Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SunEagle
    Super Moderator
    • Oct 2012

Doesn't it feel good to find the problem?

Comment

• -TX-
      • Feb 2017

It does. I guess the old fridge had more than one source of AC (fridge, icebox?), so my wattmeter didn't catch the problem. Thing must have been running 24/7. New fridge is larger and costs 1/3.

SunKing's suggestion to wrap water heater reservoir helped a lot too it seems.

Since I've been observing power usage and making changes, my kW used have decreased markedly. I started at 110kW and last week was down to 82kW. With a full week on new fridge, next week should be around 60~. Yeh for me!

Comment

• SunEagle
        Super Moderator
        • Oct 2012

Originally posted by -TX-
        It does. I guess the old fridge had more than one source of AC (fridge, icebox?), so my wattmeter didn't catch the problem. Thing must have been running 24/7. New fridge is larger and costs 1/3.

SunKing's suggestion to wrap water heater reservoir helped a lot too it seems.

Since I've been observing power usage and making changes, my kW used have decreased markedly. I started at 110kW and last week was down to 82kW. With a full week on new fridge, next week should be around 60~. Yeh for me!
        I work for a company that tells Engineers that "you can't fix what you don't know is broken". Basically without a way to monitor your energy consumption you have no way of knowing how to reduce it. The power infrastructure is very inefficient and is not set up to mitigate harmonics. Unless people start to replace it with equipment that is better suited or use electricity more wisely their money is just flying out the window.

Comment

• J.P.M.
          Solar Fanatic
          • Aug 2013

[QUOTE=-TX-;n344571Since I've been observing power usage and making changes, my kW used have decreased markedly. I started at 110kW and last week was down to 82kW. With a full week on new fridge, next week should be around 60~. Yeh for me![/QUOTE]

More observational proof that:

1.) You'll use less of things you keep track of.
          2.) Conservation measures are more cost effective that solar. If the goal is to save money, reduce use before anything else.
          3.) Knowledge is power. Get some of the first and you'll use less of the second.

Comment

• -TX-
            • Feb 2017

Yes sir, and if I had paid a firm to install everything there's no way I'd have learned what I have so far.

Comment

• SunEagle
              Super Moderator
              • Oct 2012

Yes sir, and if I had paid a firm to install everything there's no way I'd have learned what I have so far.
              Well if we lived near each other I would have happily performed a power quality survey for free.

Of course it would have cost you for me to fix any problem I found.

Comment

• -TX-
                • Feb 2017

West Texas?

I could use that too. I'm still not confidant on all the electrical after SunKing scared the dickens out of me. It seems right but what do I know? (I know I'd have no confidence contracting a local firm. W TX is ripe with hacks)

Comment

• bcroe
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Jan 2012

I started at 110kW and last week was down to 82kW.
                  You mean, 110 kwHour and 82 kwHour? Bruce Roe

Comment

• -TX-
                    • Feb 2017

Yes sir

Comment

• cebury
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Sep 2011

So 45% reduction by just buying new EE fridge and wrapping your electric water heater? Nice.

Comment

• J.P.M.
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Aug 2013

Originally posted by cebury
                        So 45% reduction by just buying new EE fridge and wrapping your electric water heater? Nice.
                        More anecdotal indications that conservation measures and use reduction can be much more effective than expensive PV.

Comment

• SunEagle
                          Super Moderator
                          • Oct 2012

Originally posted by J.P.M.

More anecdotal indications that conservation measures and use reduction can be much more effective than expensive PV.
                          Think of how much we could have saved if we trained our teenagers to just turn off the lights when they left their rooms.

Comment

• J.P.M.
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Aug 2013

Originally posted by SunEagle

Think of how much we could have saved if we trained our teenagers to just turn off the lights when they left their rooms.
                            My observation is that behavior is not f(age).

Cattle prods are a good training aid.

Comment

• cebury
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Sep 2011

Originally posted by SunEagle

I realize this was facetious, but it reminded me when I had anger issues during the emotional roller coaster that high school was. Let's just say the step-dad that was hounding and grounding me for leaving a light on all night nearly pushed me over the edge... middle-of-the-night baseball bat thoughts. Since, I've two grown sons and you just never quite know what's going on in their hormone filled heads during that period. I didn't want my sons thinking at my funeral what a sob I was about electricity waste, heh.

Comment

• SunEagle
                                Super Moderator
                                • Oct 2012

Originally posted by cebury

I realize this was facetious, but it reminded me when I had anger issues during the emotional roller coaster that high school was. Let's just say the step-dad that was hounding and grounding me for leaving a light on all night nearly pushed me over the edge... middle-of-the-night baseball bat thoughts. Since, I've two grown sons and you just never quite know what's going on in their hormone filled heads during that period. I didn't want my sons thinking at my funeral what a sob I was about electricity waste, heh.
                                It is all checks and balances. When you are young and don't have to pay the bills leaving the lights on is not a big priority in your life. When you go out on your own getting that second cup of starbucks coffee might make you think twice.

Some families create a reward system where if the electric/water bill is below a budget number every one goes out to a family fun night but if the bill is high then every one loses access to the TV or long hot showers. It has to cover everyone in the house hold or it would seem unfair to some of the members. Just something that could be tried to help keep the costs down.

Comment

Working...