is ridiculous seeing that I'm sleeping with all windows open. I'm going to wrap it in insulation today while the temp is stable,and see if I can bring that down.

hwOFF.png
                            You might also want to check the thermostat and see what temperature the water heater is trying to maintain. They are usually set high but can be lowered to your comfort level and usage.

Comment

BOOM!

fridgeOFF.png

Appears that fridge compressor is running 24/7, which I feared. This time slot is just 1/3rd a day (at coolest times, no less) so extrapolating over a full day suggests fridge alone is responsible for over 35% of my overall usage. I knew there was an issue because it would freeze up every few months (I did change thermistor and board already), now I know how bad it is.

New fridge ordered, and hey! 40% more capacity. Yeh for me!

Hot water heater insulated as well. Based on new fridge energy ratings, I think I just saved myself 5~ kWh per day.

Comment

For anyone interested.

Change attributed to wrapping water heater and installing EE fridge. My solar project has already saved me $200~ a year.

usage.png

Comment

Working...
                                X